All right, I'm a convert...

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by cthorpe, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

So I finally downloaded and installed the Raxco trial of this software... and it's amazing. I will be ordering a copy or two this afternoon. I looked at Rollback RX as well, but something about them giving discounts for writing testimonials made me uncomfortable. I couldn't help but doubt any good comments I saw about the program anywhere after seeing that.

I've run into a couple of issues, but even with them, this software is too good to pass up:

I tried to do a fresh install snapshot, following the instructions here: http://www.raxco.com/support/windows/kb_details.cfm?kbid=408

Everything went well with the install, and I was able to switch back to my other snapshots without problems. The issue came with my anchored data. I had anchored the My Documents folder under my username ("Normal"). When I went to My Documents in the new install, it was empty. I looked at the Documents and Settings and saw that there was now a folder for "Normal" and one for "Normal.CT" (CT is the computer name). My user in the new install had no permissions to access "Normal". The permissions for Normal listed an SID for having access rather than a username.

Also, I seem to be having trouble with NOD and FDISR. I get errors when copying the active snapshot if AMON is not set to exclude the $ISR folder. The errors are Access Denied errors, and they are being triggered when ISR is attempting to copy some exe files (I know a couple of them are Office 2003 patches). If I exclude the folder, the copy works fine. I do have a "slower" computer, so maybe AMON just can't keep up with the copy process. My PC is a 866mhz PIII with 512mb ram.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

FDISR and NOD32 go together. I'm trialing NOD32 at this very moment with AMON, DMON, EMON and IMON enabled.
    Created just a new snapshot without problems and refreshed (copy/update) several snapshots and one archived snapshot on my external harddisk without any problems either.
    EDIT:
    After checking your signature, I see you have ProcessGuard, which is a known problem for FDISR.
    I suggest : disable or uninstall ProcessGuard and try again.

3. cthorpe

Ah, forgot to change my sig... I'm no longer using PG.

As for NOD, if AMON doesn't have the ISR folder excluded, I get errors. If I exclude it or turn off AMON, no errors. No other system changes, so it really looks like NOD is the culprit. Like I said above, however, it may be that my computer just can't keep up.

C

4. ErikAlbert

I don't have any exclusions in AMON and I checked it right after your post.
    Maybe other members know the problem, so wait and see ...

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

cthorpe, welcome to the club. Perhaps you can contact tech support about the NOD issue; I also have used NOD with FD for some time without any problems. My only problem, which really isn't a problem, is that NOD will scan EVERY Snapshot whenever you do an on-demand scan, not just the Snapshot that you are presently in, so the on-demand scan takes much longer. But I believe that is a NOD issue, not a FD issue. ENJOY! :cool:

Acadia

6. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Sounds familiar.
    To maintain anchored data for my documents, I created a new folder c:\anchor and moved the My Documents folder to c:\anchor\%username%\My Documents. You will notice that you don't have permission problems anymore.
    I also moved my desktop, my Favorites, address book and Outlook Express data.
    Plus, my downloaded files are all together in subfolders of c:\downloads and also anchored.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Cthorpe

Also want to welcome you to the club. I am not a NOD user, but whenever I do a copy with FDISR I disable KAV. Do so for two reasons. One to keep it from trying to scan with every file access, and secondly to keep KAV's self protection from messing stuff up.

Pete

8. cthorpe

I do on demand scans on a schedule late at night, so scanning the snapshots shouldn't be an issue. Besides, what if a snapshot was infected with something that NOD didn't catch before the snapshot was made. I'd want NOD to have a chance to find it before I switched over to that snapshot again. Which leads to this question: Can NOD clean an infection in a snapshot that isn't active?

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I asked that same question of Raxco tech support, and they said: YES.

Acadia

10. cthorpe

Ok, now it's official. I am truely one of the few, the proud, the FDISRers.... :D

I just ordered not one, but two copies of this little gem.

I want to apologize in advance for the flood of questions that will likely come.

C

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Ask away and again welcome to the club.:thumb:

12. ErikAlbert

Congrats cthorpe, you won't regret your money.

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.