Alternative Firewall to work with Router?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Robyn, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I know this may be impossible but is there any software application which would prompt me to allow a program access from my computer (similar to the way RegProt works - accept or reject) without having to use a full software firewall as I have a hardware Router Firewall.

I am running Sygate Pro but am wondering if the full firewall is totally necessary when any incoming traffic is blocked by my router. I use Sygate for application control but would like to know if there is any software which I could use other than a full firewall?

I have my license for Sygate and will continue to use it as I do like to be very safe but when I read some of the information with my router conflicts can arise with software firewalls (I haven't encountered any so far) therefore I am researching other possibilities at this stage.

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

When I was on Dial-up I used LooknStop. When I finally made the jump to Broadband and put myself behind a router, I switched to ZoneAlarm Free version. Like you, I wanted something to catch any outgoing communications. I switch because supposedly LnS is hard to set up with a router. I was surprised to learn that ZA needed no setup at all, it worked immediately with the router. Even the usually troublesome port 113 is stealth although that took some configuring in the router, ZA had nothing to do with that. Good luck.

Acadia

3. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks for your reply which confirms to me that LooknStop is not for me as I came to the forum thinking the name implied the very program but read the configs for a router :( I think I am looking for something which is not there :oops: and will continue to use Sygate which is a good firewall and would be useful for network sharing. I know my router has all my ports stealth but it is easier to configure my applications with Sygate. At least I know someone else had thought of the same thing ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.