Amazing Article!

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by helpin, Jul 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helpin

helpin Guest

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Good article, helpin - thanks! Pete

3. controler

controler Guest

Yes good article and I read the whole thing :-*

Only thing I wanted to ad is this.
    I worked for a company all winter that serviced the electronics in gas stations. Two things here. You use your credit card right outside now and they do have cameras installed in some states there too
    #2 Gas stations Now have the I-Pass technology now too ;)

"7:03 pm: Tollbooths
    Mark drives through a toll plaza.

Who's watching: Mark's car has an I-Pass tag above the rearview mirror that lets him prepay tolls. The tag—a transponder that's activated by a signal from an antenna at the tollgate—sends the I-Pass ID number and the price of the toll to the system's central database. If there's enough money in the driver's account to cover the toll, an OK is transmitted back and the car is allowed to proceed. At the same time, a record of the time the vehicle arrived and left the tollbooth is logged into the I-Pass database.

Because the system uses the standard 802.11 wireless transmission protocol, it's dangerously easy to hack, potentially allowing snoops to keep track of the movements of specific cars. What's more, law enforcement authorities regularly subpoena records from I-Pass and similar systems to monitor individuals suspected of illicit activity.

Toll lanes may also be routinely monitored by video surveillance to nab scofflaws. In general, three cameras monitor each booth: One is aimed at the vehicle, the coin machine, and the fare display; the second camera is focused on the car's rear license plate and the stoplight at the front of the booth; and the third camera watches for vandalism and other incidents by recording from above. "

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Phew! What a kick in the jimmy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.