Alternatives to a game called "Diablo II"?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gracie123, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muf

muf Registered Member

I've been playing Oblivion for the last two weeks. One word. Awesome! It's fully open-ended. There is a main story arc you can follow, if you want to! or you can just go about raiding dungeon's, exploring, collecting ingredients to hone your alchemy skills. You can perform some of the MANY side quests. The world is huge, with something like 16 million square miles of terrain to exlore. The dungeon's reset themselves every 3 days or so(game days). And as your character gets better and your level increases so does the loot in the dungeon's, and of course the quality of the enemies. Make your own spells, repair your own armour. Hell you can be a slimy little murdering thief if you want! Love it. Best RPG so far.

I run it on a relatively decent spec pc. 3ghz, 1g ram and a ATI Radeon x700 Pro 128mb. I run it at 1024x768 full details and for 80% of the time it runs smooth getting from 25 to 50 FPS. In some area's like around Oblivion gates it can go down to 10 FPS. So you don't need a ninja pc, but you do need a half good one!

muf

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Oblivion's a great game! You'll enjoy it....if you have the right PC.

@muf: You don't really need a ninja PC, but Oblivion really kicks a GeForce FX 5900 where it hurts most, all over the place (except when you force DX8 shaders I guess)!

3. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Gracie,

Here is a very interesting article on this very subject:

Doom 3 Gets Religion
    http://www.twitchguru.com/2005/12/03/doom_3_gets_religion/

4. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

Hi, thanks for the article. It was interesting...

I read on a review somewhere that a game called Divine Divinity only had pentagrams but other than that it was OK as far as no other "evil" or satanic things.

Is this true?

5. gracie123

Hi everyone, have another question... is the "Bloodmoon" expansion pack worth purchasing along with Morrowind and Tribunal ? This is regarding "The Elder Scrolls".

Thanks,

Gracie

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Divine Divinity is a very nice medium-length RPG in my view, but the core plot does involve trying to stop the return of the Lord of Chaos who was banished in a previous titanic struggle. In addition, some of the (optional) sidequests are morally questionable (e.g. committing theft or assassination - though I view them more as giving you freedom of choice about how you play your character) and some are adult-orientated (e.g. finding a hidden brothel). One does involve trying to help a (somewhat incompetent) enchantress summon a demon.

It does provide a more "realistic" view of normal life than most other fantasy games (i.e. many of the in-game characters are struggling to survive from day-to-day) and in some cases, you do have difficult choices to make - do you turn in a thief who stole food only because they were starving? Do you offer your own blood to a vampire in order to persuade it to spare a child it has captured? However it is not a game suitable for those wishing to avoid the darker side of life.

With regard to Morrowind, you can get a Game of the Year edition which includes both the Tribunal and Bloodmon expansions. This may be the best choice value-wise.

7. WYBaugh

WYBaugh Registered Member

Hey again Gracie,

As Paranoid2000 wrote, you can pick up Morrowind GOTY which includes the expansions for $19.99 from Target, BestBuy, CompUSA, etc. Excellent value!

I'm also playing Oblivion...amazing game!

Bill

8. gracie123

Paranoid, thank you very much for the information. That helps a lot... :)

Bill, that sounds great :). Do you know where I could get in NEW condition a strategy guide for Morrowind and the 2 expansions?

Thanks,

Gracie

9. WYBaugh

WYBaugh Registered Member

Hi Gracie,

You can order Morrowind GOTY online at GoGamer:

http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGamer.storefront/SESSIONID/Product/View/001ELDG

and Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CNUUP/104-0695765-3619101?v=glance&n=468642

Searching at Target, EBGames and Gamestop turned up out of stock so you may need to order online.

The strategy guide can be purchased at BestBuy online:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6187645&type=product&id=1140391903921

Or directly from PrimaGuide

http://www.primaguide.com

Hope this helps!

Bill

10. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

i dont know if you would like this but theres a game called fallout thats a modern age rpg(not medival times) but its a pretty old game but still fun

11. gracie123

[SOLVED] Re: Alternatives to a game called "Diablo II"?

Hi Bill,

Thanks! That helps a lot. I appreciate the links.

Hi metallicakid15, I will check it out :)

Thanks everyone who's helped me with this issue. This issue is now solved. :)

12. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

For anyone considering Morrowind while waiting for technology to catch up with Oblivion (see the HardOCP: Oblivion Widescreen Benchmarks to see what I mean :eek:), there are hundreds of mods available to enhance almost all aspects of the game. Good places to include:

Morrowind Mythic Mods - The best place to start with links and descriptions for dozens of mods (Telesphoros' List o'Mods being especially useful). The only downside is that many mods are hosted at FilePlanet which is a pain to download from, requiring you to sign up for a (free) account and wait in line for a download slot.

TheLys - Hosts many popular Morrowind mods (no download queues!) and also has an Oblivion section.

Morrowind Windfall - Home of the FPS Optimizer, one of the best utilities for Morrowind - either for boosting performance with lower-end systems or improving graphics for high-end ones.

Finally, getting back to Divine Divinity, copies of the in-game background music composed by Russian composer Kirill Pokrovsky can be download from his website (see the "Computer Game Music" in the right-hand column). Well worth a listen, whether you have the game or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.