All locations to restore image from cd's are grayed out

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bryankr, Aug 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bryankr

bryankr Registered Member

I am trying to restore an image from CD-R's ( I have done so in the past -no problem). This time when I get to the place where you are asked to select the partition or unallocated space where you want to restore image -- all options are grayed out. There is plenty of free space available. If I choose my source for my image to be the "secure zone " then this problem goes away and I can select a partition to restore that image. It is only when I have selected my cd's as my source image that I have this problem. The cd's have had the image varified and been used just fine before.

I have the same results booting from cd -- using f11 -- or from current windows operations.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bryankr,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 then please make a screen shots of each step you take while trying to restore the image.

If you are not familiar with making screen shots, please read the below step-by-step instructions.

- Get to the window which you want to make a screen shot of;
    - Hit the (Alt+)PrintScreen button on your keyboard;
    - Run Paint usually available in Start\Programs\Accessories or another graphics application;
    - Choose Paste command in Edit menu;
    - Save the result picture with JPEG format being preferable.

Please note that you can also use a digital camera to make a shots of the respective screens if it will be more convenient for you.

Send these screen shots to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. bryankr

I have done evrything that you suggested -- updated true image 8.0 to the new build, made new rescue cd, provided 8 screen shots of my steps. I emailed all of this to teck support. I then burned new cd's and new dvd images of my primary/active partition. The same thing happend on the cd's - when I get to the place where you select location for restore all of the options are still grayed out. On the dvd disc the proper option was available for restore, but when it asked for volume 2 of 2 it never progressed any further continually asking for the second disk. It seemed as if it could not read it. AFter returning to windows I placed the # 2 disk in the tray and it read the image file just fine. could there be a compatability issue with my dvd/cd burning software? I am using Sonic. I have tried saving image to my hardrive and then burning to dvd disk. I sometimes also get corupted file message. AGain, everytime I have tried to restore image from "secure zone"it works perfectly. I did find one way that works for putting image on cd and restoring from cd. I burned the image first to the hardrive in 8 650mb files. Then using windows xp built in burning program I burned each file to a cd-r. This prodedure allowed me to put the image from the cd's back to the partition I wished. No grayed out destination options - no corrupted files -- no get to the next disk only to be stuck as if the disk could not be read. I still wish to figure out how to use my third party dvd/cd software to burn strait to disk.

thanks again,

bryankr

bryankr

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
  4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bryankr,

As I have understood the problem appears only if you have burned your image directly to CDs\DVDs. In case image archive was written using a two-step method it can be restored without a problem. Is this correct?

One more thing is that you are unable to restore an image from DVD in any case. It just keeps asking for the volume 2 of the image archive. Please confirm or disclaim these statements.

How many DVDs does your image archive occupy?

Please also tell me on what disc volume 2 is actually located.

When exactly Acronis True Image 8.0 creates corrupt backups? Please describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

I would also recommend you to send all these information to support@acronis.com as a reply to the letter that you receive from our Support Team. It will be very important addition to the previously sent information.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. bryankr

Support,

Yes you are correct...the problem is only occuring when I burn DVD/CD directly. Your second question is a good one and I figured out yesterday that I was changing cd's when it asked for volume two when in fact volume two was on the cd I had in the tray. I now know to select "retry" and it moves perfectly to the next volume on the same cd. I have found that it works best for me to burn 2 GB file sizes and I put the fist two on dvd and the last one on another. So it takes two DVD discs. With this procedure it is working perfectly.

As far as the corupted files -- this occurs when i try to burn directly to cd/dVD. The steps are identical to what I sent support via email execpt when I get to the step where it asked for a destination to burn the image it is not grayed out and I am able to begin the burn. It is during this process that a corrupted file box appears. I do not now remember if it is right away or if it is when I change disks or what. I have done so many things it is hard to keep track.

I can say for certain though that I am now able to burn perfectly if I always use "two step" of burning directly to hard-drive and then directly to DVd/CD. I was having trouble even with this step at one time, but believe I was creating my own problems by not choosing the correct file size and not understanding that sense I placed the number of files on the DVD's that I may have to simply press "retry" to move to next file image. I still have the problem of the grayed out concern where I have cd's that I burned an image to directly that have worked in the past only to the last two times i tried to restore image from I get the "grayed out" options for destinaion of the imate. I have provided 8 step screen shots of this problem to email teci support.

I will send a copy of this reply to email teck support as well. Thank you for your follow up and help.

bryankr.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  6. bryankr

I have sent everything requested to email support. screen shots etc. I am still trying to resolve issue of burning to cd/dvd directly from program to cd. My main concern is that a set of cd's that have worked in the past quit working. This is the situation where I get the option to name a place where I want to place the image and all options are grayed out. If this is strickly an issue with my third party buring software, I can simply avoid that situation in the future. Just scary to have cd's that worked and then when you tried them again they did not. This is much worse than experiencing problems that you are aware of along the way. If I could get some assurance that this problem was related to what I mentioned above thatwould be fine. I have not heard any thing back from email teck support for several days.

your help is greatly appreciated. Again, I am happy as is burning to drive and then to dvd -- seems to have worked great. Just a little nervous about earlier failure of once used and ok cd's I have as a test restored from DVD on two occasions with total success. Image varified etc.

thanks again,

bryankr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.