Alert when download an update...

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by rdsu, Aug 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Hi,

It's possible to implement an option to alert the user when the update have success or failed to check or failed to download? Like the avast!...

I think this will be a very useful feature to the users are informed about the updates...

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 7, 2004
  2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Good idea VaMPIRIC_CROW

Cheers :D

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Guys, don't you get a message saying that "NOD32 has been updated to version 1.xxx" after an update has completed?

4. Blackspear

Update yes, failed to update no...

Cheers :D

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yep...

Marcos, you know that I've problems with the updates related in this Topic "Downloaded file is damaged...", so this will be a very handy feature...

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Something like this will implemented?

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

8. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

This feature is already available in the NOD32 System Setup/Notification tabs-Send other warnings to: This uses SMTP and works very well for me.

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I'm refering to have a dialog window like we have when NOD32 made an update...

10. john smith

john smith Registered Member

I'm unclear on this function. I recently mentioned that I went 5 days with NOD failing to connect to the update server because my subscription (and
    thus my username and password) had expired. I had carelessly forgotten
    the single alert earlier that my subscription was nearly up. Not once did NOD alert me that my connection attempts were failing.

I know that Blackspear mentioned that it was advisable to check regularly to be sure that we were getting updates, but an alert would be nice.

Would the "notification" option, if configured, have e-mailed me and told me about the failure to connect to ESET's server after ESET no longer recognized my subscription as valid?

John S.

11. rumpstah

Yes it would.

12. john smith

john smith Registered Member

As to whether the notification function would inform me if my subscription had expired:

Thanks, rumpstah. I just set up the configuration and successfully received a test message (even though it came from myself :) ).

John

13. rumpstah

If your subscription has expired (not the exact message you will receive) can be tested by removing your username/password from the Control Center and trying to do an update with the Notifications enabled. I believe it gives an invalid username/password.

14. Blackspear

Very nice Rumpstah, we'll keep you around, you are safe from being voted off for another night... ;)

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

15. sagittarius

sagittarius Registered Member

As a reseller, I use this setting to send warnings to myself .. which is how I knew about all the failed updates last month. That way, if I receive more than one of these, I can contact the user & help them resolve the problem.

So, a warning that immediately alerts the user of a failed update would be a useful feature. In fact, if it could prompt the user on start up of their computer, that their last update failed, that would be even better.

In my experience, it is often not the owner, but one of their children who checks the email and doesn't pass the information on to their parents - another reason why I like to configure the warnings to come to me personally. ;)

16. rumpstah

Well, umm... :p :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.