Alternatives to FDISR & Rollback

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by bellgamin, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

There's another program I've recently come across, which Tiscali UK are promoting, but I have found the product's own web page. It's Phoenix Recover Pro, and can be found at http://www.phoenix.com/en/Products/Trusted+Applications/Recover+Pro+6/default.htm

I dunno if anyone has looked at this, and if it matches the capabilities of programs like RestoreIt or RollBack.

2. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

PRP creates but one snapshot. Although that snapshot can be updated whenever you like, that is nevertheless a big restriction compared to the likes of GB, RB, FDISR and RestoreIT.

That said, I'm told it is the software being used by Dell to create their recovery partitions.

Hth, pv

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Very little hard disk indeed. Consider the average time I spend with my computer is about 2-3 hours and there's usually a hard disk space usage of about 200 to 300 MB (that could also reach 1GB depending on your activities) which is deleted automatically upon rebooting your computer.

You could keep the virtual volume from being deleted for a long time (depending on the size of your HD, say an 80 GB HD would probably last 3 to 4 months with normal use) but not indefinetly. One has to reboot to your active drive sooner or later, actually the beauty of SU is that once you are in virtual mode, for security reasons is better to reboot frequently so that even trojans wouldn't have the time to phone home (that's why a layered defense is nevertheless necessary).

With SU you don't take snapshots, that is the fundamental difference with FD-ISR, it is not a recovery tool, but with an imaging program one can really have a complete system.

I'm not trying to say that SU is better than FD-ISR there are similarities but they are not really doing the same thing.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

DeepFreeze is used a lot as I believe it was one the first programs to use the concept of creating a virtual volume. Compared to SU there are many things it can't do (and you know that very well) namely saving files directely while in virtual mode and updating security applications in real time.

But what has made this program a security hazard is the fact that it can be hacked and apparently the hacking instructions are available on the internet.
    I don't know if Faraonics has done something about it.

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

When Bellgamin asked for a program approximately doing the same job as FD-ISR and Rollback Rx, I obviously thought of Shadowuser.

I'm not trying to compare SU and FD-ISR because they do similar things in different ways. Yes FD-ISR is a recovery tool and you can rollback things in time, SU IS NOT a recovery tool. Main Advantage of FD-ISR: Testing programs simultaneously in different snapshots. Main disadvantage: HD space usage and high learning curve. SU big plus: Surfing the Internet with confidence with quick reboots (1.5 minutes). SU big disdvantage: Sometimes trying out programs like HIPS is problematic.

One can choose either way according to their activities, it would be foolish IMO to have them both installed.

About your disaster scenario I agree FD would probably be the best application to have, but let me emphasize once again I do have SU for security reasons not for testing programs. And I also use, believe it or not, the 'system restore' supplied by Windows: It has never failed particularly with updates.

6. Heco

Heco Registered Member

Thank you Osaban for your clear reply.
    Cheers,
    Hervé

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think he is using XP now.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes, but that doesn't mean he converted his file system to NTFS.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

How much time it takes to make an image/ snapshot of system?

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Let,s wait for his reply.

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I must have missed something. If you mean me, yes -- I am now using XP. And, yes -- all 4 of my HDs are NTFS.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

If u suspect SSM to be the cause, u can make a copy of its congif file from program files, uninstall SSM and try FDISR again or u can jsut ask in their forums.

13. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Pheonix
    Does look quite good not a bad price
    http://www.insight.com/site/product...&P=1&&p_sess=&NugsTracking=Results_Full_Specs
    The demo seems to show more than one snapshot?
    http://www.phoenix.com/en/Home/flash/rp6_demo.htm

Updated link - insight link is just pricing info

WinRollBack automatically repairs everything, which might impact a Windows PC. Simply restart the PC – immediately, all unwanted modifications, manipulations, installations and even virus infestations have completely and entirely disappeared. All this is solely based on software; no installation of additional hardware or repartitioning is necessary.
    http://www.datapol-technologies.com/dpe/security/winrollback/protection/index.html

Hardware solutions based on one snapshot exist
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=137368

For me FD ISR is my Fav

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

15. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I edited the post - to demo link - insight link was just for pricing @ $44

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.