AMON Randomly Dies

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by dwood, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwood

dwood Registered Member

Does anyone know when 2.51.26 will be released as a PCU (program component update) on the update servers?

As we have had random problems with AMON dying and causing a PC to blue screen and reboot endlessly or a Server to stop updating and upon rebooting failing to start. This only seems to appear on versions 2.50.25 and below.

The Only fix I have found is to upgrade the effected machine/s to 2.51.26.

This might be one for Eset to answer

Thanks

Dan

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , according to ESET nothing so importat has changed to cause such thing / errors /

How many protected by NOD32 computers do you have in your networks ?

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

No changes have been made in the mean time that would result in such issues.

4. dwood

dwood Registered Member

We have roughly 500 protected machines, but it has only happened on about 10 - 15.

The only way to resovle the blue screening machines is to boot into safe mode unistalled and reinstall NOD32.

I was just wondering when/if Eset were going to release 2.51.26 as a program component update?

Dan

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

How much RAM do these machines have?

Cheers :D

6. dwood

dwood Registered Member

The majority of our PC's have at least 512MB and Servers 1GB RAM

7. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Then use the latest version and everything will be just fine. :)

8. dwood

dwood Registered Member

Thats what I would like to do but I don't want to do a push install on 500 machines. I would rather they did the update via PCU.

9. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Hope ESET will release an update for PCU. :)
    If you get no answer here(but I think Marcos or agoretsky can help you) try to contact also support@eset.com, perhaps they can give you a specific solution.

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

If this appears on only 10 to 15 computers , sorry , but why don't you sit at them and manually reinstall them ! ? ? ? ? ;)

It is simple , create install packs , use a batch file and reinstall
    I would create 2 folders -> nt and 98
    Then Download the latest version from ESET's site and extrack the installs into these two folders , the 9x version into 98 folder and the XP/2000 version into the nt folder . Using Configuration utility from NOD32's LanUpdate version (Admin version) in Start->Programs->ESET modify the original xml files in the two folders with your own settings .

At the end , create two bat files for the two folders
    bat files examples
    D:\path\nt\setup.exe /cfg=path\config.xml /silentmode /reboot

D:\path\98\setup.exe /cfg=path\config.xml /silentmode /reboot

where path is the path for the folders and config.xml is the name of your modified xml file

Copy the existing path into a CD/DVD and use them to install NOD32 in these 10-15 computers .
    Goto Control Panel-> Add/Remove programs and Uninstall NOD32
    Reboot
    Goto C:\Program files and manually delete the folder ESET
    Install NOD32 from the bat files you just created

Good luck ! :thumb:

11. dwood

dwood Registered Member

The 10 - 15 machines that this has happened on we have already upgraded to the latest version, as it was the only way to fix them.

The reason I would like to see 2.51.26 released as a PCU upgrade would be a proactive prevention rather than reactive.

Dan

12. jbw

jbw Registered Member

I've just switched my machine on. Everything booted fine. Got into windows, nod32 told me it had updated, then I got a blue screen and it reset itself. I'm now back in windows and the Pc is telling me it can't run Amon because the file cannot be found? Nod reports I'm running version 2.51.26 Base, Internet support and standard component versions. I'm a single user on a home network so updates arent much of a problem. Do I need to boot into safe mode to uninstall and fix this?
    This has never happened before!!! Eset, if you're listening an explanation would be very handy!

System spec:
    Dell Precision 670
    Dual 3.2 ghz Xeon Nocona
    2GB Ram
    Quadro 3400FX
    3ware Raid w/ 3x 250GB in raid 5 array.

ta,
    jbw

13. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi jbw, welcome to Wilders.

What previous antivirus were you running before installing NOD32?

Cheers :D

14. jbw

jbw Registered Member

It's a fresh install so no previous antivirus. I formatted 3 weeks ago and began the lengthy process of re-installing everything.
    After my rant in the last post I decided to have a go at fixing and found my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse were out of action. I rolled back 1 day (using system restore) and restarted... Logitech error appeared and told me to reinstall software. Amon warned it could not start as file was missing. I installed latest Logitech software over the top of the current install and restarted. On login Amon came back to life? Totally bizarre... the minidump from the stop error referenced my sound driver as being at fault but I think this is just a red herring.
    I'm now totally confused as to what caused this but grateful i managed to get my machine back up and running so quickly.

Could there be an issue between Nod32 and logitech drivers? Seems odd that Amon would not load until Logitech software had been sorted.

ta,
    jbw

15. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Sorry to drop into this but I'm experiencing the same I guess.

for a week or two, AMON stops working and the green icon turns into red .. I am an overclocker (I boost my cpu from time to time for benchmarks and stuff) and I don't know if this is the reason for AMON not working anymore .. but I do this for two years now (oc'ing) but since two weeks AMON stops working and on random occasions like a simple reboot.

Is there something we can do about this? I had reset my cpu to standard speeds but AMON refuses to work properly. Reinstalling is the only solution but I have already done this three times...

best of wishes,

16. dwood

dwood Registered Member

I don't think overclocking is the issue here as we have been getting this on stock speed Celeron's.

The only way is to solve the problem is reinstall NOD32, but I can't do know why this happens in the first place, as I've had this problem on servers which have been running happly for months.

Dan

17. jbw

jbw Registered Member

dwood & Infinity - are you getting the same error that I recieved.
    'Amon could not start because a file cannot be found?' (or similar).

My machine only restarted once not multiple times. No overclocking here either.

ta,
    jbw

18. dwood

dwood Registered Member

jbw,

The PCs that have had this just blue screen on boot up and continually do this, the only way to fix them is to press F8 and enter Safe Mode then reinstall NOD32.

The Servers on the other hand refuse to update so you reboot them hoping it will fix them and they will begin updating again, but they then give you 'Amon could not start' or something similar, so you have to reinstall NOD32 to fix. Luckily Servers don't seem to suffer from the endless reboots that PCs seem to suffer from.

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.