Agnitum Tauscan & NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by chuckenheimer, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuckenheimer

chuckenheimer Registered Member

Running the Agnitum Outpost Firewall software, being satisfied and then receiving a 65% discount on their Tauscan trojan defense software, I bit.

Trying to use their Tauscan software together with NOD32, it seems there is no discernable conflict. However, once I loaded an IRC DCC protection script and tested it with the provided "test" file, it seems NOD32 beat this detection script to the punch, thus my question regarding the Tauscan software.

Being that NOD32 reacted first in the testing noted above, I was thinking this may be the case with the Agnitum Tauscan software, too. So, I was wondering if anyone here had any idea, input, opinion as to whether running Tauscan would be useful while running NOD32. Does NOD32 detect trojans?

Thanks.

2. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

Yes, running an anti-trojan is a good idea to supplement the already capable NOD32. I use BOclean realtime, ewido and TDS-3 on-demand every now and then. I have not used Tauscan, but being an Outpost user, I might give it a look if there's a 65% discount.

NOD32 can detect trojans as well.

Oh, and I have a feeling that if you were to disable NOD32's AMON, Tauscan would pick it up. The point of an AT isn't to give a simultaneous alert along with the AV, it's to catch whatever the AV might miss.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

3. chuckenheimer

First, thank you for such a detailed explanation. I didn't think the purchase was worthwhile until I saw what you had to say.

The discount came about because I purchased OP w/ lifetime upgrades. Agnitum sent me a survey and once completed the discount was provided.

4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I originally bought tauscan many years ago and have my key.However i would not recommend it or rely on it that much persoanlly and have taken it off my machine.The updates are few and far in between and the current detection as compared with the other main antitrojans such as boclean, tds3 ,trojanhunter, ewido, a2, and the cleaner isnt that good.
    ellison

5. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

Yeah, I haven't heard too much about Tauscan recently either, and the fact that they're practically giving it away doesn't bode too well for it. Still, it may do a fine job for a less than "high risk" user. NOD32's trojan detection, in my experience as a regular P2P user, has been much better than commonly described on these boards and elsewhere. So rest assured, you are quite secure with Tauscan and NOD32.

6. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Even though Tauscan is still being marketed like new, it is rather dated. I dont see anything Tauscan can offer that NOD32 cannot, but that is just my opinion. ASquared, Ewido, Trojan Remover, Trojan Hunter, and BOClean all seem to offer something that will benifit to NOD32. I would rather have NOD32's hueristics than Tauscan :p

Outpost is a great firewall though :D

7. chuckenheimer

I've got my eye on Trojan Hunter to replace Tauscan. I'm thinking the with NOD32, Outpost Pro and TH that I'll have about the best security in place for myself until I learn a bit more.

$10 for Tauscan is just about giving it away and I may be able to give it to my nephew or nieces for one of their boxes. It'll go to good use.

Thanks for chiming in y'all!

BTW, I just love these forums.

8. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

It's off topic, but I use the following security aplicattions:

- NOD32;
    - Look'n'Stop;
    - TDS-3;
    - Spy Sweeper in realtime mode;
    - On demand Ad-Aware, Spybot search & destroy...

9. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Hi chuckenheimer, you should have a look at the Windows Security features in Tiny Personal Firewall, System Safety Monitor, Process Guard, Browser Sentinel, Abtrusion Protection, or anything simular if you are interested in another layer of security.

I use pcInternetPatrol for checksuming applications and comparing them to online whitelist, NOD32 for AV/AT, Tiny's Windows Security for grouping applications in different security zones and privelages, and Outpost Pro for internet security.

I could use Tiny's Windows Security for the checksuming of applications instead of using pcInternetPatrol(even though there wouldnt be a comparison to an online whitelist) or even use pcInternetPatrol to let me choose what can or cannot access the internet instead of using Outpost Pro.

My point is that there are many different combinations you can use since most programs now-a-days allow you do disable or completely uninstall certain features. I wouldnt worry about an AT if you already have NOD32. The only real advantage when you think about it is the actual removal, which usually requires manual removal anyways(the flux trojan for example). Some AT like Ewido have extended databases which detect spyware or adware, but there are free solutions out that are better at this. ASquared is another AT that has a built in Intrusion Detection system that helps find Trojans by watching there actions(this may provide something that NOD32 doesn't) as well as using the traditional signature method. One thing to be carefull about is keeping your security applications from overlapping each others features.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  10. chuckenheimer

Well, you all have certainly given me a lot to think about. It begins to get over my head as I delve into each of these protections. Trying to learn the advanced firewall settings of my ISP's Home Portal (router, switch, DSL modem, firewall) is a bit of a task now but I'm making some headway each day.

I'll continue to read these forum posts to stay up and thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.