after recover my 120gb disk only have 58gb left?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by udu, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. udu

udu Registered Member

hi there

i am a newbie on ti 10. i buyed a new 120gb disk for my dell-notebook(6400 inspiron). therefore i made a backup of my old 60gb disk. after that i changed it by 120gb and made a recovery. everything ran well and after reboot i had again windows with all programs running. but - instead of 120gb i had onyl 60gb, so it was exacty like the original disk. also in the bio there are only 60gb.

any ideas what i made wrong and how i can reconfigure it to 120gb?

rgds urs

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

There are a few options to get back the rest of the space. This is the one I use.
    1. Make the bootable Rescue CD from the True Image software.
    2. Boot with the CD.
    3. From the menu choose Manage Acronis Secure Zone and create the Secure Zone. Any size will do as long as it is less than the missing space.
    4. Once the SZ is created go right back into Manage Acronis Secure Zone and delete the SZ.
    5. The process will ask if you want to allocate all the space to the rest of the drive (or words to that effect). Choose yes.
    6. Exit the CD menu, remove the CD and reboot.
    That's it.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Hi Ralphie,

Since his BIOS says the disk is only 60GB will this trick still work?

To udu:

If it doesn't work have a look at:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=166528

A key part of the process in using, in his case, the Hitachi program to reset the disk size.

4. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

You're right ... probably not ... I missed that part. Although I can't imagine why a modern notebook like that would have a bios that cannot see 120Gb.
    There's a very similar problem in this thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=166528

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't think it is a BIOS problem. This issue has turned up several times in the past and I get the impression that something writes into an area on the disk during a restore that the BIOS reads to know about its size. IIRC, one poster actually returned his disk to the vendor after this happened thinking it became faulty.

I wonder if the disk size was reset to the proper size using the manufacturer's utility like mentioned in the thread we both referenced and then the TI trick you mentioned to recover unused space was applied would work.

Like I said in the bottom of the referenced thread it would be nice if Acronis would reply with just what is going on. I don't know about you, but I sometimes feel like I am urinating into the wind providing things to try when somebody at Acronis knows exactly what is going on. They seem to gather data and provide the user a solution but we never find out what the real problem/fix is in many cases.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello udu,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

We need some additional information to investigate this issue thoroughly and to provide you with a possible workaround. Could you please do the following?

1) Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post with both hard drives plugged in.

2) Make a pictures of the BIOS settings, which shows the hard drives capacity.

3) Provide the exact vendor and model of both hard drives you use. In addition, make a pictures of the hard drives itself.

Then submit a request for technical support with the subject indicating that you want to contact Aleksandr Isakov. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

7. udu

udu Registered Member

hi there

thanks but i have solved it with hdat2, but it seems to be a problem created by acronis true image

rgds urs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.