ahhhhhhhhhh help me now please!!!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi

I have just had windows shut down and reboot cos of one of those windows major errors. then it rebooted and said windows had recovered from a seroius error. my av has just updated it self my av is f-secure but windows now reports it maybe outdated. but f-secure says its upto date and is on. i dont know what caused the major error. but i do have window blinds which i have updated yesterday and its a beta i think but im trying to to play the blame game here. it could of been anything. but its my only beta program so its most likely.

other members of my family have had major windows errrors recovered from recently. i dont know what is causeing them. could my hard drive be going ? and any free useful utilies I can use in windows to check?

any ideas?

Lodore

2. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Assuming you're on XP, I'd first try a "restore" to an earlier date.
    If successful, make sure your F-secure is up to date and do full system scan.

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Gee, from the title of the thread, I thought your PC blew up or something.

1) Ditch the Beta version of WindowBlinds and install a production version.
    2) Reassess.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hi im running an kaspersky online scan. but i do have spysweeper 5 the first version and havent updated i to the lastest build yet so this could cause seroius errors. i heard its causeing tons of bsods and other big major errors.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

how do i turn back to a release version of window blinds?

6. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Was also my first thought. Bumm :D
    NTARS (never touch a running system) and less with Beta software, unless you have backups and so on.

Install the release over the Beta, should do the job.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i didnt mean to install the bets version i just opened up stardock central and clicked on update i didnt relise it would give me a beta version.

8. crofttk

1) Uninstall the beta version from Control Panel/ Add or Remove Programs
    2) Download the latest production version at stardock.com
    3) Install what you downloaded

9. crofttk

Well, Tommy, I've seen some beta programs screw computers up pretty badly to where I would not install over top of one.

I use First Defense-ISR to create a separate OS snapshot and do my beta testing in those. Then, if things get fouled up, I just blow it away, and start iver with a new snapshot copied from an archived "virgin" WinXP snapshot.

10. crofttk

Did you have Stardock Central set to automatically archive older program versions before update installations ?

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

also with the title I am sorry about that. the thing is i panic since i got my pc provider which was carrera never gave me a windows cd. I do do backup's quite often

12. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

You are defnetly right. But he taskes the risk that he delets all his setting too. But in worst case this is better as a scrued up PC.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the thing is i didnt want it to install a beta version. and found out after it did it.

also i tryed spysweeper beta 3 and now ive got a "run dll as an app" error message at every log in. so after that i told my self to never use beta software on this pc again but stardock central only told me it was beta after it installed it.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

no tommy i didnt so does this mean im stuffed?

also i just clicked the archive button and got it to update back to version 73 which is the version that worked for me. so after a reboot i should be fine but i will report back if not.

15. crofttk

lodore, which question are you answering here or was it perhaps my last question.

My past experience with Stardock betas says you are probably not completely stuffed. Just don't do anything drastic right away if you can stand it that way.

16. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

You said
    and...
    hey, may I suggest unchecking 'automatically restart' on system failure in startup and recovery to find out - makes sense.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

sure you can surgest that. and i unticked the try beta versions or what ever it is called then updated now im on a real version as i call it. but my windows tell's me my av might be out fo date. but my av has updated and in the advanced section it says fully installed so i might just ignore windows warnings for now and check my av is up to date for a while. my av is f-secure. i have f-secure internet secuirty 2006. i have emailed f-secure tech support see if they can help me. but other than that my pc is back and running fine.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

why not to try system restore?

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

oddly it still displayed the warning from windows sayiong might not be updated earlier. but now its bak to normal and windows now says antivirus on and up to date.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

also i now think spysweeper 5 is causing the bsod's and major windows errors because people are complaining about it recently. and its not really normal to have 3 bsods in like 5 days. so i updated spysweeper today and i will monitor it to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.