Alternative to Shadowprotect

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by xayide, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xayide

xayide Registered Member

Hello,

We have tested Storagecraft Shadowprotect Server Edition and found it very good in terms of functionality, speed and at the same time beeing easy to work with. I read numreous threads about activation problems. Our servers are not allowed to reach internet. So now I wonder is there any other software compareable to Shadowprotect that we can buy instead?

We have a 240 licenses of BackupExec today which we are not very happy with, since its slow, cumbersome to use and incosistent backups.

A few things I like with SC Sp that I would like in the alterntative..... Imagebackup, Convert Image directly to VHD/VMDK, Incremental backups with image collapse.
    It also needs to be able to hot imagebackup server with Exchange, SQL, Active Directory and such sensible data.

But please provides as with alternative to SC SP!

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

You may want to take a look at Acronis, and Macrium Reflect. Those are the only two I can compare with SP. Keriver could also be a possibility if they have a server edition. I did not see one on their homepage.
    -http://www.acronis.com/
    -http://www.macrium.com/default.asp

4. andylau

andylau Registered Member

Why don't ask Shadowprotect directly?:D

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

imo in your use not much compares to sp. macrium is great also but does not do the collapse you asked about, i have never used image for windows on a server yet but they have a great program that is excellent activation wise. im not super crazy about it but you can look at O&O disk image i do no think it can collapse though but its been a few months since i played with it but they do offer a server specific version.

i have tried and own pretty much every program out there and for server use i feel sp is the best there is. sadly we have had activation issues as you mentioned and its a real pain to get it fixed when it happens especially if you need it fixed right away

6. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

The activation issue is the one reason I don't use it as much. However, I think if your servers aren't accessible on the internet you can manually activate them via phone. I know it's not speedy when you need it, but might be worth it the effort over forklifting out the product for a new one.

7. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Nothing I've tried for home use has came close to ShadowProtect's speed and rock solid performance. (I use it to make "cold" images.) I was very pleased to learn that our turn key backup (where I work) uses ShadowProtect. I know we are in good hands.

Bottom line... I would definitely speak with StorageCraft on non web activations. IMO, time well spent.

8. napoleon1815

HAN,

Do you take your cold images with the software installed on your system or take it without it installed? I know if you don't have it installed on the system you are imaging - cold or hot - you can't use the HIR and maybe something else...not 100% sure what though.

9. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

10. timcan

timcan Registered Member

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

^^ anyone use that it actually looks pretty nice

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't think there are any other programs that really match SP's continuous incremental back up feature.

I have a set that has been running since the First of May. I take an incremental every 30 minutes and the average time per incremental is about 7 seconds. I never feel them. It just runs trouble free even if I reboot when they are supposed to run.

Pete

13. napoleon1815

zfactor,

I am loading it up now...will post my results. I started a new thread yesterday about it...I will post on that one. Thanks.

14. Yessamws

Yessamws Registered Member

If you like the features of the ShadowProtect product, give us a shout and we can see what the process may be in your environment for activation. You lose nothing for the inquiry.

Good luck!

15. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I download the ISO from StorageCraft and create the bootable CD. I then boot into the ShadowProtect Windows PE environment to make my images. Nothing is installed and it runs very fast. I have even used the bootable Win PE CD to do some file maintenance that I couldn't do in regular Windows! Handy tool!

16. xayide

xayide Registered Member

Oh thanks god. There are at least some alternatives. I also found CA Arcserve and IBM Tivoli. But at this point the ActiveImage Protector seems to be a good candidate and I await review.

I tried SC SP but license is an issue and I will not putmore effort on that. Considering 240 servers I do not want any issues and gambling is not my thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.