Adware scanning and removing freeware

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by newbie2247, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbie2247

newbie2247 Registered Member

Currently and for the longest time the only freeware program I can find on the Internet to specifically remove ADWARE is Superantispyware. It's the only one I can find (since ESET does not do this) and I'm not particularly wild about it either. Not at all. It's OK but.....

Are there any others out there? Please advise as I am desperate to chuck Superantispyware for many various reasons. I know Adaware is still out there but recently they have changed it dramatically and added an anti-virus component to it now which will not play nicely at all with my ESET Smart Security at all. So Lavasoft is out. I am all set for anti-spyware. Very much so. It is the ADWARE I want to scan for and remove.

I also wish to get rid of TRACKING COOKIES & DATA MINERS which, again, ESET SS Suite does not do. Not sure if my anti-spyware programs do that and need to be educated on that issue. Which freeware programs, if any can I use for that?

My husband has the Norton 2011 Suite and that does absolutely everything for him and then some. I am so jealous and GREEN with envy. :(

All my O/S info is down below with my signature.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

I wouldnt throw out superantispyware.
    Its one of the best in terms of detection and removal.
    The only thing i can think of thats wrong with it is its kind of mmm...butt-ugly.
    What were your complaints about it?
    Another good one is Emsisoft Emergency Kit, but beware of false positives.

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/

I would use both of these and also malwarebytes for on demand scanners.
    All of these are "crippled freeware" meaning you have to pay to add real time protection.

For cookies and data miners there are extensions for firefox you can add that deal with both.
    I use cookiesafe (cslight), and there is at least one extension for data miners called trackmenot. (havent used it though)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.