alternate to Threatfire

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cb4f_s, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cb4f_s

cb4f_s Registered Member

hello
    i recently installed Threatfire,but seems nice programm,but my system gone slow since installed,
    now im thinking would shift to alternative to threatfire, so is there other programms out there which shoud be best ...
    with
    Eset Security Suit

2. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

Sana Security Primary Response SafeConnect

http://www.sanasecurity.com/products/pr/index.php

It's a behaviral blocker just like Threatfire.

Norton Antibot. It's just a rebranded version of Sana Security Primary Response.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/products/overview.jsp?pcid=is&pvid=nab1

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I installed the free trial version of "Primary Response" on my computer and it caused several immediate disappearing blue screens with white text during reboot. Why is M$ doing this ? I don't even have the time to read these blue screens. I need a flash or bsod camera.
    So my computer became insana, instead of sana and FDISR saved the situation as usual and that was the end of "Primary Response".

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  4. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

A user of AntiBot for almost 1.5 months now, with zero symptoms of system instability thus far. AntiBot also boasts of less FPs than ThreatFire, though at the price of less effectiveness against malware.

5. zhanwest

zhanwest Registered Member

MicroPoint
    beta and free

6. JCorliss

JCorliss Registered Member

Prevx? I think that's a behavioral blocker. Though that's probably heavier than Threatfire.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'd have to recommend Norton Antibot also, I ran it here for several weeks without any issues. Performance was very good...

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

Prevx2 = partial behaviour blocker + other things.
    Again, several experts have different views of its definition. Confused already ?
    Picture this: is chicken is a chicken or a poultry ? Have a nice thinking.

9. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I am running AntiBot here. I tried TF a couple of weeks ago to see what it was about but Windows Sidebar would not open with TF installed for some reason.

10. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Same here. Installed OnlineArmorFree. You can uninstall OA-firewall if you prefer to run the one in ESET

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I installed the trial version of Norton Antibot. All went well, just like with Primary Response. Then I rebooted, no blue screen this time, but when my desktop was completed, my computer rebooted again without saying anything until the desktop was there and rebooted again, again and again. So I was stucked in an infinite loop of reboots without any error message.
    Again FDISR had to save me from Norton AntiBot and that was the end. No AntiBiotica for me either. :D

I think my system isn't mature enough to handle this intelligent group of softwares.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  12. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

Primart Response Safe Connect / AntiBot are available on Vista64. This looks like a sort of architectureal advantage to for instance ThreatFire and A2 AntiMalware (they seem to be capable of offering a Vista64 product). Until PRSC has no FP or warnings given (so hope it does something).

On Vista64 PRSC is the best and only behavioral blocker to my knowledge. On XP and Vista have a look at Mamuto or A2 antimalware with IDS when you look for an ThreatFire alternative.

Regards Lees

13. norman6810

norman6810 Registered Member

I am a user of MP.It often doesn't influent your system too much.
    And someone thought that MP is only a hips.The following information can give you more knowledge about MP.(It comes from the Microprint Forums)

HIPS will monitor and block the api actions which can potentially influence the security of the system. So better name it the monitor or blockers of the api actions. For example, creating the file, installing the global hook,creating the remote thread, modifying the other thread memory, creating/modifying the registry, no matter the running application is Trojan or the normal, hips will alerts if the application execute the api actions which are under monitor. Common users can not using it easily when lots of useless information appears.

To avoid the useless information, EQ use the rule packet which like the network firewall. One API action has the corresponding rule and has no logical relation. The user can set the system and the using API action in advance to avoid the useless information. But these rule packets will influence the normal running of the application, for example, when you install, uninstall and update the software. So the user need to shutdown the protections of the hips temporally then restarts the protection after finish the instillation. Obviously, many malware bind with the normal software which will be installing can be infecting. It is very dangerous.

Microprint proactive defense software is totally different with the hips. Micropoint will judge the application which is virus or not by a series of the API actions, and the library of the virus logical actions. The Artificial intelligence analyze will judge the virus accurately, and avoid the useless information which more suit to use by the common user. As the application add one registry item (one API action), the hips will alerts the user this is the suspicious action, and inquiry the user whether execute this. Especially when the normal application has been bind with the virus , The user will make the wrong choice.

14. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

15. Hairy Coo

Zhanwest and Norman 6810,

Thanks for recommending Micropoint beta(90 days registration)

A few quick comments-its been discussed as below.

It was a bit troublesome in installing-it must be registered first.

The System Autorun(start with Windows) didnt succeed-needed special configuration

The popups "Deny Recommend" to everything-even otherwise Trusted Apps.,the regular firewall,Outlook- a bit of a worry-

suggest the word "Recommend" should be removed.

No doubt due to lack of appropriate whitelist.

But it looks really interesting and complete-even has a simple rules based firewall.

The total mem. usage is about 15K.

I have not used it long enough to make any other comment -intelligent or otherwise.

Pity there is no English Help File.

This has been discussed here;

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=164621&highlight=Micropoint+beta

Edit-here is the Help File;

http://cob23.sharebig.com/d/sdrtwytsu/05EoP7j4662333F0D/mp100201.rar.htm

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  16. norman6810

norman6810 Registered Member

Hairy Coo,
    I 'm a user of MP.
    I can give you some explanations about your conmments(It is based on my experience.)
    1. Yes,If you want to refresh the MP,you must registere first.

2. MP couldn't autorun with the windows?
    Maybe it conflicts with your other security software.

3. You suggest the word "recommended" should be removed.
    I think it is about the MP company.You can e-mail to the Mp company by yourself.Their e-mail is support@micropoint.com.cn .

4. No doubt due to lack of appropriate whitelist?
    Yes ,the whitelist is limited, because the users are most Chinese.Maybe it will enlarge its whitelist in the future,due to the users.

5. The firewall is a simple rules based one, but it is enough to me.

6. The total mem. usage is about 15M.

7. It's a pity!But the Pure english version is releasing now,you can get it from http://www.micropoint.cn/ (As far as I know,the interface is not so good now, because it is a Beta version.And it will improve later.)

8. It has an English Help File.

17. Hairy Coo

Thanks.

Edit-Yes there is a Help file under "assistance(h)" top bar.

Looks really fully featured!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.