Alternatives to SandboxIE?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ChrisP, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Version 1.0 isn't dead. Version 1.0 is free. Version 2 costs $14.95. My trials showed both run okay. Both uninstalled okay using Revo. However, I always make a system drive image before installing any complex software such as security apps, virtualizers, etc. IMO system restore is less reliable tham bit by bit image. However - to each his own.

2. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Run Messenger in the sandbox, will that solve the problem?

3. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I don't think so:

But there must be a workaround

4. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I've been running Fortres for a week. I tried to run a virut.U infected file last night and it escaped, infecting a lot of my files. I managed to recover everything but it soured me on this app.

5. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I haven't tried AppRanger yet but it says that it supports Sandboxing and that web browser(s) are automatically set to run in a sandbox and that any program can be set to run in a sandbox.

http://www.appranger.com/

Manual:
    http://www.appranger.com/documents/AppRanger.pdf

From AppRanger DataSheet:

System Requirements

32-bit operating systems

Windows 2000, Windows 2000 server, XP, Windows
    server 2003, and Vista.

6. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

It's good to see users trying some real testing. At least we know Fortres doesn't pass the test.

7. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Anyone try bufferzone?

8. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Not recently, but I ran it for a couple of months about a year ago. I'm sure it's been updated since. I had no complaints, and nothing got through. My only problem, running on XP sp2 with 512 RAM, I noticed a hit in performance. Pages were a noticeably slower to open. Other than that I liked it.

Sorry I can't comment on the latest BZ or whether the issue above has been fixed. I will say, if Sandboxie wasn't available I'd be looking at Bufferzone again along with a couple of others.

9. Wake2

Wake2 Registered Member

Defensewall you can set up with MSN Messenger running untrusted and click on check mail
    and IE will open running untrusted my wife has that set up and it works well for her.

I am not sure about how SAB would work with Defensewall but we (wife and I) both use IE7Pro with
    adblock and flashblock enabled and this set up works been running this set up for awhile no problems.

Regards,

Wake

10. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Registered Member

I would just run Windows Live Mail Desktop instead. It's preferable to running it in a browser and it'll launch from messenger once installed.

11. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

12. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

13. bellgamin

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

SandboxIE is a hard act to follow if you ask me.

You might say it's in the same league of unique developers who have cut against the grain of conventional thinking and driven something totally unique to the surface that WORKS! brilliantly, like DefenseWall, Returnil, etc.

These and others i'm sure are Windows security innovations at their very best!!!

Personally i draw nothing but blanks when asked for an alternative to SandboxIE

EASTER

15. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I quite agree,for simplicity,stability and just downright effectiveness SandboxIE is outstanding.:thumb:

16. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I use shadow defender as an alternative to SanboxIE. Most of the time - like now - shadow defender is not in use but when I ski off piste I simply turn on the protection ( for all drives, not just C:) and protection is turned off when I reboot. should I need to keep a download it is simple to save.

17. bellgamin

SBIE enables me to block any app (except those I designate) from connecting out of the sandbox. This capability effectively emasculates any possible keyloggers. This is good because I have to enter passwords, account numbers, etc, when banking or using my credit card. At such times, a keylogger could compromise my personal info. With SBIE that can't happen unless my browser somehow gets hi-jacked.

Can Shadow Defender give strong protection against keyloggers? If so, I am interested. Thank you for calling this app to my attention.

18. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

No such configuration is possible with Shadow Defender if that is what you are interested about it.
    I'm testing it for a week now ,the fact that is unnoticible(Ram,Cpu) while in Shadow Mode is very nice.I'm considering buying it although i still have to decide what will be the program's main use :) .

19. Long View

Long View Registered Member

No - for that I rely upon Roboform.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.