All AV's should be offered free!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Franklin, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

That is a very good point Blue; if your system is totally screwed, you likely would have to boot in safe mode and run a stand alone antivirus to get anything resolved. Online scanner's would do jack for you in that situation. But like I said, for a piece of mind backup, I use them a lot! I use Antivir classic free for my main A/V though.

2. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

Gee. Why stop at free antivirus scanners? How about free gasoline with every automobile purchased or free alcoholic beverages drinks with every meal served or a few more freebies which are censored or withheld?

12fw

3. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

Surprising comments from someone from Canada! Just kiddin.

Lets not go to extremes now to make a point. But I do agree that beer should be free. :D

There already is a plethora of free security products of every kind available, and there's always offers for the "real" paid versions for free if you look around. It's all about being a smart consumer.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

as i said more companys should make products like dr web cureit a simple on demand scanner with lastest defs only a few mb in total and then boot in to safe mode and run it.
    lodore

5. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

Drew99T

LOL Even if beer was free in Canada, it would still be overtaxed.

There are free av's for users- even the pared down versions are okay. For most folks.

If a user does know a few things and understands the whats and how and whys of security, it is not hard to make a nice security suite for free.

Online av scanner are great, even if they do represent advertising.

6. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

From a technology point of view Rolex watches are "old hat" but I doubt many people would expect those to be given away!

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Even though you're right not to expect them to be free, stop comparing to physical goods. They are NOT the same, nor comparable.

Software is code, a rolex is made of gold, physical and by nature scarce.

8. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

It was just used as an analogy,I can't believe you take things so literally!
    That "software code" is still someones work,just as the Rolex is the watchmakers,and unless they offer their work(software)free we have no right to expect them to:-besides we never actually own software codes(according to MS)
    Put another way the intrinsic value of most things(including Rolexes)are nowhere near what is charged:-you pay for peoples time,profit and knowhow amongst other things
    PS Gold isn't that scarce:-the industry limits supply to keep the price up:- same with most so called precious materials

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I know how you meant it, but the analogy fails.

I did say you're right not to expect it to be free, it is as you say the result of somebody's labour. Absolutely correct there. Their business model will dictate how the program is "offered" to you.

Rolex has not only the maker's labour, but the miners, whoever exports it, who imports it (the same nowadays). That's just what i'm pointing out.
    I know you know (you have to), but it's not to be compared.

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

all avs should not be offered free, im still surprised there are some companys offering a free av, all though be it... not with all the features.

i think if you want security, you should have to pay for it, simple as.

some avs are cheaper than others, so people can definatly afford them, and it all goes to make a better product etc, so its obviously worth the payment.

£18 / 26 euro for 2 years of dr.web with migration, is it really something people cant afford? £9 / 13 euro for a year,

people give more money to sponser a pet, or to give away to other nations, its less than the cheapest monthly phone tarrif and you get 2 years.

i could keep going on, but i wont :D

11. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

A bit o/t but I paid for a o/s and they can't secure it.Sad but true,lol.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yup same story with vista really all it takes is two clicks rather than one to excute the malware most people wont read the windows new alerts and just click and and thats it!
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.