All the VPN's I tried were blocked

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by UsernameX, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UsernameX

UsernameX Registered Member

Hello.
    I have a problem to run a VPN in my computer.
    The problem is that my area I living in blocks me for run it, and if I managed to download the VPN software then somehow I see its deleting.
    For example I used Hotspotshield but now i can't use it anymore. I tried some many free VPN's but it is difficult to me to trust them security services.

How should I run a fast VPN with all that blocking?
    I tried also Direct VPN but after few days my account stoped to running. (It shows me an error message which means "timeout" that I can't use it anymore)
    and it is makes me more suspicious because I left them mail for the registration.

Im trying also the Tor service but It dose not works. I think because my living area automatic block's this connection option exactly like they blocking the VPN.

The first think I need to to is What should I do to run a normal and trusted VPN?

note: I also have not so good feeling about my computer because that happens me many times that when I want to click on some links or go to a website the webpage show me a massage like "this connection is not trusted" or an "SLL Error" message that the page I want to visit is not trusted. All that messages all the time put me In an uncomfortable situation.

2. UsernameX

I send you just the second part of my message, sorry guys.

Here is the full message (I tried to edit the source without success):

Hello.
    I have a problem to run a VPN in my computer.
    The problem is that my area I living in blocks me for run it, and if I managed to download the VPN software then somehow I see its deleting.
    For example I used Hotspotshield but now i can't use it anymore. I tried some many free VPN's but it is difficult to me to trust them security services.

How should I run a fast VPN with all that blocking?
    I tried also Direct VPN but after few days my account stoped to running. (It shows me an error message which means "timeout" that I can't use it anymore)
    and it is makes me more suspicious because I left them mail for the registration.

Im trying also the Tor service but It dose not works. I think because my living area automatic block's this connection option exactly like they blocking the VPN.

The first think I need to to is What should I do to run a normal and trusted VPN?

note: I also have not so good feeling about my computer because that happens me many times that when I want to click on some links or go to a website the webpage show me a massage like "this connection is not trusted" or an "SLL Error" message that the page I want to visit is not trusted. All that messages all the time put me In an uncomfortable situation.

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Forget Hotspot Shield. It's junk.

Try AirVPN, BolehVPN, Mullvad or Private Internet Access. If you must have free, try https://www.vpngate.net/en/ (or maybe SecurityKISS as well).

I don't know them.

Maybe you need to use a "secret" Tor bridge relay to bypass the block: https://www.torproject.org/docs/bridges.

You probably also need to scan your computer for possible infections. That may be beyond Wilders' mandate, however. Ask in the malware section. If you can, back up your data and then reinstall your operating system.

Well, Wilders uses a self-signed certificate, so you'll see that on your first visit. You may see that for other sites as well. After accepting them, which you should do only after confirming that you're accessing the desired site, you won't see that error again (until they renew the certificate).

4. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I think Mirmir's suggestion of reinstalling the OS should be the first thing that you do. Someone may have a remote access to it.....blocking all of the new stuff that you install. And I don't know if it is just a language barrier, but in your post you said that stuff was deleted from your computer. That doesn't sound good.

5. UsernameX

I did not said that there is things are deleted from my computer.
    I just said the account of the VPN server I tried to use was stopped running after few days. Stopped not deleted. And I talked about a "ssl errors" warnings or "untrusted connection" webpage message that sometimes appear in some cases.

I need to find a way to unblock the ISP that blocking the good VPN I used to run in the past.
    There is a good way to do this? I think it will be the best solution.
    But how can I unblock the ISP VPN blocking? there must be some way for it.
    I mean, if the VPN worked great for a 1/2 year, and one day it was stopped, it means the ISP find a way to block that.

P.S

I tried the gatevpn but its not managed to get a connection too.

Thank you for any help guys.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  6. mirimir

ISPs could block VPN connections in at least three ways. First, they could be preventing connections to IP addresses of known VPN servers. If you've had no luck with commercial VPN services or the free ones at -http://www.vpngate.net/en/, that's probably not what they're doing.

Second, they could be blocking connections to particular remote port numbers. Try using port 443 (default HTTPS port) instead of 1194 (default openvpn UDP port). AirVPN, for example, allows both UDP and TCP connections on port 443. Other VPN services (e.g., iVPN, Insorg and Mullvad) allow connections on less common ports, which may not be blocked.

Third, they could be blocking connections using the openvpn protocol. That block would be hard to evade.

7. OP do you live in CHINA?

8. UsernameX

mirimir, I appreciate your help, and all the other people helps me here.

I think the third option is not possible because I can use the last VPN that I thought It was blocked. So if there is a VPN that can works fine, it mean that the openvpn protocol connections did not blocked (or maybe I'm wrong?)
    The problem Is that this VPN is very very slow, It impossible to surf on net with that speed. Because of that I want to find the way to open the ISP blocking.

My knowledge In computer is not such as good, there is a guide or something that explain this port changing process?
    And the ISP will know that i changing the port? or it will be unknown for them? because they will blocking me realy soon if they will know that.

Thanks!

9. mirimir

Yes, that's a reasonable conclusion.

It might help to know what port and protocol (UDP or TCP) the VPN that works is using. You'll find that in a file with the extension .ovpn (Windows) or .conf (Linux). See below for an example.

You can just edit the openvpn configuration file. In Windows, it's in your VPN client's application settings folder. In Linux, it's in /etc/openvpn/.

Here's an example (from an old Mullvad configuration file):

Code:
    <snip>

# For those of you behind very restrictive firewalls,
    # you can use our tunnels on tcp port 80, as well as
    # on udp port 53.
    client

dev tun

proto udp
    #proto tcp

remote openvpn.mullvad.net 1194
    #remote openvpn.mullvad.net 80
    #remote openvpn.mullvad.net 53

<snip>
    Yes, your ISP can see the port that the connection is using. However, unless you have attracted individual attention, their software is probably just blocking some port numbers. So changing the port number to one that they're not blocking will just stop the blocking.

10. UsernameX

Ok, here is a edit.

This was not with the extension of a .ovpn but I found this:

proto tcp
    remote **.**.***.*** 443

(sorry for the --> * in adress, I dont know if it is too much private information)
    So It means that the protocol that the working VPN using is tcp in port 443
    I will need to change the protocol/port settings in the VPN I want to access?

Edit:
    I dont know why but I can't find the file with the extension .ovpn in the VPN I want to access.
    and for the port changes I need to find it. I search all over this VPN especially in config files,
    but there is no any .ovpn file there (in windows)

Maybe the next information will helps you:
    When I trying to running the fast vpn I want access, it shows me this:

state: waiting for server.
    then:
    state: TCP connect wait
    "Bytes In/out: 0/28" ... (the 'out' number is up and down, the 'In' is never changes)
    and then:
    state: Uninitialized.
    this is the failed connection conversation every time I try to connect.
    and in the final is shows me :"disconnected" of course.

When I trying to run the fast and blocking VPN when the working slow VPN is already running, this works. Although only a few seconds but its (the fast blocking VPN) unable to connect.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  11. mirimir

Yes.

You could try AirVPN. A three-day trial costs 1 EUR (-https://airvpn.org/payment_plans/). Both UDP and TCP connections use port 443. And they have excellent customer support :)

12. UsernameX

There is a way to change the port settings manually?
    I mean I don't feel comfortable to share paid information in issues like that.
    I search a guide that explain how to change ports in VPN from 1194 to 443 but I didnt understand the explanation.

13. UsernameX

THere is someone that can help me to learn how to change the vpn program ports which help me to bypass my ISP blocking for using VPN?

I try to find the .ovpn file like mirimir told me but there is no any file like this.
    the only file that I seen he looks like .ovpn that I found was a .hvpn file with this information:

;!version
    client
    dev tun
    ;route-noexec
    persist-key
    ;persist-tun
    ;route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
    nobind
    mssfix 1400
    ;ns-cert-type server
    verb 1
    mute 500
    auth-user-pass
    reneg-sec 0
    ;remap-usr1 SIGTERM
    inactive 1200 50000
    hand-***
    tls-exit

<ca>
    -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
    (a long code....)

TA==
    -----END CERTIFICATE-----
    </ca>

what i need to change it to open this vpn blocking?

14. mirimir

OK, that looks like an openvpn config file (typically .ovpn or .conf).

However, I don't see the options that you would change. The protocol (mode) is specified by "proto udp" or "proto tcp-client". The remote server IP address (or URL) and port are specified as "remote IPaddressorURL port", for example "remote somevpn.net 443" or "remote 1.2.3.4 443".

Maybe your VPN client stores that information somewhere else, to permit user-friendly switching from one exit to another. You can either search for it, or ask the provider.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.