all-in 1 antiviurs updater

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bob_man_uk, Feb 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob_man_uk

bob_man_uk Registered Member

maybe its just wishful thinking but is it possible to have 1 piece of software and have it controll the likes of ETrust, Mcafee, Sophos, etc and if there is...

What is it?

thanks in advance

matty G

aka BOBmanUK

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I don't know why you'd want it if your a private user... Our Sybari Antigen corporate mailscanner acts this way :)

3. bob_man_uk

im not a personal user im a coporate user and am on the lookout for bigger and better things, also an easy life so something like that would be useful

4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Okay, get Sybari Antigen. It's got lots of engines running (we have it run AV 5 engines). Probably the best Exchange and Notes mailscanner.

5. bob_man_uk

i already have a mailscanner and Im quite content with mcafee groupshield, what Im looking for is a piece of software to run on the server to check desktop scanners (our company uses laptops which users have their own personal AV's) including Sophos, f-prot, mcafee, Norton AV, all these need updating and the company wont pay for multiple controll software, I need an all-in one centre for AV controll except mail!

6. meneer

meneer Registered Member

That would require some agent based, scripting tool. I have not yet seen a free or open source software product (I'll be checking some products later).
    Commercial tools are Tivoli, Openview and etrust.

Perhaps WMI scripting and central reporting is an option?

7. bob_man_uk

yes agents are my thing if you know what I mean, I already use epolicy orchestrator but find it rather bulky and not very efficent, I have seen TIVOLI arround before so il look at that, etrust only caters for etrust products, good scanner, bad settings, cheers for the help. if you find any please let me know,
    P.S. im not lookin for free stuff, demos will do for now

8. meneer

meneer Registered Member

We're using Tivoli and the inventory tool seems to be able to do the trick. You can, for instance, use the agent to trigger hfnetcheck to check for missing patches. You can use it to track registry settings, so checking virus definition dates must be rather trivial, once you know where to check ;)

9. bob_man_uk

you know honestly i think i may have lost you Im lookin for something similar to Epolicy orchestrator, not to audit etc, but to push av updates, policys etc, i know sice checking out tivoli is not what im lokin for, maybe what im after doesnt exist, thanks anyway

10. bob_man_uk

you will also have to forgive my spelling inm a fast typer but sometimes hit the odd key and forget to change the mistake.

11. You could use http://www.unisyn.com/automate/ ...

12. gorgale

gorgale Guest

you can check opswat vpnguard ( www.opswat.com )
    vpnguard is a stand alone service which does that ot check www.antiviurssdk.com for fine graniality antivirus integration developent

13. bob_man_uk

FINALLY, this is exactly what im looking for, im testing them now, thanks a bunch gorgal.

PS. you may want to check the last link or maybe not. (it doesnt work properly)

14. bob_man_uk

unfortunately after checking them out they arent exactly what im looking for, the antivirus SDK seemed promising but unfortunately I was unaware what SDK was, and i am not the program writing type of person. as for automate, id rather steer clear of that one all together, after looking closely at it, its going to be rather hard for me to keep up to date.

if the antivirus SDK has an actual program instead of an SDK please let me know as this seems a verry promising candidate.

15. gorgale

gorgale Registered Member

Well- U should check it out again - i think that this OPSWAT company fixed lots of things there I just got an email from them saying that they are going to support localizaed versions for all antiviurs companies

16. bob_man_uk

have done still doesnt work plus it the NEW updated one, im starting to go off this product

17. gorgale

I do not know - I was testing their vpnguard application it detected 23 out of 24 different antiviurses installed on my contracotrs machines -
    I reported them a bug ( Norton antiviurs french edition ) which was fixed in 2 days so I bought it and I am happy

18. bob_man_uk

ok, ok I agree this porduct is cool it makes sure machines are up to date patch wise but what about virus definitions, i know for a fact this wont work

19. gorgale

the VPNGuard has set of virus def update rules,if your antiviurs is out of date vpnguard will fource your antiviurs applicaiton to download the update from the antiviurs vendor - it was working for the antiviurs I was checking

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.