AIS Sandbox vs Sandboxie

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by whitedragon551, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Alright over the last day or two Im under the impression Avast IS Sandbox is no where near functional yet.

On an x64 system there are issues with flash being able to display on webpages if your browser is sandboxed. It happens in IE, IEx64, and FF. This is my main gripe. With flash being as prominent is it is in the online world there is no reason for AIS to not function properly with flash. IMHO its simply unacceptable.

It can auto delete contents, but that requires you to dig into expert settings and unchecking a box.

My last gripe with AIS sandbox is that it is always on. If you want to turn it off you have to delete a program from the list of virtualized processes, update, and then read it to the list.

Discuss.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. Boost

Boost Registered Member

No comparison between the two IMO.

Sandboxie is a proven sandbox,period. Avast's "sandbox" has a loooong ways to go before it's even comparable to Sandboxie.

3. whitedragon551

Any reasons you have come to this conclusion?

4. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Sandboxie is more configurable, which is a big plus.

a!'s sandbox still needs to prove itself against malware samples. Being bypassed by TDL3 for ex. is an ongoing issue. Although it can be backed up by other AIS components there's no real reason not to adress these kinds of issues.

5. Halffull

Halffull Registered Member

Sandboxie has higher compatibility rating, which makes it a superior product.

6. Boost

Boost Registered Member

If you knew how powerful sandboxie was,you wouldnt be asking this question.

7. whitedragon551

It has nothing to do with that. I switched from Sandboxie and Spyshelter with LnS realtime with Avast free as a on demand scanner once a week to what I have now. Im versed with Sandboxie.

However just saying Sandboxie hands down doesnt make you look more knowledgeable unless you back up your claims.

8. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I played with GIGS of malware using Sandboxie and nothing got passed it.

Avasts sandbox is new and buggy,I wont even attempt to test it against all the viruses / malware I threw @ sandboxie.

You can believe what you want,do what you wish,the true fact is,at this point in time,Sandboxie is a proven sandbox,period,and I'll stand by my previous comment,there is NO comparison.

9. whitedragon551

Thats fine. I also think Sandboxie is better, but just saying so without any real world data or info to back it up isnt going to cut it.

10. Boost

Boost Registered Member

My data was a total of a gig of malware / viruses,etc,thats plenty for me.You wanna know data,collect it for yourself.

Dont expect everyone to do the work for YOU.Take it upon yourself once,and compare the data / information.

11. whitedragon551

Clearly a credible source. :rolleyes:

Im going to say AIS sandbox is better. I have personal data to back it up that its superior to Sandboxie.

Regardless what other major differences are there between the two that Avast should consider implementing?

12. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Contact tzuk and inform him how strong a newly developed like AIS is better then a product such as his, which has been around longer,been tried and trued many many times,I'm sure he'd glad take on your personal data.

13. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

"Im going to say AIS sandbox is better. I have personal data to back it up that its superior to Sandboxie."

Care to enlighten us?

14. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

You have left it to be always on. You can remove it from the list of permanent virtual process and whenever you want to run it virtual state, right click the icon and run it virtual.

Sandboxie comes with no default setting with nothing, no auto-delete nor to keep the contents. AIS comes default with keeping the contents and there is no digging to change this default setting. It is on the first menu of the settings.

Kind regards,

KOR!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  15. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'm hoping I'm not misunderstanding you, but considering I'm a long time user of Sandboxie, I'd like to provide the information that if the user does not define Sandboxie to delete a sandbox contents, then the contents will remain after the user closes the sandbox.

Either one of two things would happen: it would either automatically delete contents, which would be a bad thing, in case some users would like to keep the contents, or would keep the contents, which is the case, if the user leaves the options to delete contents as it is, when Sandboxie is installed.

So, unless I misunderstood you, Sandboxie does keep the contents in sandboxes, unless you define the sandbox settings to delete the contents, when closing the executed programs.
    If one does not do that, then one can right-click a sandbox, which is one of the ways of doing it... the others would be in the Menu or tray bar icon, to delete the contents.

:)

16. whitedragon551

To empty contents in AIS you have to dig through menu's to the process virtualization, and then into expert settings, and then to delete contents. It cant be done from the tray like it can with Sandboxie.

17. m00nbl00d

That actually is a great thing. Maybe not for you and for some of Wilders people, but it is good thing that it like that, because, by default it will sandbox those more dangerous applications... I believe that's what it does? I haven't yet played with AIS.

Unlike some other sandboxing applications, like Sandboxie, which the user needs to be exactly aware of what needs to be sandboxed and which would be the best options for each sandboxed programs.

I believe that, in the past, AIS sandbox wouldn't automatically add any programs. But, due to users suggestions, AVAST decided to do it. A great thing, IMO.

Sure, things like the Flash problem you're having are to be worked. But, as an example:

If I sandbox Chromium, and only allow chrome.exe to run in the sandbox, then no sound will be heard in Youtube, for example.
    Gmail also seems to be having problems with Flash plugin lately as well. I've added permissions to Flash plugin and will see if this solves the issue with Gmail.
    Or, if it is just a bug with Sandboxie report it.

You see, no one single application will ever leave users free of issues. A sad reality. :D

18. m00nbl00d

And, that's one of the things, among others, that make Sandboxie great of using, once you got every set up and running. :)

avast!'s sandbox is new and AVAST needs to have input from their user base about what they'd like this sandbox to work like and what features to provide.

Have you tried suggesting ways of simplifying the use of their sandbox? Who knows.

19. whitedragon551

No no no. You misunderstood. Avast sandbox doesnt auto sandbox. You have to configure programs to be sandboxed. If its a malicious item and it isnt set up via the Expert Settings to run sandboxed it wont. You can right click and run sandboxed.

20. m00nbl00d

OK... thanks for clarifying/correcting me. :)

21. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I've used both, in my opinion, what I'm seeing, I think the sandbox of Sandboxie is better, it allows many, many settings, but for an normal user, both do their job well, and we agree that it is easy to tamper with the avast! than in Sandboxie.

Sorry for my english.

22. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Turned off all realtime shields and ran a malware sample via Avast SB.

Didn't seem to leak but couldn't kill a few processes which couldn't be killed via Task Manager either.

XP VM wouldn't restart so used the reset switch then scanned with Avast and MBAM with both finding the original sample sitting on desktop and nothing else.

Avast sandbox IMHO is nowhere as good as Sandboxie but early days.

I will say Avast Pro is a decent AV overall but not my type of security app.

Process Avast.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.