Alternative Update Method

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by aurelius, Mar 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aurelius

aurelius Registered Member

Re: The 'Alternative Method' of downloading updates.

Does anyone have any information explaining what this is? i.e how it works?

None of the other methods in 3.3 work for me and I'd like to know what the 'alternative method' is doing if possible.

:doubt:

2. aikox2

aikox2 Registered Member

It sounds like you are having the same problem as me. I would love to be able to run update, but it hangs when I attempt to (see my previous thread about this)
    Any ideas out there?
    Thanks,
    Scott

3. aurelius

I can Update using the 'Alternative Method' uncheck the other options in Options section. You might try that maybe?

Javacool a bit quiet on what this 'Alternative Method' is doing unfortunately... :(

...but I guess he may be working on a fix sometime as I gather this problem is quite widespread so he probably has work cut out on this one.

a

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

One of the goals with SpywareBlaster 3.3 was to fix various issues certain people had with updating SpywareBlaster.

That was accomplished. Unfortunately it caused the side-effect of a small number of people who used to be able to update being unable to do so with the regular method (which was changed, as mentioned above).

The "Alternative Download Method" simply uses a different set of Windows functions to download the updates. (There are various different ways of coding "updating" functionality in a Windows app.) They don't work for everyone, in all cases, which is why the regular method is different. However, in cases where the regular method doesn't work, the "alternative method" almost always works. (If that makes sense.)

-----------

General Notes Regarding Changed Updating Functionality in SpywareBlaster 3.3

-The default download setting is now "Use a direct connection." (where it used to be "Use the system connection / proxy settings".) If you are using a proxy, you will need to manually specify it in the Updating Options screen (or select the old option.) This fixes issues with some proxies and ad-filtering programs interfering with SpywareBlaster updates.

Possible Causes of Updating Issues in SpywareBlaster 3.3

-Older versions of Avast! Web Shield may prevent SpywareBlaster from updating properly. Upgrading to the latest version (released just a few days ago) reportedly fixes the problem.

-Users of NIS (Norton Internet Security) should double-check to make sure that spywareblaster.exe actually has access through the firewall. There have been reports of "double-entries" where one is blocked, or the firewall randomly setting spywareblaster.exe to "blocked". To fix this, just delete any entries in NIS that point to "spywareblaster.exe", and create a new entry to allow it access.

-If you need to allow access through a proxy, you will need to configure that in the SpywareBlaster Updating Options (as mentioned above).

-Please make sure your system is up-to-date on patches and security fixes. Just in regard to Windows XP: There have been tons of fixes to Windows XP since its release (in SP1 and SP2), and not all of them are security related, so one of them could apply to this issue.

-----------

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. aikox2

aikox2 Registered Member

apparently using the alternative download method works (even with firewall).
    Thanks,
    Scott

6. aurelius

Gosh thanks for the extensive reply, more than I was looking for but very instructive nevertheless!

Have reinstalled Windows again and updated avast. Using Firefox now as default. Everything working pretty well now (touch wood).

a :)

7. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I do my best. ;)

Glad to hear it. :cool:

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.