An experiment

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by WWS, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWS

WWS Registered Member

I copied the Primary snapshot as a new archive to the secondary internal drive. It took about 70 minutes to copy 24.5 GB.
    As an experiment, I dragged and dropped that archive from the internal hard drive to an external hard drive and that took about 43 minutes for the 24.5 GB archive.
    Would you think anything has been lost by dragging and dropping?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

43 minutes.:D It should be fine, but it would be better to create the archive where you want it, or ideally one on the internal and one on the external.

Pete

3. WWS

WWS Registered Member

So, for those who wish to have archives on two drives, drag and drop will save time (almost half) as opposed to creating two new archives.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Actually, while I don't see why it should work, I've never actually done it that way. Plus since I update archives frequently, I end up rebuilding them about every 6 weeks, as with any database file they do get disorganized, and there is no compact function in FDISR. So what ends up happening is the time finalizing keeps growing.

Pete

5. Coff

Coff Registered Member

When you drag and drop an archive it seems you lose the compression benefits, for the copied archive, which may or my not be important to you depending on how much space you have on your external drive(s).

For example, I have an archive with a size of 1.64GB but the size on the Disk is only 1.13GB. Aftger dragging and dropping it elsewhere the size of the copy remains at 1.64GB but the size on the disk is also 1.64GB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.