Am I a potential victim of break in via this computer discovery?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dana Spencer, May 29, 2016.

1. Dana Spencer

Dana Spencer Registered Member

On the Chrome browser, with Gmail open in two tabs (two different accounts, one per tab), if the computer is physically disconnected from the router via its Ethernet cord (this desktop has no Wi-Fi card, so no connectivity once this hard disconnect is made), can an open tab still display an "Oh Snap! Something went wrong" error message during its time offline (when disconnected, the Gmail icon of the red and white icon was visible, but upon return from being away from the computer for an hour, the error message icons/pages were in their place -- I have additional information to back this, but I suspect foal play)? Thank you!

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Your post does is rather confusing. What happened when the computer was connected to the internet again?

3. Dana Spencer

Dana Spencer Registered Member

When I left my computer alone, before heading out of my home for an hour, I left it disconnected from the Internet by disconnecting the only means it has available to get online; the Ethernet cable. I left the browser I'd been using open on the desktop, and among the dozen tabs I had open on various tabs to a range of sites, two of the tabs were open to Gmail. Upon disconnecting the cable, I noted the icons and page displays for the two Gmail pages showed the site and content as it last appeared. While away from my home, for almost an hour, I checked my Gmail (the primary account between them, but they are linked) from an Android Lumia cell and I sent an email before returning home. I only checked Gmail while out, and no other sites. Upon return, I noticed the two Gmail pages had "Oh Snap!" warnings on their page displays and tab icons. Only the two Gmail tabs showed any changes, as Facebook and other similar sites were apparently unchanged and static as I last recalled them. I immediately checked to see if the Ethernet cable had been plugged back in, but it was unplugged...however, I note, laying beside the CPU in a way that also struck me immediately as odd and not as I recalled leaving it. I have yet to plug it back in and go back online, and still, the browser displays a dozen or so static pages, including now the two"Oh Snap" error pages. Can it "Oh Snap!" while 100% disconnected from the Internet, thereby indicating, as it apparently appears to have done so, what was somebodies use/abuse of my absence to use it via a brief plug in of the cable, like while I was logging in from a remote locale, to have then disconnected the cable before leaving but missing the opportunity or need to address the error messages generated while possibly trying to breach my email. There is a rather serious and compelling reason why the likely culprit would do this, so there is an ultra strong motive.

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Maybe gmail page just tried to refresh or connect to gmail server and crashed since it wasn't online any more? You can try and repeat the whole procedure, while being next to your computer and find out if results are the same.

5. SpousalMilk

SpousalMilk Registered Member

Check Windows Event Log. I think you should see DHCP activity in there indicating someone plugged ethernet cable in while you were absent.

P.S Don't forget to check the ceiling for any man size vents and place bear traps accordingly.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

When you click on "Last account activity" in the right bottom corner, it will show you the last activity, including the time for the same day at least.

Attached Files:

7. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Also, do you have your account password protected and do you lock your desktop when you go away?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.