Alternate Email client

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Phazor, Oct 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadmanschest

deadmanschest Registered Member

Hi all - seems no one has mentioned (freeware) Pegasus 4.01 from NZ. Large program, but full featured, secure and fast for its size. Has a 'Send To' utility (add-on) that integrates into Windows Sent To menu. Became my replacement for Outbreak Express.

Allows you to run multiple versions of the app, but only one at a time.

I also use the Opera browser client, small and fast and cleanly integrates in the browser, very fast Only supports POP account, no IMAP.

Pegasus is overkill for my needs, but it has some powerful filter capabilities built in, and is very well written, with some excellent Help menus, if needed. It ran very well straight out of the box.

dmc

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

I use The Bat! and love it.... It is very easy to use. As far as resources, It uses about 9 megs the way I have it set-up. I use PGP with it integrated into The Bat1! and have 4 mail accounts set-up.

You can import mail with the types *.msg, *.eml, *.msb and from unix mailboxes.

You can also import mailboxes, see below attachment.

HTH.

Regards,
    Kent

Attached Files:

• MB.jpg
      MB.jpg
      File size:
      29.1 KB
      Views:
  3. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

As far as updates are concerned, here is what RitLabs says:

* Note for users of previous versions of The Bat! - do not uninstall your existing copy of The Bat! - just install the new version over. It will save your breath and time. Registered users of The Bat! - your registration is valid for this version and other 1.xx versions - just follow the instructions above.

The cureent personal edition version is 1.61. If I understand correctly, your registration will cover all updates until 2.0.

HTH.

Regards,
    Kent

4. Phazor

Phazor Registered Member

Ok i finally got around to getting it installed, got it set up and working retrieving mail. So far im liking it but i do have a few things i noticed that i dont care for and i dont know if there is some settings somewhere that i missed.
    Im on dial up by the way.

1. When clicking on the Poco icon, it asks me to enter my pop3 password before even logging on to the internet. I know its not OE but isnt this a little backwards?

2. Noticed when done checking mail and i quit the program I dont get that box that asks if i want to stay logged on or disconnect from the internet. Being on dialup it would be nice if i could get that box to come up.

Thanks Everyone for you imput.
    So far i have not done any importing as i want to get see how i liked it first.

5. root

root Registered Member

Poco saves your password. Did you put it in the accounts box when you set it up?
    Tool>options>under general setting>Network options, you can check automatically hang up after connections finished. No question box though.
    Go to the tools and all thru the accounts setup and check and make sure you have filled in everything you need.
    Then go to options and open up the tree view and check each page carfefully for the options you want. There are a lot of features there.

6. Phil

Phil Registered Member

root,

I know your post above is a little old but I wanted to say "thank you". I have been casting about off and on for several months for a new email client. I was forced to dump my old Netscape after purchasing this machine and have been using OE for the first time ever. OE6 *is* a good client but I just get that icky feeling every time I fire it up and can't get over it. I have tried a few and didn't like them for one reason or another. I was trialing The Bat! when I was linked to this thread from another. I know many people *love* The Bat! but they must drink a lot or somethin'. (sorry Paul and John -- HEY, does Ringo use it too? :D ) I'm quite sure I just didn't spend enough time with it to learn the in's and out's, but it didn't make me WANT to spend any more time. Had I not been using Total Uninstall, I would have had a heck of a time getting rid of it because it refused to uninstall and caused some system goofs. I have since read the new release does have problems on XP SP1. That's no joke! :rolleyes:

Anywho -- I am now a registered Pocomail user. I had looked at the web site several times before but never tried it. Your postings here prompted me to go ahead and give it a test drive. It only took me a very few days to see this is the one for me. Now I have to come to grips with the more powerful features like scripting but I don't think that will be too difficult. Now all we need to do is get ESET to get the new NOD32 squared away with Poco and we will be good to go. With the way Poco handles attachments, even *that* is not really a big issue.

So, again -- THANKS!

Phil

7. root

root Registered Member

Glad you like it Phil. I have been very satisfied with it.
    It even works well with the Outpost Beta testers newsgroup by properly threading the posts.
    It has all the function I can use and then some. :D

8. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hi!
    I had Pop Peeper installed since I heard many horror stories about "Outlook-sieve". ;) I didn't know about Poco or Bat but they sound good to me! Here some info about Pop Peeper:

Description

POP Peeper is a utility that runs in your Windows task bar and alerts you when you have new email on any of your POP3, Hotmail, MSN or Yahoo accounts. You can also use POP Peeper to read and delete your email. POP Peeper supports HTML email, so you can see your email the same way as you would in your email client.
    Requirements
    - Windows Operating System
    - One or more supported email accounts
    - Internet Explorer 4 (or better) for certain features (Webmail and viewing HTML)

Primary Features

Completely Free: No Ads. No Registration. No Fees.
    Easy Setup
    Compatible with the following Server Types: POP3, Hotmail\MSN, Yahoo
    Read and delete email without opening your email client
    HTML Email Support
    Save or Open File attachments
    No account limit -- notifies you of an unlimited number of accounts
    Be notified of new email with visual and\or audible indicators.
    So this it. Better than just letting OE goes by itself! Bye ! Uguel707

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQDeAiEVLeq4mbjbwxXRTwiGY*lxXQwCCpVOcY!GM7OW1LVuObqLD2Tow*ikq0qBSzcHwWWJ*!bZWRNVxXltPYS7fCz5Ajl41V9Ds!k*hgI/canada_.gif?dc=4675398005649011667

9. Phil

Phil Registered Member

That sure sounds like a neat app and would certainly be better than using OE alone. From the description, I only see one small problem with it as far as I am concerned -- it uses IE to render HTML. If you receive one of the nasties that targets IE and you don't have scripting and ActiveX turned off, it will get you anyway because it does use IE. As an alternative, you might want to take a look at MailWasher. It's also a cool little app. :)

http://www.mailwasher.net/

Phil

10. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Well, just correct me if I'm wrong:

the thing is, I have a modem,consequently IE doesn't start auto. and I customized Pop Peeper to go 20 minutes after prompting IE. In the meantime I can open my mail on the server, read it, delete or keep what I want. I open Outlook just after check up is done Mailwasher? I had already downloaded before and unfort. I couldn't install it properly.

I'm a beginner and I'm a bit clumsy!!! Had a hard time with PP too! If I had a high speed connexion I would do just the same: Have POP Peeper or another mail-checker starts only after a...minutes delay.The proof I had, I mean that OE it doesn't start anything before is: the enveloppes are still closed in IE mailbox even if mail has been opened before.When I'll be a "XP-grown-up" I'll have a look at other mail-watchers! So, do you think I'm still at risks? I' m looking for advice. See you!

Happy New Year!

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQDqBOwUCd6L8v2!zWMIGVjnSO4VxwxEgP6Kyp5qDZgHz3uGgri8!LI1CWTLJS6bPxhoU7xE*oHG2O3VqOZUUlkspuOA2TKMXoqpBTU7Z54/smile35.gif?dc=4675402435074012988

11. Phil

Phil Registered Member

OK -- I'm good at that. I have to correct my wife ALL the time! :D :D

There is a misconception about this "reading the mail on the server" business. The part that you see on your screen when checking mail with your utility, you actually *have* downloaded it to your machine. Otherwise, you couldn't see it. If the mail is HTML and you view it with Pop Peeper, it is using the Internet Explorer HTML rendering engine to show you that mail. That's the same thing Outlook Express uses when you pull the complete message from your server. It is still MUCH safer to use Pop Peeper because you are (usually) not pulling all the code.

I probably have caused you unneeded alarm. Since you are using XP, that means you are also using IE/OE6. If you have installed all the security updats, have active content disabled, and have OE in the restriced zone, you should have NO problems viewing HTML in Pop Peeper. There are a few exploits still not fixed in IE/OE, but the chances of you seeing one of them is *very* remote. I don't think you have anything at all to worry about but you do need to understand what you are seeing in Pop Peeper *is* on your machine and not only on your server. It's just a small part of it, though.

HTH
    Phil

12. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Thanks for your advice!
    Yes, I have windows XP and it already had many updates and security patches. ;)
    Well I'm puzzled, o_O I was sure I was reading the mail "out of" my computer not "in it". So, what's the asset then? Just reading less codes? If I have understood well : it's there ! :rolleyes: Fortunately, you said my chance to get stg bad is remote :) But, I must tell that: If I knew that I would need all these extras: anti-virus, firewalls, mailwatchers, spyblockers, trojan killers etc etc I wouldn't get connected. It makes things harder and harder. At x-mast time we had a good family chat about internet, and many people said that is becoming just too much! A new virus leads to a new update and so goes the wheel...They are right! Bye and thank you for your answer!
    ps: I read on the net that we should get rid of the VBS exe
    which is the visual basic script. That is said to cause a vulnerability in Outlook, I tried to delete it but I couldn't, it seems to be protected by Windows.

13. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Everything you see on the internet -- web pages, email, my words here -- everything, is downloaded to your computer. The advantage to seeing just a part of your email on the server is you can decide if you want to download the entire msg or not. Let's say somebody you know sends you a picture of their cat or something that happens to be 1 MB in size. Instead of taking 4 or 5 minutes to dl it, you can preview it in a few seconds and delete it -- time saved. Not to mention the ability to delete spam before it ever hits your hard drive.

As for needing all that other "stuff", you really don't if you practice what is called "safe hex".

http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Keep your OS and antivirus updated, turn on the XP firewall, and follow the tips in the above link and there is not much chance of anything nasty happening. The people that blindly click every dancing bear type link that is emailed to them and download files from questionable sites are the ones that get in trouble.

As for scripting -- yeah, that is a protected file and you can't delete it. If you could, you would quickly be in a mess because several things on your system *need* scripting to work. There *is* a way to disable it but I won't be the one to tell you how because then you would be blaming me when your PC broke. :rolleyes: Just follow the above tips and keep OE in the restriced zone and scripting won't be a problem.

Phil

14. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Well I'll go to bed a little bit smarter than I was before! :)

Thank you Phil! :D :D :D I will put your link in my bookmark and go to that site tomorrow. I never go to suspiscious sites. Some used to come to me before Microsoft patches. That happened even in "BCBG" or respectuous sites , even kids sites are sometimes targeted by malicious people. I don't use any peer-to-peer program which also leads to anything . Good night!http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SADnAsEVUhew7JqzMCQt1HOKPGRxgvQBwUONKanRqo4tKg0MyXXX1d5mvhUdsdqv1nkfRR754G8S43TtGjuMhsPvG1L9vJ5oadKUxeuNTvVdAAAAcXJkAg/091dormir0.gif?dc=4675397853794291570

15. Phil

Phil Registered Member

You're very welcome -- but just like that "delete scripting" thing, don't believe anything you read on the internet, even from me, until you check it out and satisfy yourself it is correct. Then you can pass on the knowledge you have gained to the next person that needs it with confidence it is right. :)

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.