Alternatives to Returnil

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by LenC, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Having a problem with free version - it keeps telling me my trail period has expired and the program is locked. Uninstalling and reinstalling did not help.

I'm getting tired of this. Can anyone recommend an alternative program with similar functionality?

2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Not what you are asking about but the Returnil forum (on Wilders) is actively monitored by Returnil tech support and a post there explaining the problem will get a fairly quick response.

I hope you won't be offended by the following question: Are you sure you downloaded and installed the free version and not the Premium version?

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually, Len already has his own thread in the Returnil section:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=233177

So, let's keep the diagnosis of the problems he's having with Returnil in that other thread, and use this thread to discuss other products that are similar to Returnil.

4. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Not offended at all - but I put it on two machines - one is okay. So I don't think I downloaded wrong one.

Would like to hear about alternatives...

5. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

powershadow , bought it and then it started to crash on my computer, very similar to returnil (no reboot to go into virtual mode) but cost's 40 dollars.

deepfreeze , tried it but the demo bluescreen my computer. When I used it, it required a reboot to go into and out of virtual mode.

cleanslate, never tried it but is suppose to go in and out of virtual mode without rebooting.

Been using free returnil for about 2 years and has worked flawlessly on every computer I tried it in. amd 64 semprons/intel coreduo/phenom 9750 quads/ amd x2 4800.

Whatever you do, virtual programs is the best protection when surfing the internet. I wouldn't surf the internet unless I'm in virtual mode.

my computer security protection
    1. zone alarm basic firewall
    2. avg free antivirus
    3. firefox browser
    4. returnil

Nothing has defeated my security system. The virtual software is the last line of defense and the piece that holds it all together.

6. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Jonyjoe81 -

Thank you for your response even though your alternatives don't sound too promising:cautious:

I checked again - I do have the personal edition - that is what was listed in the add/remove area of control panel when I just removed it for the second and final time.

I wasn't using it that much - not worth the trouble.

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

8. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

9. bgoodman4

Sorry and understood.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not free, but I've had excellent success with Shadow Defender. I like that fact it shadows all drives.

Pete

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

All sorts of good programs but i recommend on top of them all to ALWAYS make a image and/or images with your favorite backup program.

Therein lies your best protection of all, a clean and ready-to-go again restore image.

Just some food for thought and worthy useful advice.

EASTER

12. raakii

raakii Registered Member

One word substitute and clone:Shadow defender .For other options see my signature.

13. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Is there any virtualization programs like returnil virtual system that allows you to carry over changes to the clone after a reboot. I know there's VM ware, but i'm looking for something not so costly, and light on resources. Most importantly i'm looking for something stable. Something not likely to give me the blue screen of death! I would like to be able to test software that requires a reboot without aqually having to install it on my system. Do i have any other alternatives other than virtual box, and VM ware? I've been using returnial Virtual System for 2 years, and never had a problem out of it. It's the most stable program for its purpose i've seen. I just can't carry over changes to the clone after a reboot. I'm only testing on a single machine, and not trying to test changes across a network. The machine i'm testing on for now has Windows XP PRO SP3.

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

With XP, there is ShadowUser Pro (about 50$) has worked very well for me, but keep in mind that Storagecraft (the makers) are somewhat reluctant to upgrade it for Vista machines.

With Vista, I'm using FirstDefense PC Rescue, which is not a virtualizer (it creates a double OS in a snapshot) but it is ideal to test new programs. If you don't like it you just switch from one snapshot to the other. I use it together with ShadowDefender giving me really the freedom to browse safely and test configurations at will.(I think from memory it is about 35 $ +5$ for yearly maintenance and upgrades).

15. bgoodman4

I also suggest that you might consider/try a RollBack type of program. After much research and questioning here on the forum I selected RollBack RX. If you go to forum member Chris12923s website you can get a nice discount on this program. His website address is http://aroundtheclockcomputerrepair.com

Take a look at the feature set of this program and then you can decide if this is for you or not (the current version includes an imaging program that will allow you to image your drive with RollBack Rx installed and this will minimise issues with the MBR if you ever do have to restore an image due to a hard drive failure. The new version due out shortly does not include this imaging tool). Snapshots take 3 or 4 seconds and can be set to occur each hour and a restores take 3 or 4 min (at least thats what I am told, I just bought my licence and have yet to actually use the program). According to the publishers website up to 60,000 snapshots will fit on .07% of the drive (this stat baffles me but thats what it says). One of the things that decided me on this program is the ability to roll the PC back to whatever state you select but then to restore any data files that existed on the PC between the time of the revert and the state reverted to. Golden as far as I am concerned.

16. Cutting_Edgetech

I will take a look at ShadowUser Pro. I have looked at their site in the past, but did not know anyone using the program so i was reluctant to try it. If it turns out to be a stable program that does keep a bit for bit virtual clone of your system that does not leak then it would be worth the purchase. The problem i experienced with them was they did not have a trial version of their latest release. I found a trial version on www.download.com, but it was an older version. I want to try it before i buy it. I do hope they decide to make it Vista compatible. I'm anticipating the new release of Windows 7. I hope they fix a lot of the issues that so many users experienced with Windows Vista. As far as snap shot software goes; I am currently using Acronis True Image 11. I keep regular backups of my system. It has never failed me yet. But it takes about 20 to 30 minutes to restore my drive because i have allowed a 15 GBs partition for Returnil Virtual system. I will try FirstDefense, and i believe it was called Rollback RX. Pardon me, but i don't have the screen pulled up right now. I appreciate the replys! Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  17. Cutting_Edgetech

I found a trial version of ShadowUser Pro on storage craft's website. I must have been thinking of PowerShadow. I knew about their company, but didn't know ShadowUser could save changes to a clone. Thanks!

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Shadow Defender has my vote too. $35 lifetime license. Very simple to use. ;)

19. Cutting_Edgetech

I like shadow Defender to, but i was looking for a program that can carry over changes to a shadow or clone after reboot. I'm using it for software testing purposes.

20. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Doesn't Shadow User Pro allow you to carry changes over after a reboot? (I'm still researching all the information provided in this thread.

Thank you everyone.

21. Cutting_Edgetech

Yes, Osaban in the above post has said that you are able to carry over changes after a reboot.

22. hyatt69

hyatt69 Registered Member

try windows steady state its free and carries over after boot or you can set a date to return to previous state.

23. Cutting_Edgetech

I will look into windows steady state. Sounds interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.