After-Market GPS for Car

Discussion in 'polls' started by pvsurfer, Nov 7, 2006.

?

Which brand is the most reliable (instruction & build-quality)?

1. Cobra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Garmin

33.3%
  3. Lowrance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Magellan

25.0%
  5. Tom Tom

16.7%
  6. Other

25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I need to buy an after-market GPS for my car, but I'm a novice in this area. Because of vision problems, I'd like at least a 4" display, voice turn-instructions and it's got to be dash-mounted. But most of all, I want reliability (in its routing-directions and its build-quality).

Which brand do you recommend?

1. Cobra
    2. Garmin
    3. Lowrance
    4. Magellan
    5. Tom Tom
    6. Other

-------------

PS. I chose 'Other' so that the results would be visable to me.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used magellan in several rental cars and it has never failed to work perfectly. Very loud vocal instructions, large and clear display and can be mounted just about anywhere you want in the vehicle.

3. pvsurfer

Thanks for the reply bigc... Judging from the lack of participation in my poll, it appears that not too many here are using after-market GPS nav systems!

4. big ed

big ed Registered Member

I have MS Streets & Trips w/GPS for my laptop. Have only had it out for test runs and so far....ok...barely. As it's to be used mainly in a 40' L - 11.5' H - 8.6' W motorhome I would only use it for the main routes. Try backing up one of those babies after going 1 1/2 miles down a skinny Dead End street. Unlike a few others, it is not an RV friendly program.

I'm pretty sure that all these types of units carry a disclaimer as to their accuracy! Good way to check any of them out is to plot some trips to known destinations.

But...if there is a Boo Boo made I'm in the clear cause Wifey has to give me the turn by turn instructions!

Real men don't ask for directions, ed

5. rondijack

rondijack Registered Member

Ihave used the Garmin unit with great success. I haven't tried others so can't compare but I find the Garmin easy to set up and use. It has given me instructions that an address was on the opposite side of the street but other than that has been quite accurate.

6. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Garmin GPS V has provided excellent driving as well as Marine BlueChart for my use for over four years and they have all improved a lot since. Garmin's support has been excellent and their quality is top-of-the-line.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp?_SetCurrentVersion=EN&Group=2

GPS Forums (link above) would provide you with the most up-to-date info on the subject.

7. pvsurfer

Thanks for the link. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.