An error occurred when opening archive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by divrdon, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. divrdon

divrdon Registered Member

I am really in a bad spot. I had a hard drive crash on me, but I had the image backed up on an external hard drive. But when I try to access it, I get a message that says "This is not the last created volume of the backup archive. Please insert the last created volume to start working with this archive." Well, this is the ONLY created archive, and I NEED the data.

When I try to explore the archive file, I get an error message that says:

An error occurred when opening archive:

Archive is invalid or its type is unsupported. (0x400001)
    Tag = 0x5B2229AB74EF6533
    Cannot Open archive for reading. (0x400002)
    Tag = "H:<image name.tib>"
    This is not the last volume of the backup archive. (0x40012)
    Tag = 0x6517E0ECF4E1009F

If I try to mount or otherwise recover the file, I get an error that says "Selected file is not Acronis True Image Home archive or is corrupted. Please, select another backup archive."

It seems as though others have had similar problems. I have upgraded to the newest build, and ran a chkdsk h: /r on the drive. No luck. I have also tried running the recovery from the bootable rescue disk.

HELP! A hard drive crash is precisely why I purchased this software to begin with. As I said, I NEED this data. Is there anything else I can try?

2. _Kento_

_Kento_ Registered Member

Hello divrdon,

Since you mentioned explore function I guess you use version 10.0 of Acronis True Image and build 4942 (which is the latest one), but can you confirm this.

Have you tried to copy the image from the external USB drive to local drive?

If not, try this and then validate both in Windows and under BootCD (btw BootCD should be created with build 4942). What are the results?

Just as a test try to create a new archive and store it to external drive. Then validate it to make sure it is good. This test could help to figure out if the problem related to this particular image archive or to hardware (memory in most cases). Memory test (http://memtest.org/) could be useful to check memory.

3. divrdon

Thanks for your reply. I don't have enough room on any local drive to copy the file, but I have copied it to a firewire drive with the exact same results. I'm really at a loss as to what is going on.

4. dougeeebear

dougeeebear Registered Member

I have gotten corrupted messages trying to verify and/or restore split images that were copied onto to an external hard drive, but were fine on the second partition of the installed hard drive.

I'm assuming since you said your hard drive crashed, that you are replacing it.

If your backup archive has split images, a possible suggestion might be to install your new hard drive, create a second partition on it and format both partitions.
    Then copy the images to the second partition.
    Then using the recovery CD, try to restore the backup to partition 1.

Hope this helps,
    Doug

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  5. divrdon

Thanks for your suggestions, Doug. I appreciate it very much. I have a couple of hard drives I can use for this purpose, and when I copy the image to another drive, I get the same results. I wish there was some way I could break into the file, and extract at least SOME of the data. This ALL OR NOTHING problem is costing me a LOT of down time.

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.