Am I wrong about restoring?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by zeicoman, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeicoman

zeicoman Registered Member

I think I screwed up. I made an ATI-9 image of a WinXP system drive 40GB partition (call it "DriveC-Old") onto an external 153GB USB drive partition I call Images, but I imaged it AFTER swapping it out physically for another "DriveC-New" (with the same OS) as the now active and primary 40GB partition.

In other words, I removed the old Drive-C and connected it to a different IDE connector as a Slave, imaged it, AFTER adding a different Drive-C as Master.

The added DriveC, however, had errors, so I bought another new 100GB drive, partly to use as DriveC, and installed it with a very basic WinXP OS on a 50GB partition - thinking I would then be able to restore the "DriveC-Old" image to replace it.

This gets confusing........

I would like to restore the DriveC-Old image onto DriveC by selecting Disk1 (including the partition and the MBR), but when I do so using the Rescue Disk, the restore SEEMS to have worked, but the computer will not boot after that. All I get is a black screen.

The computer won't even boot using the Acronis Rescue Disk. It provides an error message about the MBR needing to be fixed.

Is there a way to solve this problem? If you don't understand, I will be happy to elaborate further.

2. zeicoman

Is there no help for this? My computer is "dead"! I can't restore anything except restoring folder/file at a time (this could take weeks - literally, as the program said it would take 8 hours to restore just the Docs&Settings folder), and restoring the DriveC-Old image is really critical to a lot of people. Please help.

Zeico

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Take a look at this article which should help fix your problem.
    http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=313

4. zeicoman

I will definitely try the link you provided, but need to make an image of THIS installation first! Ha!

I will let you know a.s.a.p.

Zeico

5. zeicoman

Well, how interesting!

I went through, and tried - meticulously - all the steps mentioned in the link you sent me: http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=313, and I did it several times.

(Note, however, that the /f option on chkdsk /r /f is not a valid parameter, so I could only do a chkdsk /r.)

After giving the FIXBOOT command, it asks me if I want to accept putting the boot sector on Drive E: (my images drive) - NOT Drive C:! I went ahead and did that and rebooted. The same danged error message came up: "The \Windows\System32\Config\System file is missing or corrupted".

So I unplugged my images drive (USB) and went thru all the steps again using my XP install disk. This time, it did put the boot sector on Drive C:. I rebooted after exiting, and the same error message came up again.

By now, my boot.ini file is much more than a single-boot OS option. It is now "quad-boot". There are 4 diffent boots to choose from, and none of them work. When I use the Type command for the boot.ini file for the restored DriveC-Old on Drive C:, it shows the choice of 4 OS's, so that seems to be correct in view of what I have done thru the Recovery Console.

Last of all, I restored the \Windows\System32\Config\System file from the image of THIS setup to the supposedly restored image and all I got then was a blank screen. This is driving me batty!

Thank God, at least one good thing happened: I was able to restore THIS drive image so that I can try to get some more info on how to solve the more serious problem through the Internet.

I don't know what to do next, but this is getting to be a desperate situation.

Help!!!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  6. thomasjk

This is my BOOT.INI file yours should look similar to this:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

Delete the boot.ini file and run BOOTCFG /ADD on drive C if this is your boot drive and add that windows installation. The rerun BOOTCFG /Rebuild. Also look at this Microsoft KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  7. zeicoman

This is the boot.ini I have in the OS I am using right now. (It isn't the one that won't boot.)

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Obviously this works with my current OS system setup.

Question: You said, "Delete the boot.ini file and run BOOTCFG /ADD on drive C if this is your boot drive and add that windows installation. Then rerun BOOTCFG /Rebuild." Could you clarify that a bit more? Is the BOOTCFG /ADD where I input all or some of the information contained in my current boot.ini? And after the BOOTCFG /Rebuild, is that where I enter the OS options? Also, do I need to re-run chkdsk /r and FIXBOOT again afterwards?

8. thomasjk

OK You now have a bootable new drive C ( I think). I think all you to do is restore the partition only from your old drive C. Just check the partition not DISK1 and not MBR.

Attached Files:

9. zeicoman

I understand. I'll try that, but it seems like I did that yesterday and got the same error message. I'll let you know, for sure - either way. Cross your fingers and toes, ok?

Zeico

10. zeico

zeico Registered Member

I give up. Tried that, but it didn't work, either.

I just restored an image off an old hard drive. Perhaps 3 months old, but it will do. Thanks for trying.

Zeico

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.