Alternative to Outpost?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by vault, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vault

vault Registered Member

Hi,

I'm currently using Outpost 4 and NOD32 (always on) with trojanhunter and ewido (on demand). I've got a Linksys WRT54G connected to my cable modem, and there are only two computers on the network...this one and another desktop. I don't do any P2P nor do I run any kind of server.

I've had problems with Outpost BSOD'ing randomly while I'm in the middle of working, and I see on their forum other people have complained about that too. I also find it a pain to get the rules exactly right, a lot of times I will see "port scan by finance.google.com," a lot of blocked traffic on port 1900, and quirks like that.

NOD32 also seems to catch things way before Outpost, like if I'm surfing and it throws up a warning. To my knowledge, Outpost has never actually had to deal with any kind of malware or real attack, nor has the blockpost plugin ever blocked anything at all (and I have a pretty big list in there that I got from their forum).

I'm looking to switch to something simpler. Any suggestions? I don't mind paying, but I want something secure and lightweight, where I don't need to constantly tweak my configuration. Is that possible? I feel like with Outpost every day is an adventure, and I'm learning way more than I want to about networking...I use this computer for work too, and I'm spending way more time than I should be dealing with my firewall.

This is a 2.8 ghz Xeon with a gig of ram and XP SP2. I've been looking at Jetico and Look 'n Stop. I'm not interested in Zone Alarm.

thanks

2. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

Look n Stop (pay) or Comodo (free).

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have been using LnS for several years with complete satisfaction. I don't have the knowledge to make rules, and have used the Enhanced Rule Set.
    The only other firewall I have used is Kerio 2.1.5, and it has been equally trouble free.

Best,
    Jerry

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Outpost shouldn't be picking up port scans or blocking much traffic if your routers firewall is doing its job. Have you checked to make sure your hardware firewall is on and configured?

If you want a firewall thats super light, highly configurable and quite easy to use then Look'n'Stop is awesome.

6. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

try comodo if you do not wish to use zonealarm...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.