Alternatives to Comodo With Vista

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Ed_H, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I just tried the update to the latest version of Comodo and the install/update did not go well. I tried a repair but that would not work and uninstall did not work either. A quick look on the Comodo forum shows that uninstall issues are not uncommon and there is a process to completely remove Comodo 3 which the thread says takes about 45 minutes with much registry editing involved. Good Grief!!!

I don't mind a little work but this seems excessive. So, I booted to another snapshot (I love FD-ISR) and I am back in business with the prior version of Comodo. I also have a snapsot with no firewall installed.

So knowing this about Comodo uninstall issues, it seems like a good time to look for alternatives before going down the Comodo road again. I would prefer free but the main thing is that the firewall have little impact on performance (like Comodo). Does that exist?

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have been using the PC Tools firewall 3 and it is working in Vista without issue. I have heard there are issues if you run a LUA though.

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I ran PC Tools FW in an XP LUA. The only issue was the GUI does not give up memory after various pages are opened. It swells from 9 MB to as much as 23 MB. Other than that, it functioned perfectly. OK, the driver can not be terminated, but that is probably good.

4. KingKull

KingKull Registered Member

I currently use Webroot Desktop Firewall on my Vista box. It runs nice & light, and gets along well with my security apps. I haven't had any performance issues after a few months of operation.

5. waters

waters Registered Member

same here

6. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not sure about Webroot Desktop Firewall but it looks like PC Tools Firewall doesn't do too well in leak tests.

I'll give Webroot a go.

7. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

Three alternatives

Have a look at PC Tools: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1175486#post1175486

I also tested VistaFireWallControl 1.2 so simple you would not believe. It failed 4 leakttest. VFWC 1.2 uses Vista Fire Wall engine and generates outbound protection rules for you (and is free).

WebRoot is off course also a good choice

8. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I have a new laptop and just went through the same process you are going through. I ended up going with Agnitum Outpost Pro (paid) which works well on Vista. Agnitum also has a free version which I believe also works with Vista....I just went to their website to confirm this and was unable to, but I believe it does.

I expect that after my year's subscription is up they will probably have the bugs out of Comodo 3 and I will go with it at that time.

Also, I would expect Online Armor to be and excellent firewall when they come out with the Vista version which I doubt will be too far in the future. I would have gone with OA on both my machines if they had a Vista version.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.