After Initial Install - XP will not reboot - True Image 10

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by chrisjjfoster, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisjjfoster

chrisjjfoster Registered Member

Just to begin, I rebuilt my computer from scratch on a new hard drive and have been using it for a week with no problems until Acronis was introduced. Dell PIII Desktop - with two internal IDE drives (160GB IDE (Master/Boot) & 160 GB IDC (Slave/Secondary). I am running Win XP Home SP2 with all updates. After installing Acronis TI10, I setup a backup folder on the secondary drive and a safe zone partition also on the secondary drive on a established dedicated partition (30 GB). I prompted Acronis TI10 to create a backup of my boot drive which only contains my OS and drivers that I installed. During the process it (Acronis TI10) attempted to reboot unsuccessfully. In the first few seconds of booting, it throws the Disk Problem hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot....it keeps doing to this in an endless cycle. How do I fix this problem? Surely a product that has won so many awards/and is recommended would take my system down on the first reboot.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Try running the procedure from the bootable True Image Rescue cd which you can make from the installed software.
    Unless you think you might accidentally delete any images you make, I wouldn't use the Secure Zone to hold them. The SZ was primarily meant for the days when most systems had only one drive and external drives or even a second internal drive was a distant thought.

3. chrisjjfoster

Any recommendations on correcting the boot issue...I understand that Acronis changes the MBR (master boot record). I'm just guessing but I think this has to be my issue. If use the window repair console, I would assume it would remove any ref to Acronis and I'm back to square 1.

4. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

My recommendations:
    If I where you, I would check the drive letters. When using windows xp and true image, during the restoration process the drive letters can get changed around. When the computer keeps going into an endless cycle during bootup, it means the operating system registry cannot find the startup files because it's looking for them in the wrong drive.
    A good diagnostic tool to use is the demo of "paragon justboot corrector", it's a bootup utility that will scan your non-booting hard drive and let you see where the drive letters are on all the partitions. Your system partition needs to be c: (on most default installations).
    This is an easy thing to check and fix. If this isn't your problem, at least you eliminate drive letters change as a culprit. To fix the problem you just need to change the drive letters in the registry and reboot, usually a 5 minute fix with the right utilitys.

directions for changing drive letters with freeware.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174958

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Did you also install the Startup Recovery Manager?

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

As hinted by Grover, when you created the Acronis Secure Zone, I think you probably accepted TI's default option to also activate the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager (SRM). Activating the SRM modifies the Master Boot Record (MBR) on the main system disk.

Assuming the main system disk on your rebuilt computer contained a standard MBR (i.e. no multi-boot or hidden diagnostic/recovery partitions), then you can repair this as follows:

1. Boot into the Windows Recovery Console via your Windows installation CD and issue the command fixmbr

or

2. Use the Acronis mbrautowrite utility as detailed in the forum sticky titled <Please Read Before You Post>

Regards

Menorcaman

7. chrisjjfoster

Thanks for the all the help because your comments were spot on.

1) I did need to change my drive letters. My boot drive was added recently and was not call c:. Corrected that issue.
    2) The boot record was corrupt however fixmbr did not fix the problem. After repairing Windows things starting working

Thanks for the sugguestions

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.