amazing!!!! AntiVirusKit 2009 rc1 uses BD and avast engine

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by shi007, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfgang30

wolfgang30 Registered Member

Hello all!

Interesting to see that Gdata's 2009 beta tests on rokop-security.de received wilderssecurity.com, too.

I'm one of the beta testers of GDATA's AVK 2009 and TotalCare 2009 (later one with 242 MB!) and I can confirm the sudden change from Kaspersky+Avast now to Bitdefender+ Avast for 2009 versions.

Having right now RC2 which still includes Bitdefender+ Avast we must assume that it remains as it is since the official selling is schedule on Sept. 3 , 2008.
    It was a surprise to all of us but up to now there is no official statement by Gdata why this change has taken place right in the middle of the tests.
    There were many rumours on the German forum but I tend to Firecat's remarks as well and consider the change positively.
    Kaspersky has to do his homework.

But let's wait for the next av tests on av-comparatives.org or AV-Test of Magdeburg/Andreas Marx.
    Of course, Kaspersky is still good but Bitdefender was/is a good supplement and now with Avast a good combo.
    I remember the reason for changing it in 2007 from Kaspersky+Bitdefender to Kaspersky+Avast:
    - Kaspersky and Bitdefender tended to use more or less the same sources
    of malware so they had basically the same detections.
    - Avast used different sources of malware
    so the combo of Kaspersky + Avast made sense as of 2007.
    But times are changing and Kaspersky has to keep up with changes.

Virus detection is not just adding up the rates of detections when looking at
    av-comparatives.org or AV-Test
    ( http://www.pcwelt.de/start/software..._test_gute_erkennung_bei_wuermern/index2.html ).

2. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Hi Wolfgang, i think that scheduled date was set just for Germany, Austria and Switzerland- so the english version will have to wait a while i'm afraid :doubt:

Thanks for the PCWelt link.

3. shi007

shi007 Registered Member

I think the GDATA Virus detecterate rate is always better than kapersky.that is why kapersky does not sell the new engine to GDATA. So that kapersky rise the price. GDATA has to abandon the kapersky's new engine.

4. Medank

Medank Registered Member

So you mean that Bitdefender has moved with the time and it's has a good TOP detection rate, and so does Kaspersky but not as Bitdefender with the time :) ?

5. Macstorm

cold..cold... that is not the reason certainly ;)

6. Jin K

Jin K Registered Member

your source please ??

7. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

To beta testers:

Is it still possible to run AVK 2009 like this:

1. On-demand scan only (no resident portions)
    2. Manual updates through single click (without running services or permanent resident portions, other than the on-demand scanner launched on demand)

I used AVK2007 myself and would like to consider AVK2009, IF it can be configure to use zero CPU/mem resources, when not being run by demand.

8. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Very intelligent choice. GData seems to analyze the market pretty quick.

9. wolfgang30

wolfgang30 Registered Member

Good evening all!
    The testers were very quick.
    The most recent test results by www.AV-Test.org / Andreas Marx from University of Magdeburg. Published yesterday on Sept 2, 2008 which are now already including some suites in 2008 and 2009-versions,too are here:

http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2008/09_02

very surprising to see the result after changing the av-engine:
    Gdata's AVK 2009 is slightly better than Gdata's AVK 2008.
    Remember:
    -AVK 2008 used Avast and Kaspersky scan engines
    -AVK 2009 uses Avast and BitDefender (again) scan engines

There is still the beta version (RC2) of GDATA's AVK 2009 in operation but the final version should have been released today for Germany-Austria-Switzerland but nothing to see. Probably postponed a few days for whatever reasons.

btw:
    no. 2 is Avira's Premium Security Suite 2008 and no 3 Secure Computing's Webwasher gateway product came third in both categories.

@ Jin K :
    Quote:- Kaspersky and Bitdefender tended to use more or less the same sources of malware so they had basically the same detections.

your source please ??

---> it has been mentioned during the beta -test programme for 2008 on
    www.rokop-security.de by an employee of Gdata. I just had it in my memory but can't find at the moment the exact link to it since it's every year a huge thread with 40-50 and more pages and difficult to read (even for Germans).
    I check it again when I've got more time or you read it for yourself if you know German:
    http://www.rokop-security.de/index.php?showtopic=14931&hl=

But the above new tests shows: the total rate of detections is not just adding up the individual rates of detections which is pure nonsense.
    eg. Bitdefender as single av-machine is not really convincing but in combination with Avast on a very high level.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  10. Macstorm

Very surprising news indeed ;)

I'll wait for the next month to install the official english release of the standalone AV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.