Alternatives

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by nikanthpromod, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Im trying Ubuntu now.i dont know anything about available linux softwares. plz write alternatives for these windows softwares.
    Antivirus Antimalware
    Firewall
    Sandboxie
    Antikeylogger
    System cleaner& optimizer(Like Tune up utilities)
    K lite codec pack.

2. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

ubuntu restricted extras from synaptic will sort your codecs.
    Don't worry about the rest, not needed. If you really wanted to though you could try bleachbit for cleaning and disable some services and startup entries for optimisation. But like I said, not strictly needed with linux.

3. quintile

quintile Registered Member

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Some of the categories you listed are generic.
    For example, firewall is not a Windows thing. It's a thing.
    Windows firewall is a Windows thing, though.

You have iptables (or for example, guwf fontend).
    No need for anti-malware, anti-virus nonsense.
    System cleaner - depends on the distro and not needed.
    Codecs - gstreamer.

Mrk

5. nikanthpromod

No malware for Linux??

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Linux makes the malware concern redundant. It's that simple.

7. s23

s23 Registered Member

maintain your distro updated and install things only from the repositories/trusted sources and that's it. No open ports but you can use gufw or firestarter to easily make firewall rules.

In opensuse you have apparmor (with the GUI already) where you can create rules to restrict softwares. In fedora you have Selinux. These two is like geswall for windows. For ubuntu someone more knowledgeable can teach you how install the gui (if it not is in the repositories - not remember) - Not know if it's really necessary... i not use... but...

Some common sense and is easy like that.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  8. nikanthpromod

which OS is light on resources. I saw in a report that puppylinux is very small.

9. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Puppy is very small and light. How light do you need? From my experience Simply Mepis and Knoppix are light and still feature-packed. I was able to fully install Mepis B5 yesterday in 7 minutes flat. However, I don't really like the default multimedia players in Mepis, and Amarok crashed and wouldn't play mp3's, so that really bugged me. In the end I keep going back to Mint. openSUSE Gnome version is pretty good, too. There are many that are light. Check out Distrowatch for some more ideas.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

puppylinux isnt really designed as an installed distro.

what hardware do you have?

11. nikanthpromod

Intel Pentium (9yr old:doubt: )
    320 MB SD RAM
    1GHz:'(
    My parents dont want to buy another computer for me :(

12. Beavenburt

Why not try full ubuntu. I've just installed 9.04 on a p4, 256mb ram and 8 gig hd for my sister-in-law and it runs just fine and dandy.

Antix will run like a dream on those specs. http://antix.mepis.org/index.php/Main_Page There is a learning curve however.

Try a few and see how you get on.

13. nikanthpromod

will Linux Mint work on those specs??

I cannot try all those because almost all are nearly 650Mb downloads.

14. Beavenburt

It might. Try it and find out. Mint has a community fluxbox edition I think, that might be worth a shot.

15. It won't. There's a bug in the updater applet that hogs CPU power.

Probably the best distro for you would be Absolute Linux or Slitaz. Absolute is based on Slackware, but much more user friendly; Slitaz is a very minimal (and very very light) independent distro.

Absolute offers more software... On the other hand, it's not as light. Slitaz doesn't offer any sort of hardware-accelerated graphics but is much lighter.

Another possibility is TinyMe, based on Unity. It's still in RC stage right now but should be pretty light, and as a bonus uses Midori instead of the more bloated Firefox.

Just be aware that Youtube videos or javascript-heavy web pages like GMail will probably slow your poor computer to a crawl, all the more so on Linux.

16. s23

s23 Registered Member

Until now i never see a linux using more than 200mb in a fresh power on (maybe sabayon - not remember) and normally after some time of use the ram increase to 300-400 mb depending of the open softwares (lets say a browser with some tabs open, a IM and a music player)... with 1gb you cannot go wrong choosing between the most popular distros. Cannot say at the CPU I/O part through.... but not think can be worst than Win XP/7.

17. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

1) You don't need AV software at all. No Linux viruses exist in the wild. The only protection you need is to always use the ubuntu repositories for all your software needs.

2) The firewall in Linux is iptables. If you want a GUI, use GUFW.

3) To sandbox applications, look into AppArmor.

4) There are no keyloggers that can affect you.

5) You don't need any system clean-up utilities. Linux does not have a registry. However, there is a tool in the Ubuntu menu that allows you to clean up temporary files, etc. Look for it in the menu. It should already be installed.

6) I don't know what K Lite is, sorry.

18. nikanthpromod

Hii thanks for ur replies. Ive downloaded Linux Mint , ill try it tomorrow;)

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Try PCLOS Gnome, it,s light after u install. Live CD will be slow due to low ram in us system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.