Alternative Browsers

Discussion in 'polls' started by the Tester, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi

I didn't list any IE- based browsers.The reason for that is IE is most common and I figured a browser based on IE would be compatable with most web-sites.

Which browser have you found to be the most compatable with the web sites that you normally visit?
    By " compatable" I mean regarding access,pages displaying properly, functionality(for instance,can you post in a forum with no bugs?).

I think this is an interesting subject since I am always looking for an alternative to M$ programs(IE)

When I look at a browser as a prospect for my system,compatability is a big part of the equation for me.Speed enters into that also,but not as much.

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Nice topic indeed.

I voted for Opera 7.01, but was tempted to vote for Phoenix. That's one browser to follow closely.
    I love Opera. Mighty quick, small, what more can you ask. O yeah, I don't seem to get it to do this java stuff correctly. Must be my own fault, because otherwise it's very good.

3. the Tester

Meneer,

I really like Phoenix.
    It's "light" and fast.
    Something like Opera.Less features though.

I'm comparing Mozilla and Phoenix.
    I like them both,but haven't decided which is more website compatable yet.They both are better than I expected on that issue. :)

4. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I use Kmeleon with the Mozilla 1.3 back end coded into it replacing the 1.2 that comes as standard, its very light, fast and very easily hacked about.
    Before that I was a Phoenix user and before that a devout Moz fan, its gecko all the way!! ;)

Kev

5. I_lack_commonsense

I_lack_commonsense Registered Member

I voted for mozilla 1.21 (hope 1.3 final comes out soon).

I am currently trying out Opera 7.01 but it is dead slow on my XP computer.

I definitely like Opera for all the security and privacy features but it had problems rendering a few pages. Overall mozilla seems like a better fit for my needs. The only complaint that i have about mozilla is having to go to 3 different areas to clean history, cache, and cookies in preferences. In Opera you can click the option delete private data and have all those areas checked and u r clear. Love that feature, wish mozilla could ummm borrow it ;)

6. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Im using phoenix, its nice an light and really easy to use .So its good for me. :)

7. the Tester

I agree about Phoenix 100%!

It's really light on resources.
    While it has less features than Mozilla,I can't part with it.
    It is fast.

I haven't found any compatability problems with the sites that I use on a regular basis.Mozilla and Phoenix are equal on that issue for me.
    I did have a few problems with page rendering when I used Opera.There were two sites that caused minor annoyance.My responses to posts didn't show on Opera.It shows with any other browser I have used.And no, this forum wasn't one of those sites. ;)

8. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hi !

I have Crazy Browser. It has many tools and device to accomodate your surfing:

1. A pop-up filter--swallows these P-US like the li'l baby below-- :D :D :D
    2. Unable/disable Java or Activex scripts.
    3. Page Translation: over than 19 languages--
    4. Shut unwanted windows or unable them as u like it
    5. Opportunity to add more components
    6. Works along with IE
    7. Just a few bugs have occured (3 in 5 months)
    8. Easy browsing

Not a "fast" browser but a very convenient one. :) Uguel

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQAXA2QVcwXciAP!2Y3xwYww!adfIjkDAqjChfUKvrNHppwCvV0R!rpjURfmiaKn4FhxrLTw5KjU0prz2qj6Gyn88Xto5a3mMMwivWej7CpRMdcVAh0LKw/123gifs0360.gif?dc=4675408958369667249

9. crockett

crockett Registered Member

:)Hi Guys...

Tester, following what I just read on this thread, I decided to give Phoenix a try... Looks rather impressive I must say !

Not many features, but all the fundamental and necessary ones seem to be present. I'll use it for a couple of days before making my mind about it...

Any previous threads regarding this browser ?

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

10. the Tester

HI Crockett.

I heard about Phoenix at the spywareinfo forum.

The version that I have is 0.5.
    I haven't had any stability problems with it.
    I've been monitoring resource usage and Phoenix is very light.
    On my system,Phoenix is in Opera's league as far as speed.
    I'm a bit surprised by that.
    This is my first exposure to the Mozilla family of browsers.
    One thing that Mozilla has over Phoenix is access to POP mail accounts.
    That feature is really smooth!!!

I seldom use IE or myIE2 anymore. ;)

11. crockett

Hello again...

Internet Explorer I don't even remember what it may look like :D I tried Mozilla a couple of months ago and was pleased, despite some webpages not being displayed correctly at the time. I also thought it was kind of overweight and too resource-consuming on my system...

I stopped using Mozilla because of my love for Opera. Having said that, I've always admired the work ethic the Mozilla team is manifesting. Seems now that Phoenix is embedded with the Mozilla qualities AND extremely fast speed and lightness !

Can't wait to receive some other users's impressions, good or bad, about this browser so I can get to know it better.

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

12. solarpowered candle

I have been having a lot of fun playing around with the mozilla 1.2.1 and Phoenix0.5 and Kmeolon . The K meolon is definitely the fastest I think on my pc. I find it really a lot of fun and most interesting learning about the diffirent ways one can change there browser. I dont think there are many earlier threads about mozilla and pheonix and k meolon here , but Im sure someone will prove me wrong lol I was reading that they are working on a mail account , as mozilla has, for Pheonix which will really make Pheonix an excellent browser . :)

13. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

There are a couple of email clients underway but dont hold your breath, also they wont be included in Phoenix compiles, Phoenix is a browser only and adding bloat via an email client is counterproductive to its aim.
    And another thing, it wont be called Phoenix for much longer ;)

Those interested in its develop and a very useful forum for all gecko based browsers on all o/s can visit http://www.mozillazine.org/

14. solarpowered candle

Gee Tinriibs I was reading in the FAQ http://texturizer.net/phoenix/faq.html#1.9 that Phoenix is a web browser only, not a complete web solution. However, the Phoenix developers are actually working on a standalone mail/news client which will also be based on the Mozilla codebase. It will be designed to have a similar user interface as Phoenix. Blake Ross, one of the Phoenix developers, has posted a note on MozillaZine about the new project, called Thunderbird. Has this changed in recent days? It would be a shame i feel as the k meolon is a sleek fast no frills browser and the pheonix sort of inbetween Mozilla and kmeolon For anyone interested the forum for mozilla and pheonix ( new name as Tinribs says to be soon decided) is http://www.mozillazine.org/forums

15. the Tester

Hmmm.

K-meoleon huh?
    I saw that browser listed at webattack.
    Never looked at it closely though.
    I'll check that browser out .

:D I ran across IEradicator lately.
    I'm seriously thinking about dumping IE altogether.
    I use it less and less as I run the alternative browsers that I have installed.

A new name for Phoenix?
    That's interesting.Some of the names mentioned in that link are cool.

16. the Tester

You K-Meleon fans were right .

I installed it with the fast loader feature.
    I'm impressed!This "Lizard" is fast!

It's a little harder to change skins with K-Meleon,but the skins are fast downloads.

I'm going to get familiar with this browser and run it some more.

It's a little awkward getting used to setting it up.
    The pages are rendering nice though.

I see what you meant by "light" on resources.

This is a cool browser with some potential.

17. solarpowered candle

Yea I just decided to dump my IE as well with iradicator http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html You talked me into it tester :) Wasnt sure what would happen if I deleted it , but absolutely nothing except Im free of a lot of hassles now and a lot more space on my pc. And rebooted into launching off with k meolon Journey well
    :cool:

18. the Tester

I checked out IEradicator.
    I can't find a version that is compatable with XP. :(

I understand that sp1 for XP allows the removal of IE,but there aint no way I'm taking that on my pc.

I haven't found any other IE removal program from a Google search....Yet!

19. Daniel SR

Daniel SR Registered Member

Netscape 7.1 browser and mail.

20. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running a stripped version of mozilla1.5. It doesn't seem to have an page problems that I have noticed. Seems to work about as well as IE.

Attached Files:

21. RJ100

RJ100 Registered Member

Hello all, :)

Well right now I'm trying the Mozilla Firebird 0.7 browser and
    I can't believe what I've been missing. That is compared to IE6.0
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/
    This tab browsing is a must have for multiple pages active.
    Work strictly as stand alone. Delete the folder and its gone.
    The speed is noticable right off the bat.
    Security is much better.
    Built in pop-up blocker and a raft of other useful features.

I guess the other neat thing is, you basically get the default
    browser and if you want more features, simply go to the
    extensions page and just add what you like.

Man, this almost sounds like an add....... :eek:

Take care

22. bigc73542

I tried firebird but it had a few issues I didn't like on this computer with it. But the minimum install of mozilla is just about the same as firebird but I don't have negative issues to contend with. Maybe I will be able to use firebird after they get it out of beta. :)

23. bigc73542

I just downloaded opera 7.22 and gave it a test drive. I think I will stick with mozilla, they are both excellent browsers but to me mozilla is the easier of the two to use and configure

Attached Files:

24. crockett

Hi :)

Hope you're doing fine. Mozilla clearly a very good choice.

As far as easiness to configure is concerned, I nevertheless have to slightly disagree with you...

Running Opera, by single-clicking the 'security icon' I immediately get the panel shown below... Fast direct access to any core element of the browser's configuration.

Attached Files:

25. crockett

Should I press F4 in Opera I'll get the Hotlist Menu showed in next screenshot... Note all the features I instantly can access this way, among which mail client, bookmarks, links, etc. Of course, the Bookmaks list I also can access directly on the Main Navigation Bar...

At any time, hitting F12 gives me immediate access to the 'Quick Preferences' menu, enabling me to one-click switch between accept/deny cookies, enable/disable JvS, enable/disable Java, Referrers, Proxy servers, popups and so on...

BTW, if I want to go back one page in History, I don't hit anything, since holding the right mouse button and making a small gesture to the left does the trick. Forward needs a right gesture, 'reload' a small up-and-down gesture, etc.

Vintage Opera. That's rather cool to say the least...

Attached Files:

• F4.gif
      F4.gif
      File size:
      22.6 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.