Alternative to best of breed

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by cothm, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cothm

cothm Registered Member

I respect this forum. I have learned some good things here.
    I believe in layered security and best of breed software.

I currently run NOD32, Comodo, Spyware Doctor and Prevx1.

I tied ZA. HATED IT. Tried Outpost. Ummm better. but still ditched it.
    Tried Kiero. Liked it and now I am happy with Comodo.

But my whole point of posting is this, why constantly be bothered keeping up on the latest and greatest of the best of breed software and pay all the diffferent licenses when you can just jump ship altogether and drop the OS?

I have decided to seriously evaluate Linux. All my truly geeked out friends use it. They all swear by it. And from what I have heard it just does not get blasted day in and day out like Windows.

They say all you need is a first class router with and excellent firewall in it like D-Link or whatever and your good to go.

I have two friends who use only Linux as the OS and they both say they have never ever ever had a virus or any other crap.

So who needs windows? I mean really? Who needs it.

It's not worth all this day in and day out garbage.

Soooooooooo, I am all ears.

What do you say?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

serious gamers and those not ready or comfortable with switching OSes yet.
    if ur determined on switching, may i suggest ubuntu or any of its variants?

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well, not all applications are available on all platforms or run well under, for example, CodeWeavers Crossover. Also for best compatibility in a business environment, it's sometime necessary.

I do run a couple of variants of Linux on one machine and always keep a Linux Live CD/DVD handy, so I'm not completely unaware of the playing field.

If I were to go seriously in that direction, it would be via Apple/OS X, and that could be the case on when I pick up a personal laptop.

Blue

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Teehee..funny seeing "first class router with excellent firewall" in the same sentence as DLink.

I've run Ubuntu on my laptop now 'n then. I actually use a *nix based router...Endian, quite robust in features..much more than your conventional home grade plain old NAT router.

However...to drop Windows and go to *nix? I'm not left with much to do.
    I'm pretty much out of luck for most of my online first person shooter games. Those that interest me anyways.

At the office...lost my compatibility for client contact.management list, billing/accounting software.

Businesses...they pretty much build their network around the software they run their business on.

5. dog

dog Guest

I would be like one of your geek friends -- I use only Linux.

While linux doesn't have the same issues Windows does, it's only because no one is going to target 0.05% of the market. Linux does have malware (mainly rootkits), but it isn't too common. Linux users are general more advanced users and better understand or are more in tune with the inner workings of their OS. It isn't too difficult to migrate but it does take effort on a users part to learn. There are plenty of security tools for Linux - but they're all free (generally) in both senses (there isn't a reqirement to run any of them either, but they are available for those that wish to) -- Windows has tools available for free, there actually isn't a need to spend a penny in Windows either, you can secure your system without spending a cent.

If you want to switch, dual boot for a while and get a feel for Linux. :)

Steve

6. dog

dog Guest

True with specialized apps ... but in most cases there is a viable opensource alternative that is compatible. Also now that M$ is going to comform to open document standard ... it'll make the field even more level ... but that doesn't account for some of the specialized apps that won't operate under wine ... but I think that gap is closing too. :)

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have stayed away from linux mainly due to compatibility with the software I use (Cad/Cam ~3d solid ~ rapid prototype), but I suppose I could use linux on my internet PC (my main PC`s are not online). I think the only reason I dont switch over is due to support I (try) to give on the windows platform.

But I do believe,.. if everyone changed over to linux,... would that make everyone safe,... or just make malware creaters tarket linux,.... I (personally) do not believe linux is infallible.

just my thoughts,

Regards

8. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Unfortunately, I do.
    For AutoCAD, other design software, over a dozen engineering proggies, MS Project (my ONLY M$ software), and many other various and sundry utility and security apps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.