AMON in Action!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by mecute, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackm

jackm Registered Member

While not the same thing as the problem AMON has with read only files, I found another related quirk in AMONs treatment of infected files.

With "move to quarantine" disabled and "prohibit access & show alert" enabled.

When AMON detects eicar.com and while the "Threat detected" dialog is visible and prompting for action (and prohibiting access) it is possible to both rename the file and change the file attributes (tested from right-click properties and command prompt.)

Of course it would also be possible to accomplish this even with "move to quarantine" enabled if the file is read only as AMON does not actually move the file, only copying it.

I can't think of a way that this could be used to circumvent AMONs protection just now, however I didn't expect this kind of access to be possible.

Again, this is not the same as AMONs issue with read-only files.

Cheers.

2. extratime

extratime Registered Member

This sounds seriously alarming! Am I missing something or is this a huge vulnerability in NOD32?

I really wish some of the NOD32 representatives would chime in here.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I couldn't do what you describe . I tested yesterday . No matter how many times I tried , AMON pop-up immediately after clicking in the infected file or right clicking . After the pop-up I couldn't do anything with this file , Windows was irresponsible . Anyway , that is why it is always better to have "Move newly created file to quarantine" enabled ;)

4. mecute

mecute Registered Member

Send you PM.

5. mecute

mecute Registered Member

That's another thing! See! With "hidden or read-only" attribute, AMON is unable to completely move the infected file to quarantine. Yes, it made copies to quarantine but "NOT move to Quarantine".

6. mecute

mecute Registered Member

The problem is solved in version 2.7 :thumb: Nice job eset...

This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.