Amon slow to start

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by Cam, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cam

Cam Guest

Without any apparent warning the Amon antivirus monitor has suddenly started to take about a minute to start up when windows starts.
    I am using xp professional. If I wait about a minute the program loads without any problems.
    If I bring up the task manager it indicates that amon has stoped responding. This is really annoying. I have uninstalled and reinstalled nod32 but the problem is still there. The only way I can stop it, so far, is to reinstall xp.

Cam

2. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

Did you install any new software ?

3. cam

cam Guest

The last 2 items of software I installed were an update to IE6 and an updated version of zonealarm. Everything worked fine for several weeks without any problems. I have uninstalled the updates but it made no difference. If these two programs appear to be the problem I cannot understand why it would take several weeks of using the computer before the slow start problem appears.

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

cam - What other programs are you runnning that have updated defs lately besides those two? Pete

5. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Cam,

By "slow to start", does that mean the NOD splash is on screen for that period of time after boot? If so, have you checked the number of files reported as scanned by AMON right after boot and does it show many thousands?

Phil

6. cam

cam Guest

No other programs have been updated so far. I have not updated IE6 with the ie6sp1 update and I am using a different firewall program. So far the problem has not returned.
    The splash screen stays up for the whole time. Once it goes away everything seems to be fine. During this time there appears to be only the occasional disk access. The disk access light on my computer does not show any continuous activity, just the occasional flash.
    My computer is an athlonxp1800 with 256mb.

7. Phil

Phil Registered Member

If you will check AMON right after the splash goes away, I think you will see a *large* number of files reported as scanned, even though you don't see any HDD activity. I had the same strange behavior happen to me on my XP Pro system about 5-6 months ago. It started right after an update. At times I would have the "freeze" for almost 4 minutes and AMON would report scanning up to 150,000 files in that time. The time would decrease a little with each boot as would the reported files scanned. Mind you, the reported scanning of 150,000 files was on a system with less than 40,000 total on the system. It wasn't actually scanning ANYTHING. The freeze time would decrease until the next update and then go back up. After I was FINALLY able to get support to respond, they started working on the problem, us trading emails back and forth. I was corresponding with "Jan", the same one that posts in this forum. After about 4 or 5 weeks into the problem, Jan sent me a logging DLL in an attempt to track the problem. After I installed the DLL to get the info, the problem never happened again. I replaced the DLL with the original. The problem went away as suddenly and unexplained as it appeared and has not returned. Surely you and I are not the only people in the world to experience this problem so ESET may have a fix. I would suggest contacting Jan via email or try to get his attention in this forum. The problem is VERY irritating, in particular when it extends to 4 minutes.

Phil

8. cam

cam Guest

Thanks Phil. I will wait and see if Jan has a look in here. Otherwise I will try and contact him.

Cam

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

When I first purchased NOD, about 2 months ago, my Amon splash screen would stay up for about a minute every single time; I thought it was normal behavior so I never thought anything about it. Then suddenly after a couple of weeks it started staying up for only a few seconds and it has remained that way ever sinceo_O

10. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hi cam,

please try this:

- get Amon screen from the lower taskbar icon

- click on "Setup" button

- click on "Target" folder

- in section "Files" and undersetion "Scan on" uncheck the box "create"

- reboot the machine

-give me feedback.

jan

11. cam

cam Guest

I have installed all of the programs that I had before the slow start problem started. I guess I will now wait until the problem returns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.