"Amazing Software Products" - trustworthy ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ~*Nat*~, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

If you have an issue with how your product is listed with Tony Klein and/or Castle Cops, both of whom are highly respected, take it up with them, just don't come here and start calling people liars, it is uncalled for, understood?

Cheers

Blackspear.

2. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

There indeed WAS an issue with the YAHOO! toolbar a few months back.
    I just can't remember exactly the details. Maybe someone else does ?

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I don't know if I should wade into this. Both sides have made some reasonable points. No need to rehash what's already above.

Since the Giant/Microsoft thing, the spynet facility seems to be offline, although the effective replication of it is still available over at Sunbelt. Here is their analysis of Advanced Searchbar.

The other item to examine is the basic category and membership in the category that Advanced Searchbar is placed, shown here.

My read: grey zone with some potential issues.

Blue

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

What software are you talking about here in this statement? Please explain.

5. ~*Nat*~

Doesn't it say it all ?!

I'm so glad I asked here first...

~Nat~

6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hey Gerry,

Before, when I first responded to your post, I went and took a look at the eula on your site...first impression did strike me as up front info. Key words were highlighted and I didn't overly feel threatened about like what you said....the larger outfits get away with branding in so many words, I'd agree you made a valid point.

Looking at this clip from advancedsearchbar.com/....

is a far more appropriate response than many rougue download sites.

Could you tell me (I understand it's not your program) if certain files are left behind after following directions from their site...
    http://www.advancedsearchbar.com/uninstall.htm? Blue's links, OK.

I don't feel the need for heat from either side....not really pro or con, just I sense the majority of folks concerned with privacy usually try to avoid such programs. We're just trying to keep people informed.

edit - Bit late on noticing those links Blue, thanks.

GF

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i wanted to get a toolbar which sounds good called "stumbled upon". but, i think all toolbars are spyware, they just are by default. i think, the Advanced Searchbar is somehow worse then google and yahoo o_O i was just looking and in some forums they leave it and in others they tell people to remove it.

Amazing Software Products might be good, but, it seems like the messenger guy, it's associcated with something in a grey area, otherwise we wouldnt have these threads.

Gerald, cant you try and find a different partner, or cant you find a totally respectable company which pays the same?

8. Gerald O'Dea

Gerald O'Dea Registered Member

Hello Nat68,

It's not automatically installed at all. If you bothered, or if anyone here bothered to try to install it, you will see that it asks if you want to install it. There is nothing automatic about that. All you do is click on the button that says "No Thanks" and it's not installed. That's it.

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hi. I am Detox. I might just be some redneck fool who knows little-ta-nuthin' in sofar as these newfangled Com-poo-ters go - but it's obvious even to me that somethin's bein' hidden by the folks should they hafta' be defendin' da partic-u-lar methods thru which they softa-wares is bein' installed what's when people's who got it say they dunno why it's there. Myself, I figgures if it was really n truly so clear to all them folks - or at least most of 'em oughta know what happen'ed to they's 'spensive com-puters.

10. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Although mr O'Dea is using an old version of the CLSID list he is right about their software never being classified as spyware.

The AdvancedBar listed as an X (which abuses the URLSearchhook) is a different one.

Regards,

Pieter

11. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Well, there u have it.

My apologies to Gerard O'dea for mistaking the Searchbar Pieter mentioned as yours...

As your Searchbar uses ActiveX, it is a security risk, but not spyware.

snowbound

12. ~*Nat*~

Dear Mr. O'Dea....

I am aware of the fact that it is ones own choice to install and not automatically. I should have worded myself a bit different. (English is my second language, and not always easy to be articulate...) I read on your website, the privacy policy and everything. I just Don't understand the need to include the searchbar...wether one can opt out or not.
    I hope you can understand my questioning. No offence intended or anything similar.

And I join the others that apologized - if it is in fact a "NoSpy" software.
    That's all we care about.
    Thank's for reading.

~Nat~

13. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Well Mr. O'Dea, it sounds like you've got your work cut out for you.. clean up the misconceptions surrounding your searchbar and you may find yourself in better business.

I think it's sad that we have all had to become so defensive against software abusing customer trust. There are probably all too many legitimate products out there that don't get the attention they deserve simply because customers are scared away by apps that have similar functions but employ various 'dirty tricks'.

Perhaps one place to start is to see if you can get certified spyware/adware free by softpedia.com (I noticed your products aren't on there), and if you don't already then run a separate installer for advanced searchbar (similar to how games, for example, run separate installers for directx and such, it's always very clear that you are installing another separate product.)

14. Gerald O'Dea

Gerald O'Dea Registered Member

Hello Notok,

It does have a different installer, just for the toolbar. Also I will checkout softpedia.com to register all my products.

Thank you,
    Gerald O'Dea
    Amazing Software Products, Inc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.