Alternate Data Streams

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by phasechange, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

I had been pondering how well Alternate Data Streams are examined when I came across this article: http://www.cio.com/blog_view.html?CID=23011

Care to comment on Alternate Data Streams for hiding threats and how novel this "rootkit" is? In addition how welll does NOD32, KAV, etc cope with this sort of threat and are old fashioned techniques still good enough when kernel mode execution is used? I should probably have posted this in Other AV (we don't have a "general virus" board do we?).

Fairy

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

good thought and now it has been done ;)

3. phasechange

Thanks Bubba :D

4. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Here's a few links which might interest you.

Analysis of hidden data in the NTFS file system

http://www.forensicfocus.com/hidden-data-analysis-ntfs

The full paper in a PDF is here

www.forensicfocus.com/downloads/ntfs-hidden-data-analysis.pdf

Nick Skrepetos of SUPERAntiSpyware has stated the following,

"Viruses and Spyware/Malware are converging in regards to the some of the methods used to install and/or hide. Viruses typically "attach" themselves to other files. We are finding several spyware/malware applications that are using the Alternate Data Streams to hide within files on NTFS volumes.

As the detection methods of the anti-spyware applications get better, so will the ways the spyware/malware vendors use to hide and/or install."

Cloaking Technology of KAV, SAV, etc. Discussed

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15234821

StevieO

5. phasechange

The Forensic Focus article is very interesting. I also thought Nick Skrepetos is bang on about the convergence although there is also the question as raised by KAV5 of antimalware programs converging with malware and using similar techniques. Even malware mimics antivirus programs these days... with some malware fighting other malware.

My main interest of course is the evolution of the response to threats. I am particularly interested in the differences between how different programs take different approaches to the same problems. Features such as KAVs Scan Startup Objects not being seen in NOD32 for example.

Fairy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.