Alert! Rollback RX pro - Be careful when activating...

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Rollback rx pro us, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollback rx pro us

Rollback rx pro us Registered Member

I just want to share my experience with rbrx pro. I just bought this software after reading a nice review. The software is really good, atleast the couple of day I have used it, BUT the problem is this....

It seems u can only activate it once in meaning its locked to the computer u activate it on. I wanted to try the restore function on an old P-3 printerserver I had and then install it on my main computer. But guess what..its not possible. Been emailing support (Sam Sawal) and the replies I get indicates I have to buy additional licenses :( Support offer quick reply and etc, but they could be more helping. This is maybe more a issue of how they chose to license their software.

Anyway, Im a student stuck with rollback rx pro on a computer I dont want to use it on. My last concern is what happens when I upgrade to new PC system or reforamt? It seems like I have to buy another license :(....

SO my advice is.....BE really carefull and think it through when u plan to buy rbrx pro. Its a really nice software, but it has some negative issues regaridng activation and future use....

If any1 can help me in this situastion I would be happy...
    (email: iamtoohottobe[AT]hotmail[DOT]com)

Thanks all :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2006
  2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Oh dear. I have just bought a new motherboard and CPU and was about to reinstall Rollback to see if Rollback was more reliable on a clean system... hopefully mobo and cpu isnt too much of a change. FDISR had no problems with the new parts anyway..

3. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I gave had RB since feb and have activated twice without problem on the third activation RB said the lic activations had been exceeded.

I just contacted support and they reset the lic activation counter - activation all working again.

The number of activations allowed does not appear to support the upgrades between builds as a matter of course - thta's how I used up 3 other a 3 month period (new build + test build)

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Does that mean, I can re-install and activate RB only a few times on the SAME computer?

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No. You can update and activate on the same computer as many times as you want. As to updatijng hardware, I would be an email or call to them should solve the problem.

As to rollback rx pro us's issue only makes sense. Unless they've added some new functionality in the lastest version, there would be no restore from one computer to another to test. So the license is for one computer, it only makes sense it only runs on one computer. Nothing new here.

6. ErikAlbert

Thanks Peter, NICE to know, because I often re-install softwares until I'm settled, but always on the SAME computer. So I guess I won't have a problem with RB then.

7. Rollback rx pro us

Rollback rx pro us Registered Member

First of all..Wow! I posted this post earlier today and already people have replied. Thanx all:)

However I still think Horizon data could find a solution to the one computer problem. I dont plan to pirate copy or something. Its not that which is the problem.

I just dont what to think about the day my harddrive crash with technical error and I have to get new one. Then I have to buy new rbrc license :( I could try to contact support to, and maybe they will reset the www activation. I think that once u have bought a license u should be free to use it as many times u want, altough on same PC...but again when does "same PC" mean "same PC"....being philosofical here :p....is it safe to get new HDD, RAM, CD-ROM etc...

(pardon my 2nd dary english, probably many mistakes)

8. ErikAlbert

I fully agree with you. Once you bought the software, there shouldn't be an installation or activation limit, no matter what old or new hardware, you use.
    I would contact the support and explain your problem, after all you paid for it.

9. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

If you receive a message like what you licence activation had been exceeded you simply have to communicate with HDS (indicating the ID number of your product) and they will reset your activation code very quickly...

For exemple, if you want to install the new version 7.2.12, you will have to uninstall the previous version 7.2.1 and than install the new version 7.2.12. The only thing is that you will receive a message when trying to activated your software that the number of activation have been exceeded and you will have 30 days trial wich give you enough time to communicate with HDS so they can reset your activation code and that, without any problem...

Best regards,
    Atomas31

10. starfish_001

This is not my experience - I updated one computer just upgraded through the builds 3 times and then .. it stopped activating until support intervened

No hardware was changed

11. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Ditto... Having uninstalled v7.2.1 due to a major system problem which I believe was brought about by RBx, I just installed v7.2.12 and can't activate it. I have contacted HDS support to that effect.

I'm curious if that would be the case if one simply updated v7.2.1 with the new build by installing it OVER the older build?

12. Peter2150

I intially had that problem, but then support said that should be the case, and fixed it and there after no problem.

13. Atomas31

Hi Pvsurfer,

I have tried to install version 7.2.12 over version 7.2.1 but I couldn't. I was receiving a message to uninstall the version on my system (7.2.1) before installing version 7.2.12... And like everybody else, when the new version was install (7.2.12), I had to contact the HDS support to reactivate my license.

Best regards,
    Atomas31

14. starfish_001

I've just tried to update my other machine this has only ever been installed once and then activated using my second license.

This time I get an error saying that its an invalid product key. off to contact support again. THis is going to cause probems as my dad is not very good with computers and I'm leaving soon.

This is stupido_O

15. ErikAlbert

I FULLY agree with you. I'm already afraid of installing RB. Pffft. I have already problems enough. Even winXPproSP2 is bugging me with its activation, because I don't want to go on-line with this system partition version.

16. Peter2150

Arg, sounds like the latest version has really "fixed" stuff. I am now a spectator. I too fully agree, this activation stuff is a pain. Worse was Safe'n'sec's. They only gave a key good for 5 installs, so if you uninstalled and installed a lot, you had to keep going back to them. They always gave a new key, but still.

Erik, can't you activate windows by phone. Oops I forgot where you live.

17. starfish_001

Yes the release notes are impressive

Other important notes on the new build.
    1. Fixed the Win98 and Tweak UI issue reported by some clients.
    2. Fixed the registration ID changes on STAT drives issue. (So we won't need to reset the registration records when users reinstall Rollback)
    3. Fixed a update baseline/uninstall to current snapshot issue. If the drive does not have enough contagious space to Rollback to create the new baseline table index, the operation might fail.
    4. Fixed a possible NT blue screen issue reported by some users that when using backup software - The system sometimes has a blue screen. Updated the Kernel driver for fault tolerance.
    5. Optimized shdserv for better resource consumption.
    6. Added a setup detects new version feature.
    7. Enabled "Ghost" from subsystems. To Ghost a snapshot from the subsystem users can:
    a). Press HOME key to enter subsystem.
    b). select Advanced options/Program settings and type "ghost=1".
    c). select Advanced options/Boot from floppy to go to DOS.
    d). run Ghost from the DOS to create a backup image for the current snapshot.
    8. And some other minor issues, bugs reported by customers.​

My BSOD problem has been fixed... But True image will not work with Rollback and my SATA drives. Andrew Shen (HDS DEveloper) is still looking into my specific problem.

As for activation - I'm not sure it is even the server that rejects the code - it might be the local exe saying that I have an invalid product key. At the moment support have reset the server end but same error continues.

Activation should not be a cause of compliant. At this point I'm considering swaping out Rollback for First Defense. I already use it on my main machine - Rollback is just a bit easy for other users - dad. Only my media server is multi boot so I would just need one extra copy of FD.

As for SNS - during the beta testing I didn't really suffer from this. At the moment I have stopped using SNS on my machines. I'v found PrevxR very good and slightly less troublesome in terms of clashes.

18. Peter2150

I think that is the cumulative fixes, not just the latest version. I haven't tested the new version, as it still leaves the backup problem in question, whereas for me FDISR became part of the solution, and makes that problem go away.

I would be curious, but really don't feel like taking the time to test it, if Rollback is more resilitent to crashes. I had to power reset a hung system 5 times with a recent KAV beta install, and after getting this working I ran chkdsk, with no errors found. With Rollback, it might make thru the first, but then chkdsk would run and the errors were scary as all get out. Everything always got fixed, but the time that took, sure ate up any time advantage. Plus you wonder if one of those times...... I am just not sure this program is up to the rigor's of beta testing programs that can potentially be unstable.

Pete

19. starfish_001

Yep basically bug fixes and better sync. The lack snapshot archiving is a big issue for me as I can't image with TI on these systems.

20. ErikAlbert

I don't like softwares, that require an internet connection during its installation. I have mentioned this often at Wilders in several posts.
    I prefer to install my softwares OFF-LINE to avoid any possible infection.

Until now, I had no problems with Windows, but winXPproSP2 requires an internet connection for the activation, because it would be very expensive for me to do this by phone.

I wonder what happens when I don't activate winXPproSP2 after 30 days ?

A2 requires an internet connection.
    MS AntiSpyware required an internet connection and MS Defender probably too.
    Don't these companies know that internet isn't safe.

21. Atomas31

Hi Pete,

I am not sure I am following you, in this thread you say you don't want to try a version of Rollback that could solved your issue and not willing to take some time when in another threat you say: "Let me also tell you that with Raxco and Leapfrog they will work to hunt down a problem if one exists, but they can't do it without user cooperation. You can't fix something if you don't see the problem. When I encountered a bug in FDISR, it took them over a month to find it, and they did, but they couldn't have done without my help. No one else has encountered the problem."
    Doesn't that apply to HDS? Doesn't a new comer need some cooperation of the users so has time to find and resolve bugs and improve there softwares. In revenge, I have to agree with you that right now, FDISR seems a more complete suite than what Rollback RX is right now...

I also think that we shouldn't have to contact support to get our key being reactivated...

Best regards,
    Atomas31

22. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

As I reported in #11 above, I also had difficulties trying to install Rollback Rx Pro v7.2.12. The new build wouldn't install because of a 'less than clean' uninstall of v7.2.1. Rollback's uninstaller is poorly written, in that it doesn't even remove all of its folders and programs (not to mention registry entries)! HDS provided a cleanup program (rollbackclean.exe) which did solved that problem, but then I ran into the activation problem - which HDS remedied after notifying them (as mentiioned in my previous post).

Having installed v7.2.12 and living with it for only 4-days, I've just experienced another 'dirty disk' problem upon restarting my PC (one of the two problems I previously had with v7.2.1)! Fortunately, I was able to recover to yesteday's snapshot without difficulty, but I am convinced there is still a conflict between Rollback and some other (unidentified) active program on my system. Consequently, I have (again) uninstalled Rollback.

Rollback Rx Pro is a diamond in the rough (but it's very rough around the edges). Based on my experiences todate with Rollback Rx Pro, HDS' product development and QA (it's doubtful to me if that even exists!) needs quite a bit of improvement. :doubt:

23. starfish_001

Indeed when I uninstalled it left one of the services active had to unistall again to get rid of it before the reinstalll

24. Peter2150

In a way you have me.:D , but I am afraid there are several issues. A key one is time. To work with Rollback I have to uninstall FDISR, which right now I don't want to do. Also that leaves me without protection, and a backup problem. Right now the risk reward for me is just to poor. I am all for helping solve problems with a software developer, but I also have to have a good reason for wanting to spend the time. Right now I don't. I also note, that since the email telling me a new version was available(it wasn't for almost 5 days), they haven't contacted me to see how it went. That means I would have to chase them to follow up. If they really want the help, I'd expect them to follow up with me. Since they didn't......

Pete

25. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I have only had such a restriction once before on a software product. I had to call in one time and they asked me why I installed it so many (3) times. I answered, and got the key reset, but had I known of the restriction I would not have bought the software.

What happens to you guys if this company goes belly up in six months. Well, count down until you have a worthless product that you paid good money for. Maybe, and I repeat maybe, their product is good, but there are plenty of other products out there. I will choose one of them should I need that type of software.

If it is with the required time frame and you used a credit card, report to your card that the product didn't work and support refused to help and then demand your money back

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.