Along side with Blaster what other anti-spyware software do you use?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Santrago, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Santrago

Santrago Guest

me:

Ad-aware se pro 1.5
    spybot search & destroy 1.4rc2
    spyware doctor (pro)
    and spyware blaster

....and i was going to install webroot spysweeper but then i realized that i was too paranoic....and i don't needed to install that much software.those are enough. and for anti-virus i have mcafee 8.0i enterprise, but i'm thinking about installing panda antivirus instead of this......do you know if it's any good?

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Howdy there - and welcome to Wilders!

I've moved your thread to this forum section as it should receive more attention regarding privacy software in general over here than it would have int he SWb forum.

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Santrago

I would advise you the do a Check of spyware blaster as it as had some [well more then some] bad reports.

It is hidding in the good name of Javacool's SpywareBlaster [spywareblaster is all one word] who has just relesed Version 3.4

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

4. Santrago

Santrago Guest

i have version 3.4 of blaster, are you tellingme i should unistall it?

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Santrago,

Hi think what Quest was suggesting is that you confirm that you have Javacoo's Spyblaster (spelled as one world) and not another product.

In so far as spyware is concerned, McAfee does a really good job, so if you want any additional protection beyond what you have, then it is a matter of reaching your own comfort level.

My own setup includes the on-demand software that you mention (Ad-aware and SpyBot) but these are on-demand protection, so I have added a layer of real-time protection with ProcessGuard ( to stop all unauthorized software0 and RegDefend (to stop all unauthorized registry entries). I also have an anti-trojan (either Ewido or BOClean) running in real-time to support Kaspersky AV and trap things like keyloggers, but my experience is that KAV, ProcessGuard, and RegDefend appear to be more than adequate for the job. Oh yes, I also have Wormguard to monitor and stop unauthorized scripts.

So basically, KAV (or in your case McAfee) already offer excellent protection . If you are looking for additional real-time protection, you may want to look at pro-active defense products like ProcessGuard to keep out trojans and spyware.

Rich

6. + ShADoW +

+ ShADoW + Registered Member

Hey Santrago,

Here is some of the progs I use:

Spybot 1.4(demand scanner)

SpywareGuard 2.2(spyware download/hijack prevention)

SpywareBlaster 3.4(spyware prevention/spyware+adware+malware site protection)

Ad-Aware SE Professional(demand scanner)

PhishGuard(prevents fraud sites that steal credit card #'s/personal info when entered/stops you from going to sites like that first off)

A-Squared Personal 1.6(demand scanner/malware gaurd)

Look 'N' Stop 2.05p2(firewall/internet filtering in browser)

Nod32 Antivirus System 2.5(antivirus/demand scanner/internet monitor..etc)

Hope that helps :)

7. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

I have an AV/AT for RTS scanning

and Process Guard, RegDefend, and PrevX Pro for non signature based protection (these programs are most effective against trojans/spyware, worms and some against virii)

I also have multiple spyware apps for on demand scanning, but no longer feel the need to have them running RTS, as I have not found a single case of spyware infection since installing PG/PrevX/RD (RD is only a recent addition for me).

8. muf

muf Registered Member

My AS protection(including SpywareBlaster & Spybot's immunize) is as follows:

Resident:
    Ad-Watch(resident part of Ad-Aware)

Also, with both NOD32 and BOClean running resident they provide additional antispyware protection but are primarily for virus & trojan protection.

On demand:
    Spy Sweeper
    Spybot
    Ad-Aware
    PestPatrol
    Regrun Gold(which includes an antispyware module).

muf

9. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Along with Spyware Blaster I use Giant Antispyware.
    Ewido Security Suite is helpful for me also.It finds the occasional tracking cookies.

When my subscription to Giant expires I will look seriously at Counterspy.

10. 111

111 Guest

spywareblaster
    Ad-aware SE PE
    Spybot s&d 1.3
    Microsoft antispyware soon to be expired. X_x although i rarely update anymore
    Hijackthis 1.99.1
    win patrol
    cwshredder
    Bazooka never update anymore
    xcleaner free version. outdated like heek

11. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi there,

Kaspersky AV along with ProcessGuard and RegDefend are doing a great job of pro-active protection on mine computer and those of my friends' that have adopted it. It doesn't seem like much more is needed. However, I do run Giant AS, Ad-aware, SpuBot, CounterSpy, Ewido, TrojanHunter, and TDS-3 from time to time just to look things over (I have paid licenses so why not? :) ). Everything is always pretty clean except from time to time Ad-aware or Ewido will pick up a tracking cookie. This can easily be handled, without an AS, by clearing out cookies from time to time.

Rich

12. anoj

anoj Registered Member

Can someone tell me more about PhishGuard and the Netgard anti-phishing toolbar?
    Are these programs legit or scams/questionable/effective/malware, etc?
    Thanks.

13. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I am wanting to know more about this too.

14. hadi

hadi Guest

spywareblaster3.4
    spywareguard2.2
    ccleaner. set to clean on boot
    avast4home free
    and kids use this command on daily basis
    start>run> sfc /purgecache
    bare minimum security only.
    over 8 months and XP-SP2 is still fast and alive

15. claire

claire Guest

Hi,

I love SpywareBlaster but I must say that Spyware Shield has a larger data base(nearly double) than SB

The server of Spyware Shield is down for the time being but SS is worth a try

16. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi, Claire, I would not take too much notice of the database size number game, different programs use different methods of measuring signatures. Some use a single signature for multiple malware and others use single sigs for each piece of malware. :)

What is more important is how good the signatures are and how well the program cleans up the malware mess after being caught.

Enjoy your weekend. Pilli.

17. claire

claire Guest

Enjoy your weekend also Pilli but I must say that Spyware Shield has every entries of SpywareBlaster+ a lot of others ;)

18. larr

larr Guest

is there an anti-spyware that has identified this "spywareno" thing that is going around? my friend has been affected and can't get rid of it. his comp is slowly grinding to a halt.

19. Trooper

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

21. claire

claire Guest

Yes Jag it is this product.And yes it can be used along with SpywareBlaster

Have a great week end :)

22. Trooper

Hello Claire thanks for the reply.

You have a great weekend yourself. :)

Best Regards,

Jag

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.