Advice To Uninstall Spyware Blaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by troothteller, Sep 25, 2014.

1. troothteller

troothteller Registered Member

In response to problems regarding Bitdefender, how my ability to stream video from particular sites ended with my installing it, Bitdefender technicians, by analyzing a log, advised me to uninstall your product, Malwarebytes Anti-malware and SuperAntiSpyware. Given the length of time I had all three programs, I am more likely to uninstall Bitdefender. I have these programs on both my Windows 7 64-bit and Windows XP-Pro. Bitdefender claims that your product and the other two conflict with Bitdefender. Based on your threads, I am likely to keep what I already had. My Windows 7 is on a MSI A6200 laptop and my XP is on a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4002 laptop. It sounds like Bitdefender cannot advise me on how to configure it, though thankfully you provide links to other antivirus products. Does anyone think there is any truth to Bitdefender's advice?

2. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Hello troothteller:

BrightFort's SpywareBlaster enables the creation and editing of entries in your OS's registry at
    Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains
    and although false positives are certainly in the realm of possibility, any suspect entry could simply be edited out at your own peril. If one of SpywareBlaster's database updates has installed an entry in the above registry, chances are good that a like restriction entry could exist in the hpHosts and MVPS hosts file databases. These inclusions are for your system's protection.

I, like you, would give much thought to a vendor's support advice that has you uninstalling multiple products, of good reputation, in favor of theirs.

HTH :)

3. troothteller

Thanks for your timely assistance. Going into registry is something else that one does at his own peril. My response to Bitdefender is to uninstall their product for their advice, "Don't configure our product, but uninstall the other guy's." For the moderators here, some of the links to free antivirus programs are out-of-date. Without going into detail, some of the products are no longer available, some sites no longer exist and some of those products are no longer free. Semantic now owns PC Tools, a lookup I distinctly remember.

4. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Hello troothteller:

What is distressing to me is that all though I don't use or recommend Bitdefender products to friends and family, I am fairly sure Bitdefender is an effective product line and I'm fairly sure their products can be made to work with those of other companies given the correct mutual exclusion entries. I have used SpywareBlaster Free, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Professional/Premium, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional/Lifetime together for years and all with no ill effects.

Perhaps the advice you received was from one with lesser experience. As such I hope a member of Bitdefender management reads this and takes the appropriate corrective action.

If through effective sleuthing you locate SpywareBlaster's registry entry that keeps your streaming video from working, additional investigation may allow you to gauge that individual entry against your current possible exposure to attack and/or malware threat.

Cheers. :)

5. troothteller

Though I don't go into Registry much, I always create backups and file them all together if I think some change to my system is going to drastically alter it. This time I did not go into it since the advice did not tell me exactly what to do (i.e., change the value, delete it?) So, I found a program CYSEC that installed and ran without any detectable interference. Thanks to all. Bitdefender is gone and no one from there ever got back to me.

6. troothteller

Thinking you might all want to see this posted, forgive me if there are links you don't allow. This morning I received the following unexpected reply from Bitdefender, to which I will not respond:

Private message removed.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/help/terms

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2014
  7. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Hello troothteller:

I'm sorry your PM from Bitdefender needed to be removed due to Wilders policies.

More out of curiosity, what is your full-time A/V now?

If you are still asking how to disable an individual URL block through SpywareBlaster, open its GUI and under Protection Status left-click the browser you're using or Restricted Sites. Locate the URL that blocks your streaming video and untick/uncheck the entry in question followed by left-clicking Remove Protection for Unchecked Items. This procedure avoids the use of regedit.exe but still achieves your goal.

https://www.brightfort.com/support/...ing-the-spywareblaster-block-and-ignore-lists

HTH :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  8. troothteller

My full-time AV is CYSCE, which a Wikipedia article referenced. The PM you took down, to summarize, shared warnings Bitdefender makes in advance, with a Microsoft article, about multiple malware programs on the same computer, although we are dealing with separate AV and spyware programs that ideally should not conflict. I just opened Spyware Blaster, which was good now that there are updates to install; however, I did not find an entry for the site in question. Besides, some blocking on it is necessary; otherwise, a viewer will see popups. Anyway, the problem was not Spyware Blaster, but Bitdefender, as I confirmed before removing Bitdefender. With it and restarting in Safe Mode With Networking, I could stream video from the site.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.