Alternative to True Image (nervous nellie)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by bellgamin, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Add the fact that version 3 should work with a much wider selection of PCs (better compatility.) (Not been an issue for me currently...) [Quote HAN]

Version 2 don,t like my SATA drive,never got it to work on my main rig so i am also curious about this.I must add that from the recovery disk it always worked like a charm !

2. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

Does anyone know how much V3 will be?

3. dfenn_x384

dfenn_x384 Registered Member

Ok, i used Symantec ghost before, now i'm with True image 10 home and true image 9.1 Coz it run quicker on my machine. Nice work Symantec!!!!

so if i was anyone, i would stay away from symantec coz they are a bit of a menory hog

4. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

Thanks for sharing dfenn_x384. You are one more on the long Symantec victims list. The last good version of Ghost that i used was 2003 or Ghost 8 corporate when it was still a DOS program.

I was asking for the date ShadowProtect 2.0 was published for have a reference on how much is going to last a license for 3.0 that I am definitely buying immediately after it comes out.

5. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

System Restore restores the entire registry, not just a few entries. It will also restore *most* uninstalled/deleted program files and drivers as well (and remove post-restore point program files and drivers.) It won't touch anything in My Documents.

There are a couple programs that can access restore points outside of windows. VCOM Recovery Commander can restore the restore point registry hives from a boot cd (I don't think it restores files but hopefully it's enough to boot up so you can do a full restore). The latest O&O Bluecon can restore full restore points through its WINPE based boot environment.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

No, but it might be my 3th activation problem of SP. :)

7. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

I recently read a post where a user suggested that Acronis should add true encryption to their image files rather than simply use a password for access to the image file data.

If True Image actually does this (uses a gatekeeper password rather than actually encrypting the image file content with a decent crypto algorithm) then I'd really like to know about it. Does anyone have a link to an authoritative statement regarding this subject?

8. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

9. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

Thanks for the link! Wow! That's amazing. In post 8 on that thread we get the offical word from Acronis on this:

This is in line with a common trend I've noticed for the True Image product - namely that they have a mindset for retail/end-user product creation rather than Enterprise product dev. This type of omission may not seem like a big deal to the home user (in fact it probably isn't a big deal to the home user) but it's a major security problem for a business. Gate-keeper passwords on image files simply do not prevent a concerted attack by an engineer, and it's a trivial thing to create a tool that can open up any such can. Such a tool of course can be used by a novice to gain access to sensitive/private image data. What a mess.

10. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Actually, Nate, the statement you quoted (from the link I provided earlier) was, I believe, made sometime in July of this year. Recently, I was perusing the ATI 11 user guide and couldn't find any mention of encryption. However, I then looked at the data sheet and "Archive Encryption" was listed under "New Features".

Take a peek......very weird:
    http://us2.download.acronis.com/pdf/TrueImage11_datasheet.en.pdf

11. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

A guy at work just pointed that out to me too. Hmm... I can't seem to google any more details on this new feature. I wonder exactly what it does.

12. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

It seems very odd myself that they would initially implement "encryption" as a simple password protection, without actually encrypting the data itself. The fact that it is not really anymore difficult to implement than the password protection smacks of them deliberately taking the users for a (monetary) ride.

That is, "Why implement a feature properly now, when we can bodge it and then charge extra for the proper implementation later ?"

As a software developer myself, it amazes me the number of software engineers in the trade that don't sem to have a clue about decent design/implementation. I guess that is a spin-off from all these RAD languages (ie. VB, Delphi, .NET) that make programmers out of artists. As people are obviously not going to stop developing this crap, I'll guess I'll just have to keep biting my lip :D

Whatever happened to software developers with actual talent o_O

13. jaydpiii

jaydpiii Registered Member

I, previously, only knew of Acronis TI and Norton Ghost (Yuck) previously. That is until a recent review in ZDNet (or was it PCMag) this week, with their Editor's Choice of StorageCraft's Shadowprotect (at ouch $79). And I did what I always do, use reviews as a start and search out actual users comments - which led me to this Forum - specifically this thread from Nervous Nellie. I only got as far as August 2006, and read enough posts to want to consider the Terabyte products.

I have a few questions:

1.) What is FDISR? What is it used for? And where to buy/download (Commercial or Free)? A Google search's only useful result led me back to these forums.

2.) Realizing my necessity for an image back-up, a while back - I stumbled upon a program that all it does is back-up and restore, if needed. (It also can mount the image as a virtual drive, too.) KERiver Image Backup from KERiver. Has anyone heard of it? Or used it? (It was only $15, I think - so as a quick stop-gap, just-in-case, I purchased it. Though I have not been able to test using the back-up. A little intimidated, and I can NOT afford to loose my Primary system. However I recently purchased an external USB drive - so I will see if I can restore an image to the extenal USB drive - doubtful.

3.) (looong) I at least have time before disaster strikes to research an inexpensive, reliable, known image back-up program. Based on the responses in this thread (at least through August 2006 - as far as I got - several pages) e-mail support from TeraByte appears to be very good. You see I have a system that was rebuilt about 2 years ago, everything but my one and only hard drive. It has years of data and apps and tweaks - so I need a good program for WHEN, not IF it fails.

I do have an older IOMega USB 1.0 external hard drive loaded with all of my data on it. And a recently purchased USB 2.0 Seagate Free Agent external USB 2.0 also with all of my data, and the KERiver backed up image on it. I also just purchased an internal Serial drive, which also now has my data and the KERiver backed up image. I use the old IOMega backup on that drive, and Creedo on the Seagate, and MS SyncToy also to both USBdrives as well.

I just purchesed a new internal serial drive so I can test restoration of my primary drive's image. So now I am now in a position where I can now use my new internal Serial drive as a test for my backed-up image of my Primary C drive which is my Windoes XP Pro boot with all apps and data.

This third question is, how do I go about testing the image?
    I mean how do I go about after restoring the image to the serial drive, how do I set the serial drive as my primary to boot? Through the BIOS?
    And if it fails to boot, how do I go back to booting from my C drive?

Thanks for any info.

14. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

You are fortunate to have purchased a Seagate drive,as this entitles you to download and use freely,for your complete system, an alternative version of Acronis True Image 10,one of the best comprehensive imagers.

Download Disc Wizard here

Install and follow the detailed instructions,which will answer most of your questions.

FDISR is no longer available.

15. jaydpiii

jaydpiii Registered Member

YES, but what was FDISR and what was it for?

P.S.> With a Seagate or a Maxtor you get Disc Wizard AND an offer to upgrade to full Acronis TI 11 for only $29.99! That price makes it worthwhile.

16. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I am sorry to say that FD ISR is no longer available. If you are interested in it's history then have a look here.

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It isn't quite true that FDISR is no longer available. It is not available in its final form where you can archive and have 10 snapshots.

BUT it still is available as FDISR-Rescue from Horizon Data Sys. True no archives or 10 snapshots, but I used it for a couple of years prior to having archives, never used more than one extra snapshot, and I can't count the number of times it saved my bacon.

Pete

18. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

forget about FDISR[Bootback] its no longer sold.

19. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Forget about the old version of FDISR at all, as has been mentioned.If you want an ISR as well as an imager,by all means buy FDISR Rescue,as Pete said,its a great little app.
    It would complement DiskWizard nicely! you would be covered for most disaster and backup emergencies.

Otherwise,suggest you concentrate just on the free DiscWizard and getting to know it-probably sufficient for all your needs.
    TI 11 has a few additional features which are by no means essential-a lot of users seem to prefer TI 10-I know I did.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.