All in one recovery DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by woodyuk, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodyuk

woodyuk Registered Member

Hi

I have been a user of Ghost for many years, but Ghost10 just not seem to the same product it once was.

All I want to do is take a total image of my system drive after a fresh install and build a recovery DVD. I understand True Image can do this. However it seems you need to put in the True Image boot CD and then put in the DVD containing the image, is there anyway to merge this into one simple DVD that I put in and restore ?

Thanks

2. Fargo

Fargo Registered Member

I'd like to do the exact same thing. Hopefully someone will tell us how.

3. mustang

mustang Developer

It looks like you can do this with a new feature in True Image build 3567. Open Tools\Options\Default Backup Options\Media Components. Put a check mark in the first box to "Place Acronis True Image (Full Version) on media. Also look under the Advanced Tab. You can select what components you want to include on the media.

I think this will do what you want. I haven't tried it myself. I simply do not allow any packet writing software on any of my computers.

mustang

4. woodyuk

why do you not ?

I will check that - thank you.

5. Fargo

Fargo Registered Member

Why not? Please explain if this should be of some concern.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If dear member "mustang" means with packet writing, using softwares like DirectCD (Roxio) and InCD (Nero), then I fully agree with him. This is an unreliable method of writing data on a CD.
    Besides that, I wouldn't use DVD/CD as a backup medium for my HARDDISK(S). Too risky and you can't fool around with backup, because that is your last hope to recover anything in the worst scenarios.
    I prefer to use an external harddisk, because they are never online and that makes them safe.

7. woodyuk

I totally agree for "data" that DVD is not a good format, external drive is a lot better.

What I use this for is install WindowsXP + Sp2 + hotfixes + drivers + basic apps (normally takes a few hours). I then create a image. Machine goes pop due to me thinking it a good idea to install some beta at 4am, I can just bang in the recovery DVD and get my machine back. My data is always on a second drive D: and backed up to external. my c: Raptor :) is JUST OS and APPS.

Thanks for peoples help.

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That's exactly what I'm planning to do on my new computer.
    1. One harddisk for my winXPproSP2 + MS Applications + Third Party Applications (C: )
    2. Another harddisk for my personal files. (D: )
    3. And an external harddisk for image backup.
    That is IMO the only way to do it right.

9. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

There's a whole thread on doing just this and I don't think it involves packet writing media ... I can't remember off the top of my head the actual url, so do a search for it.

Found it ... https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=48186

10. woodyuk

finally updated to latest version. found that option for putting the boot software on the backup, however cannot work out how to backup to DVD.

I selected my drive C: and when it asked where to save file I selected my e: (DVD-Burner) when I clicked next it gave a warning that I would not be able to restore this from boot meda. Do I have to save the image to a harddisk first and then copy to DVD manually? (I hope not). Also I found the span option (used I guess if you want to create 4gb image segments on your hard drive), however if burning direct to DVD will it span the image to multiple DVD? (assuming u can)

update: ok will have a read of that thread

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello woodyuk,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that none of the currently available Acronis True Image versions write to DVD directly, instead they utilize third party UDF packet DVD writing software. The ability to write images to DVD directly will certainly be implemented in the future Acronis True Image builds\versions, but exact time frame is not decided yet.

You can find more information on how to write images to DVD in this FAQ article.

In case all of your DVDs are properly formatted according to the above mentioned FAQ article and the appropriate UDF packet DVD writing software is running in the "background" but you still can not write images to DVD, please collect the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image 9.0 log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon;

- Have you received any error messages? What exact error messages? When exactly have you received them?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the information about your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, etc.) and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Please make sure that you format your DVDs using UDF version 2.1 or lower as the higher UDF versions (e.g. 2.5, 2.6, etc.) are not supported in Linux based Acronis Rescue Environment yet, i.e. when using Acronis Startup Recovery Manager or Bootable Rescue CD. In case of using UDF version higher than 2.1 images placed on DVD most likely will not be "visible" for Acronis True Image when you will boot your computer from Bootable Rescue CD or use Acronis Startup Recovery Manager.

If that's not the case and you use UDF version 2.1 or lower then just ignore the warning message. After you burn images to DVD, boot your computer from Bootable Rescue CD to make sure that the images placed on DVD(s) are recognized correctly in Acronis Rescue Environment. Let us know if there are any problems with restoring images from DVD(s). We will certainly provide you with the further instructions.

Yes, if the image fits on several DVDs then Acronis True Image will split it into several parts automatically. The program will ask for the next DVD when the first disc is full and so on.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

12. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Mustang,

I'm afraid we can only add the Media Components to an image if backing up to CDs, Zip Drives or removable Flash Drives. See the Acronis Support reply in this <previous thread>.

So, for the moment, I guess Woodyuk is stuck with using one of the procedures detailed at Post #1, Post #26 or Post #171 (with split sizes amended as per Post #256 to take into account Build 3567) in the thread titled <How to create bootable DVD(s)> ;).

Best regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.