Alexa spy found

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by snowman, Apr 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowman

snowman Guest

I've just installed and ran the latest version of ad-aware an it un-covered alexa in internet explorer.....alexa comes bundled with IE....

can anyone please advise me if deleting alexa in IE will disable IE..?      I embrassing admit that I don't know how to make a back-up .....have never needed to prior to this.

all advice much appreciated.....thank you.

2. monarols

monarols Registered Member

Removing the Alexa key will not impair the performance of IE, but the key will very likely reappear if you do a reboot. If you have the time, download a couple more free programs SSD www.spybot.com and Whos watching me www.trapware.com (generous trial period) and run them also.You may be surprised to find out what they pick up. I have all 3 and run them weekly :)

3. snowman

snowman Guest

Monarols

I am most grateful for your reply.......this alexa thing rather upset me......I've always known it was there...but now its staring me in the face.....

I briefly installed spybot......but was able to get a good understanding of how it works.......so many files showed that I would have lost half my os......this isn't a bug with the spybot program....I have tons of MS features/programs un-installed but abled to be re-installed when I decide.............this causes me something of a problem when editing the registry....but I am use to it.......but with spybot....not so......so I used caution......an didn't used spybot.

will take a look at the other program you mention...thanks.

so alexa will just re=appear huh.....in that case it would be a waste of time deleting in......the complete file name shows.....wonder if deleting the file would prevent it from re-installing ?

4. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Snowman, that alexa key in itself is harmless.  Just repairing IE would reinstall it anyway.  It is of no consequence unless you downloaded Alexa itself which i know you won't ! :)

5. snowman

snowman Guest

MICKEY THE MAN !!!

hey old buddy...long time.....hope all is going great with you.......

Mickey I just could not control myself...that snake alexa staring at me was just more than I would tolarate......I tryed and tryed to make a back up without any success.....so said the heck with this.....an just deleted alexa............just now re-connected....so far IE is working ok......had did a re-boot......an so far the alexa key...file..etc has not re-installed itself.......but yes I agree with you that sooner or later  IT WILLLLLL BEEEE BACKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!

if I re-call.....its that "custom" feature in IE.......do you think??

but for this brief moment in time I am enjoying great satisfaction from kicking that slimmy spy in it's....somewhere over the rainbow..........

oh Mickey ever hear of <mohawk.ca>

by the way Mickey.....would you care to guess if I may experience problems with IE because of deletin alexa.............netscape (un-installed) is on my computer if I need a back-up....then I can either re-install IE or another browser.......whatca think

darn.....<mohawk> is pounding on my back door....re-booted but its finding me even though my address is changed...........thats why I asked

6. Marsman

Marsman Registered Member

Snowman,

Where have you been hiding out these days?  o_O

Regarding (MS)Alexa, I’ve deleted this several times & I’ve never had any IE 6.0.2600 issues.   Yes, like others out there I can confirm it seems to reappear.  I’ve never repaired IE but I read somewhere in another thread that Windows Update has a hand in reinstalling it.  Since I do frequent Win update hence the MS related Alexa reinstall.  I also noticed in Ad-aware 5.71 Referencefile 103-07.04.2002 that Alexa, Typelib & Lop were automatically placed in my Ignorelist.    

I also would recommend checking out Spybot – S&D again when you have some time on your hands.  Big improvements with each beta update release, latest version is 0.95B8.

Best regards,
    Mars Man  :cool:

7. snowman

snowman Guest

Mars Man........GREAT TO SEE YA!!    

its been a good day for seeing old friends showing up here.......have missed many of you.......but such is the way it is... for reasons I best not touch on.

hey, thanks for the reply.....yup I expect alexa to eventually return....but so far after three re-boots it hasn't.

these days I stay completely away from windows update.......got burnt the last time I used it an had to re-format to get the trash off........got rid of all M$ service pacs.....an have since only installed absolutely critical updates......I am not fully patched....what patches I can obtain at the M$ library I will install......but will stay away from windows update if at all possible..... no, I definitely would not suggest that anyone else live this dangerously   LOL........

sure hope to see you here again real soon.....my very best regards....

8. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Snowman,

You can read more about the back-up feature here:

AdAware > Help > Content > Introduction > Getting started

If you have more questions about how to make a back-up, please ask!

9. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

snowman is about to become snowflake pretty soon | ;)

In answer to your question, you can operate IE safely (and i use the term loosely...hehehe ) with or without that key which only gets invoked in the presence of the alexa program !
    But as i mentioned, update/repair IE and that key will reappear !

Enjoy the next few days while you still can my melting friend , soon to become waterman! :D

10. snowman

snowman Guest

Mickey

LOL.......snowflake!!  LOL......could by chance you be referring to the un-patched broswer.....an if so I must and do agree........

patches should be applied....its good practice and good  sense.............the last of which I have very little of......I would be the first person to encourage a person to apply patches at the earliest time.

my case and my reasons for not applieing all available patches would not fit the average user...

unfortunately I had a bad experience after applieing a patch........an major os problems..... this was a rare incident....an may never happen again

ok Mickey....I've now payed for all my sins  LOL
    an I betcha that you knew very well that I would.

seeya ..an have a good one

11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Thought I'd toss in my little "Alexa" experience though it may be more or less inconsequential. I removed the Alexa key with Ad-Aware long ago and it never came back with re-boots or anything like that, but the other day I installed MSN messenger and thought maybe I should run Ad-Aware afterwards. Ta-da.. there was Alexa again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.