Almost half of under-12s using Facebook

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Dermot7, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

2. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

In other news 99% of the internet population shares a birthday of January 1st.;)

Though does this really surprise anyone? Most users underage for any online service tend to lie or put down over 18 because they've learned there are no repercussions for doing so and they get the services they want. For sites like facebook I do not believe there is a limit that I know of however if one was in place it would be a simple task of adjusting their birth year accordingly.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

There's no way to stop this sort of thing without one of those "Age-Check" type deals that used to be around. You paid a buck or two on your credit card for verification, and you were in. It won't stop them from using their parents card, but that's an entirely different issue. There are massive amounts of fake profiles there to begin with, you don't have a clue if people really exist or are not who they say they are.

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

It's a major problem. Kids so young don't use good judgement when posting pictures, what they say about who, what they reveal, etc. Of course, that sounds like any age these days, but it's a bigger problem with the younger users using Facebook against the TOS.

In the USA the minimum age to use Facebook is 13. It's not younger anywhere else, but some countries have mandated older minimums.
    http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=157793540954833#How-do-I-report-a-child-under-the-age-of-13?

dw426 nailed the problem, though. How do you enforce this, really?

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

When I was a child, I loved (copies of) American comic books and cassettes. Many of the ads were unbelievable. Some included catalogue request forms, with an "over 18" checkbox and a signature line o_O

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I remember faking profiles, and still do so today (more so for privacy).

A child's psychological development varies greatly and isn't directly related to their physical development. Too young and too old are just stereotypes unless actually impossible, at least imo.

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

LOL! I can't remember if the X-ray vision glasses they always advertised had that over-18 checkbox or not!

I appreciate the link, Dermot7. It's a reminder to keep engaged on my kids' computer usage and may sure they're properly educated and that their systems are properly secured.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.