All images corrupt after burning to dvdr

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dasb, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dasb

dasb Guest

ok, i backed up my hd before reinstall.
    came to 4 dvdrs. I checkes all of them, and they reprted ok.

and i could browse them from the external hd. After i burned them on dvd with nero express. (as data disk .-smae when burning every other file i backup)

but acronis reports every single dvdr as corrupt. The error is not my burner in the laptop,-because every other burn is 100%. Its not the dvdrs because they are high brand and burn check is 100%

stupid me i deleted the images from the ext hd, i checked images 2 months back.-they are also reported as corrupt. 3 months back..corrupt. 6 months back..ok

i transferred the 4 images back to hd.. but they still are corrupt.

so now my backup before reinstall\zeroing the hd is useless.

big thanks acronis.

so,-i check the image its ok, i check it on dvd its ok, then after a little while it gets corrupted.

this software should come with a big warning.

glad im also using nero backitup

now i have 1 image on the ext hd, from the clean install. i can explore it. but i dont dare safekeep it on the dvdr.

dell8600 laptop
    winxp sp2
    acronis 8 (791)

2. dasb

dasb Guest

i just burned 1 image from the ext hd to dvdr..

guess what.. reported as corrupted. but it works fine from ext hd.

whats the deal?

3. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

4. dasb

dasb Guest

well, i tried something

extraxted all images 16G, to a folder on ext hd. and now it works.

but some images i can read off dvd, others not.

well- the problem is when u boot from safedisc..

so whats the point on storing on dvd,- when you have to extract the images to a hd to use it?

guess ill have to give norton ghost 9 a try.. using 1 hour or so just to extract from dvd is not good.

5. MiniMax

I guess the point is exactly the same, as the point of posting here and asking for help, and then refusing to follow the advice and requests given by me.

6. dasb

dasb Guest

i tried the checksum, and thats fine. nothing wrong with the file on dvd.

tried the latest update, and same thing.

solution: extract all images to hd in a folder, then i can browse them.

I think thats not very user friendly.

But i did an image restore the other day with acronis, from image stored on other partition.

image was in 2 parts, i selected image 1 and it seemed ok. it didnt ask me for image number 2. so i think i did it right?

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Since Acronis makes good images to the external hard drive, the problem is not with Acronis.

When you burn the image to DVDs, the images are often corrupt. So, the problem is with the burning process. Set your burning speed in Nero to a lower speed. This often cures the problem. For example if you have been burning at 16x try 4x, if you have been burning at 8x try 2x. If the slower images are good, you know the problem was with the speed of burning. You can stay with the slower speed or try an intermediate speed.

8. MiniMax

So, the checksums are identical, yet you can not restore from the image(s) on the DVD(s) ??
    Browsing and restoring is different. Restoring should work fine even when the image spans several DVD's, but browsing does not. It is even in the FAQ:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#12
    Yes, True Image knows how to find the first sub-image.

9. dasb

dasb Guest

ill try burning at lower speed, using stomp

anyways..restoring worked. checked and its okay.

and i was spared another full reinstall in 1 week. reinstall takes 4-5 hours. acronis 16 minutes + maybe 30 min finding files etc from previous backups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.