Alternatives to Prevx?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Gabriolone, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabriolone

Gabriolone Registered Member

Hello.

Can anyone suggest an alternative, or alternatives, to Prevx? Would Mamutu be an example?

Thank you again.

2. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Defensewall is superb.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Threratfire

4. guest

guest Guest

Defensewall? Threatfire??

Mamutu and Threatfire are behavior blockers, Prevx does not include this kind of technology.
    Defensewall is something totally different, excellent, but only works on 32bit systems.

If you want a similar software try MBAM or Immunet (free) that also works together with other AV's.
    If you are looking for a software with similar capabilities than Safe Online of Prevx try Tursteer rapport (free).

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Sorry with new Webroot anywhere, you get an astonishing package. There is simply no comparison in terms of blending together firewall,identity protection, antivirus, webfiltering, monitoring and mild containment of not-classified programs and regrun like repair in a user friendly way (so normal AV users are able to use it).

When you are willing to dive into HIPS, virtualization or policy containment there are a many others. Application what comes close is A2 with OA.

6. guest

guest Guest

I think he would prefer not to pay for something that is available for free and much better, Comodo Internet Security+Trusteer Rapport.

BTW A2 does not exists anymore, I guess you mean EAM, anyway I don't think is a good idea use a behavior blocker (Mamutu included in EAM) and a HIPS (from OA) at the same time, it's useless and a waste of resources.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2011
  7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I've been told by Prevx that the program has capabilities similar to a HIPS or behavior blocker/monitor except the analysis is determined in their cloud as opposed to user based decisions. The program also includes other features as well- signatures, heuristics and a community popularity and age, similar to Norton's insight.

8. guest

guest Guest

The cloud is a cloud and av updated including info of the files, statistics..., it's now magic, there is no HIPS in the Prevx Cloud, and about the behavior blocker I doubt it.
    Signatures and heuristics (like all the av's) an the community popularity and age is far from being as good or as detailed as norton, you just set the setting in a black box and nobody knows what happens behind.
    Anyway most of the vendors uses the popularity and age in their local and specially cloud engines it's just that you can't not change the settings.

Also all this does not matter if then you can not know how good the AV is compared with the rest, since we can hardly find Prevx/Webroot in any AV test.

9. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Afaik, only part of Mamutu (a BB module) has been implemeted in EAM, not the full product.
    Otherwise it would be a bit strange if Emsisoft were to sell their OA++ package being comprised of a FW/HIPS+2 scan engines+a full fledged behavioural blocker.
    Fabian Wosar himself has written that using OA and Mamutu makes no sense, therefore it's also unlikely EAM is simply Ikarus+Emsisoft AM engine+full Mamutu; Emsisoft forum link.

Regarding OP's question; Trusteer Rapport (perhaps your bank offers it?) or Webroot SecureAnywhere like Kees1958 already mentioned.
    Check on Webroot (who bought Prevx) new beta here on Wilders; link

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  10. acr1965

I don't think there is a single program similar to Prevx, but maybe a couple programs added together would be similar- like Mamutu (except more decisions are user based as opposed as analysed in the cloud), Panda cloud free version (I believe the paid version includes a behavior monitor which I'm not sure would conflict with Mamutu or not). This doesn't include the web protection and I'm not sure how the anti-keylogger protection would hold up vs. Prevx.

11. guest

guest Guest

They sell OA and EAM http://www.emsisoft.com/en/ is not a big issue but an incongruence.

12. acr1965

So the Prevx mod made up the story about the behavior being analyzed in the cloud?

13. Kees1958

Off course much better how could I forget. Comodo, the software in which the next release will solve all the problems with the current release :p

The ability to reverse infections of Webroot anywhere with a remote script comes with the license, when you want the same level of assistance with Comodo, you have to pay. There are some fun reviews about the effectives of the Geek Buddy service at hand from Comodo (in fact Comodo should offer their Geek Buddy for free also, considering the number of PC's which were wrecked with the first release of Comodo System Cleaner, but off course the next release of CSC would be better and not have the OS-wrecking features of the first alpha made available as a final). :argh:

14. guest

guest Guest

Since you were not very clear in your explanation... I just said that I doub it...

There is no way to make an HIPS in the cloud and decide what to do, would be a mess.

And about the BB
    This is in the new cloud with Webroot or in the old one with prevx?

Anyway many vendors include a behavior blocker in the cloud, like Comodo (it's about to fusion with Valkyrie and CAV to make a more intelligent cloud to avoid fp's and increase the detections), and many others include a local behavior blocker, KAV, Panda, Norton, AVG, Avast, Avira... the only good thing about the Cloud AV is that you don't get popups but you can get some fp's

The only thing that makes Prevx special along with Immunet Free is that they are able to work together with other av's, and the Safe Online thing although is being easily bypassed lately in the MRG banking tests.

15. acr1965

This is the old/original one with Prevx.

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

mbam pro will serve you good:thumb:

17. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

whoa Stormshield personal. Whats up with that?

18. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

the latest beta failed miserably in my testing, maybe because i had high expectations for it :ouch:

"jack of all trades and master of none" comes to mind

edit- and being a beta is no excuse as they keep blurping on about how their beta's are of a higher quality/stability to other vendor's final releases

19. guest

guest Guest

Interesting, I have just propose it to the MRG banking test.

20. Kees1958

These claims are so easily made without proof. Against what? A live malware a PoC? What did support tell you about it?

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

22. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Don't forget it's not just the program itself that is being overhauled in this version - their whole cloud infrastructure has also seen changes so it shouldn't be surprising you'll come across glitches such as the "poor" results seen in your testing. As long as you report them, the quicker they'll get fixed.

23. guest

guest Guest

Well there are no very good comments about this product here in wilders
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=294087
    Seems to fail in some simple keylog tests, I would trust in trusteer rapport for the moment.

According to MRG there are already live samples doing the same thing that the simulator does. I don't know if the actual beta is bypassed but the stable version is, and in the last test before this one the beta and the stable where bypassed in x64 at least.

Anyway I'm sure that the final version of Webroot will be able to block it, but for me all this means to me that other security software are faster answering to new threads or they protect against this new threads without updates (by default) and Safe online don't.

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i want to try the registry feature only:)

25. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Trusteer Rapport + Spyshelter premium

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.