AMON scanning question

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by quadrophonic, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

I've set up NOD32 v2.7 as per instructions on this board, and I'm finding that programs are slow to open, and when I copy and paste folders from one drive to another, the procedure slows down because AMON is scanning every file. The same goes for extracting archives using a unzipping program or Winrar.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

What about if you open AMON -> Setup -> the first "Detection" tab -> Extensions and uncheck "Scan all file types" but only known file extensions . Have you performed full scan to ensure you are malware free...:thumb:

3. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I've only seen major slowdowns when AMON is set to scan runtime packers and when I actually run or move such files.
    It makes my comp unbelievably slow.

4. quadrophonic

Is it safe to uncheck "scan all file types"? I was looking for the most effective security setup.

I haven't done the full scan yet because it was taking hours for the NOD32 on demand scanner to check my email folders. I had done one with Avira PE Classic and except for two photos in one archive that were recognized to contain trojans, I was clean. However, I know that the signatures for PE Classic don't contain as many malware definitions as NOD32.

I'm going to set up a full scan soon. I may just exclude the email folders and then scan those separately. Would you suggest excluding media files?

5. quadrophonic

I thought Blackspears thread suggested checking all options including runtime packers and self extracting archives (didn't it recommend checking everything on the options tab?

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Fairly safe . Also , if this doesn't help , try to uncheck only the run-time packers (in AMON) as Brian suggested

You can't exclude anything in NOD32's on-demand scanner

7. quadrophonic

I just realized that! :'(

After reading this, I'm a little reluctant to uncheck runtime packers:
    http://www.only4gurus.com/v3/preview.asp?resource=11255

I have several gigs of email archives that seem to take forever to scan.
    One feature that NOD32 doesn't have (in addition to excluding folders during the on demand scan) is a percentage completed total. I see the bar that indicates how much has been scanned thus far, but the percentage count appears to be for a particular file. I actually saw the counter go up to 184% for one file!

It would be nice if there was an estimated completion time, file counter, and percent completed indicator.

I just started it up again and noticed one more time that the email folders will take hours to scan. This looks like an overnight job. Avast and Avira scanned the whole drive in several hours or less. I'm not complaining, however, if NOD32 does a more thorough job. I'm probably going to have to just set up a profile and add all the folders from the OS drive except the email folders, and then just scan those separately with a different profile setup.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  8. quadrophonic

Just noticed that you can't see the AV scan percentage completion in the control center, but it is listed on the NOD32 button on the bottom taskbar.

I just finished scans of the OS drives (without the email archives), and a separate scan of the email archives, and the time was very reasonable. Under two hours for both. I don't know why it was taking so long the other night.

Now I just have several other partitions on two drives to scan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.