Alarm System kills DSL connection!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mercurie, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Someone in my area got an Home Alarm System and they lost their DSL connection. Verizon DSL Self Help indicated that to be the problem after about a half dozen questions. A call to tech support confirmed it.

The Alarm System came with a DSL filter and it was hooked up according to my friend, also his sister was on the internet right before the connection died during install. My friend said he asked does she need to get off the internet. She has already been bumped off but she can get back on anytime. The family learned about the alarm system and the techs went on their merry way. Later that night...:blink: no connection :mad:

The Alarm tech said it would come back after reboot and router disconnect. It did not. The DSL router light is blinking but there is almost 0% network activity in task manager.

Alarm System Tech said the issue can be fixed. Verizon Telephone Tech says it can too, says Verizon DSL is compatable with all Alarm Systems. The single cordless telephone works fine.

What happened? Can this be fixed? Can they share the same line? o_O

2. retread

retread Registered Member

What I did under the same circumstances, was install a low-pass filter in my NID (the box outside the house where the telephone line comes in). Then I ran a dedicated twisted pair to my modem (this is called a "home run"). By doing so, I did an end-run around my alarm box, and never had a problem since. This also did away with all those dongles (low-pass filters) that were supposed to be attached to every phone in the house.

This is essentially what the "professional" dsl installation does for you at a price (~$200!!) This can be done by yourself if you are technically inclined. You must be able to obtain the NID low-pass filter, however. I got one from my friendly telephone company repairman. If you are unable to obtain one that meets the telephone company specs, you will have to pay them for the installation.

3. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I told my friend to call me so I could see what the tech did. The tech fixed it and asked my friend to check his connection. It was working. So no one knows what he did exactly. He was asked and it was technical.

All I got out of it was that the tech said the issue was "line seizure". He did a few "loop to dos". I got it taken care of. No homerun (no new line) was needed but he could have done some of the things retread said. Again I was not there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.