Alpha Shield X2, need a firewall too???

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Wills, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Hi, I have been googling the internet and saw some earlier discussion on Alpha Shield, in this forum and it was quite sometime ago, however it did not address the issue that I am posting on.

I just went on ADSL finally out here in the "boonies". I am ecstatic about the speed of course and am also aware of the potential dangers of being on ADSL.

I tried out the current version of Zone Alarm and it simply did not do the job for me. Buggy or something as my colleague said as we had intermittent problems accessing the internet. And also friends did as well, so ZA went down to the Salvation Army store where someone maybe able to get it to work for them.

First off, I have a Toshiba 2410 satellite notebook, XP. intel pent 4, mobile processor, and 512 RAM, 1.9 ghz. The warranty will be up in May, but this little work horse has never let me down and so i am still using it with my new one the toshiba M50-MX5 still in the box from the store. I will be unboxing it soon and setting it up and will continue to use both of them

What I wanted to know is if the Alpha Shield needs a software firewall. I have googled the net and the sales rep from the computer store that I bought it at said no it did not.
    It was a regular computer store that I shop at and not a Big Box store.

it was explained that only one port is open when I use my notebook and that the technology protects via the following technology that I will detail, blocking 65,536 ports.

1. Stealth IP technology, cocealing the computers identity from being visible on the internet allowing safe surfing in complete privacy.

2.RPA technology, Real Time Packet Authorization which uses Artificial Intelligence infrastructure to monitor inbound and outbound data.
    Without any delay, each packet of info is insepected and allowed access to only authorized addresses.

3. AlphaGAP technology. Access to your concealed system is managed via a seamless Disconnection/Reconnection process. This provides the highest level of network security and privacy by keeping you disconnected when you are not actively surfing.

The Office techie as well as the security company that handles all of our computers at our firm highly recommends the hardware.

My modem is a D-Link DSL 300G and it is connected to the Alpha Shield x2 which is then connected to the SMC 70004VBR Barricade that is connected to the computer.

The other Security proggys that I use are NAV, Spysweeper and the Sp2 firewall.

i wondered if anyone in the forum has had an experience with the unit as I did do a search on it and there was some discussion on Alpha Shield, however it did not ask the question that I am and that is whether the sp2 Firewall is sufficient.
    As the whole reason I am using this Alpha Shield is because I am not tech knowledgeable to know what IP addresses to allow in.
    I don't know what is good and bad don't want to use Software firewalls where I could be my computers worst enemy.

I would really appreciate comments. There were prior discussions about Alpha Shield as I said sometime ago, so I believe there are knowledgeable members out there and I would appreciate some advice on my post here.
    Thanks again.

Thankyou.

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I don't know a whole lot about Alpha Shield, but the fact remains that any external firewall isn't going to provide you with outbound filtering the way a software firewall will (it won't say "malware.exe is trying to connect, allow or block?", and it will likely just let it pass). Ideally you should have both. The software firewall will provide you with application control, and can filter according to how specific applications should communicate instead of just guessing based on the ports being used and such.

You could use something like Prevx1, AppDefend, or BufferZone, but I personally think you would be better off just using a dedicated firewall, maybe even setting up some rules for your various apps. My own preference is Look'n'Stop, very light, fast, and easy to use. IMO it's the best compliment to an external firewall of any kind.

3. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Hi,

AlphaShield seems like a nice App, but having a good bidirectional software FW as well certainly won't hurt, in fact you will be even more secure. But a FW and Router/Shield won't protect anyone from allowing all nasties etc in/out of a PC just by themselves.

If someone visits dodgy sites and/or DL all sorts of stuff from dubious sources etc etc, and clicks on things they shouldn't, then things can and do happen. Properly securing ones Browser and PC and safe surfing, goes a very long way to achieving no infections.

The later versions of Zone Alarm have had some issues, and have not always received high praise.

I'm using v5.5.062.000 and have had no problems with it. In fact v4.5.594.000 which i used before was actually lighter to run and doesn't have the useless decteitful AV misdetection that the later versions have, and other stuff you don't really need, but you can disable them as i have. The actual FW though is very good !

Download previous versions here - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/zap/releaseHistory.html - or,

Some people swear by v2.6.362 and say it's the best version of all - http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=zalarm

StevieO

4. Wills

Wills Registered Member

When one uses another FW like Look n Stop or say older versions of ZA as I son't use the current version b/c of bad experiences. Do I have to shut off my SP 2 FWo_O?

Perhaps a silly question, however I am not in the know tech wise.
    I always find FW's confusing, since they ask questions using the numbers and of course i don't know what they are all about and thus feel uneasy with the whole concept.
    I am going to look at Look n Stop and these older ZA's and see if I can understand what they are about, for this non tech mind.
    Regards

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yes, u should shut down the Windows Firewall. running two firewalls could cause conflicts.

6. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Thx for the reply, how do i do that, and again that will sound silly. But again i am not a tech.
    obviously i should have a FW downloaded or installed before I do this, however I don't know the process.
    I would be thankful for all comments, regards.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.